U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 05:54 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,174,250 times

Advertisements

New York City cab drivers are among the most friendly people I have encountered in my life.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 06:04 AM

32,073 posts, read 32,974,848 times
I found the locals in Shandong Province in China to be very friendly and helpful to foreigners. People from this area of China are known to be friendly.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:55 AM

13,820 posts, read 18,787,294 times
unfriendly : Paris , London the snobbery in London was horrible you would have thought I had a 3rd head I kid you not .
my uncle said japan and china
friendly : Dublin Ireland and also Belfast and cork too
Scotland Edinboro and another city we visited and I cant remember the darn name of course this was years ago .

Old 03-11-2019, 08:04 AM

51 posts, read 192,981 times
Ireland! Friendliest people I've ever met (the Irish). They will strike up genuine conversations with you, offer advice on where to go or what to do even without you asking. Hands down, nicest people I've ever met.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:38 AM

12,291 posts, read 18,405,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
And 25 years ago, everyone in China dropped what they were doing to see to our needs. I've heard it isn't like that anymore.
25 years ago in China a westerner was relatively rare and were treated like celebrities. Not anymore, it's just not a big deal.
And now big Chinese cities are like any big cities anywhere in the world - cold and fast moving with everyone looking down at cell phones. They don't cater to tourist, they cater to doing business. If they are friendly - chances are they are scammers.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:59 AM

371 posts, read 284,397 times
In my experiences the friendliest is by far Sri Lanka. Thailand and Nicaragua are also very friendly.
Least friendly: Morocco, Mexico, eastern USA from MD to MA and all states in between.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:45 PM

1,187 posts, read 663,585 times
We found Scotland to be very friendly and helpful, from the taxi drivers to the really engaging bed and breakfast folks. They really seem to like Americans.

On a local bus ride in the Highlands a lady sat in the seat ahead of us and gave a running commentary on the sights we were passing and what restaurants we might like.

The Irish are also very friendly. I always bring photos of my grandparents so in the more remote areas where their last names are common they consider me a long lost cousin - probably hard for me to judge otherwise.

We actually found Paris quite friendly but we could speak enough French to get by and observed local customs.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:51 PM

4,403 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
New York City cab drivers are among the most friendly people I have encountered in my life.
In Georgia Republic everybody is pretty friendly EXCEPT the taxi drivers. Every single one tried to rip me, some took me to the wrong place, none were helpful. I even saw fist-fights in the streets between cabbies and their fares.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:50 PM

17,398 posts, read 21,234,308 times
Generally speaking, the friendliest people I've encountered have been in 3rd world countries and among the least educated populace.

Tucson is a poor city, and very, very friendly people here.

Unfriendly = Las Vegas.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:26 PM

5,939 posts, read 2,891,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
In Georgia Republic everybody is pretty friendly EXCEPT the taxi drivers. Every single one tried to rip me, some took me to the wrong place, none were helpful.
Same same Vietnam.

Overall folks in Vietnam are very friendly and open, really curious and like to show off whatever English they have. However we've had taxi drivers lie to us that our guest house had burned down last year, bring us to hotels with similar name where someone is waiting out front to assure us it's the correct place when it definitely isn't, etc. and then they'll act like okay no harm no foul you caught me I'll take you where you wanted.

In Thailand it's the tuk-tuk drivers, they can get really nasty really quickly if there is any dispute about them trying to rip you off. As a general rule in SE Asia you're okay flagging down a passing tuk-tuk, but any of them waiting outside a tourist site or transportation hub be really careful. If they have a really nice English speaking local nearby who wants to help arrange the ride then avoid at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or