U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 09:19 PM

1,483 posts, read 541,377 times

Advertisements

Forgot to include Cuba. The people are great there, although that’s true for most parts of the world. People are open to helping if you treat them with respect. Not every US traveler wants to put their best foot forward.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 10:35 PM

447 posts, read 287,254 times
QUOTE=GotHereQuickAsICould;54641803]Scotland was the friendliest place I've ever visited.

Montreal was the unfriendliest.

Several of us who only spoke English were invited to speak at a conference. The local populations as well as the conference attendees were consistently arrogant, rude, and unfriendly to us because we were not not able to speak French.

It is still a mystery why they invited us.[/quote]

Where I live there are many people from Montreal who come here for the winter. They are just as unfriendly, rude and arrogant here in the US as in their own country as you stated. And they expect everyone to speak their language. I get spoken to all the time in French. Lol

Old 03-12-2019, 12:08 AM

9,150 posts, read 3,003,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
At times there are articles and discussion threads on the 'friendliest' places you've ever visited.

In all my travels internationally and in parts of the U.S., I don't think any place has struck me as being particularly friendly. I've been to Japan, Thailand, Germany, Mexico, and other places, and I haven't experienced anyone going out of their way to be nice to me.

Anyone else?

The people of Burns, Oregon.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:19 AM

3,660 posts, read 3,520,208 times
Most Unfriendly Place = Scotland, especially Edinburgh.

They like only Americans, not other nationalities.
Their face expression changes from "Friendly" to "Who are You" when they meet with people from other countries.

They are rude despite us giving money to them.

England, France, Spain are way way better !!!

Old 03-12-2019, 07:49 AM

6,582 posts, read 2,369,662 times
I've never been outside of the contiguous US...so my traveling experience is limited. But I've been to Tennessee quite a few times over the coarse of my life, and people have always been consistently friendly, in my experience.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:57 AM

724 posts, read 482,214 times
Friendliest
Western North Carolina. The people there are just so dang nice and helpful. Never seem to be urgent and will give up a smile quickly.

Unfriendliest
French Canadians. Hands down. Arrogant attitude that is comically over the top.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:27 AM

6,842 posts, read 3,716,925 times
Kind of funny, we just got back to Tennessee from NY and my wife and I had this conversation last night. We talked it over and felt that people in NY weren't any less friendly/more unfriendly than around here. Pretty much everyone we met along our trip was polite and friendly. The difference we did notice as we came home was there was a general higher level of happiness (for lack of any other word) among the people in the south as opposed to up north. Not that anyone in particular we interacted with was more or less rude in either place, but that just watching people in general in the stores, they overall seemed happier and less harried here than NY.

As for the worst place we've visited, that would be Jamaica. Haven't been all around the world, but Jamaica was overall the rudest place we've visited. Kind of a shame because the island was so beautiful, but it made us never want to go back.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:44 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,420,410 times
I've only traveled within North America. These are off the top of my head.

Ashland, OR (Oregon as a whole is on the better side of friendly)
Spokane, WA
Phoenix, AZ
Chicago, IL (I'd say more engaging than friendly)
Springfield, IL
Cairo, IL
Owensboro, KY (this one really sticks out)
Kansas City, MO
Toledo, OH

Edmonton, AB

Tijuana, BC

I think the Montreal conversation is interesting. It's been on my list of places to go for quite some time. I met a guy and his wife on their motorcycle at the top of Capulin Mountain in New Mexico. They were from Montreal, and went on and on with me about how beautiful the US is and how great of a time they were having cruising the US on their bike.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:08 AM

5,748 posts, read 4,561,409 times
I've been a lot of places in the world and I'd have to say the Philippines. I just spent 3 weeks there, every table/picnic you walk by, you are immediately asked to join/eat/drink. Actually, not really asked. They demand it .

Old 03-12-2019, 11:34 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,124,283 times
Fiji - hands down the friendliest and happiest people I've encountered in all of my travels. Bula!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or