U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 12:00 AM

4,634 posts, read 4,744,649 times

Advertisements

Least friendly: French Canadians in Quebec and remarkably, in Florida, where they are even worse.

Most friendly: rural northern New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 05:22 AM

477 posts, read 426,987 times
I suspect that a lot of English-speakers here confuse locals not being fluent in English with being unfriendly.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:47 AM

378 posts, read 103,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post

I think the Montreal conversation is interesting. It's been on my list of places to go for quite some time. I met a guy and his wife on their motorcycle at the top of Capulin Mountain in New Mexico. They were from Montreal, and went on and on with me about how beautiful the US is and how great of a time they were having cruising the US on their bike.
The whole French Canadian situation is interesting. There clearly are FCs who are worldly enough to understand that acting like a cartoon character horse's butt, while traveling in another country, only makes you look like, and get treated like one. Others, OTOH are genuinely good people that happen to be FC. I have an FC aunt and uncle by marriage. The uncle joined the US military at an early age, and is one of the nicest, friendliest people on the planet, his wife is the same. The whole question of them ever acting like typical miserable Frenchies is unknowable at this point, since they left Quebec many decades ago. They both had extremely successful careers, her's was managing hundreds of people. Neither would of gotten very far had they acted like their typical neighbors from home. Joining our military as a FC recruit who makes it clear that they are superior in every way, and that only fools speak English as their only language, would certainly make an entertaining and short career. (and a pretty funny movie)

I've traveled extensively in all of North America. I have encountered really awesome folks from Quebec, some who have casually apologized for the behavior of their fellow Quebec residents. I have also frequently encountered folks from other provinces who absolutely hate them, with a passion. One of the most hilarious was a retired High School teacher and basketball coach who was told that he was going to be honored for his career, at a fancy event. Once he was told that he had to leave his province and cross into Quebec to attend the event, he declined. Even an award banquet, an entire evening of colleagues lauding his notable career, was not worth entering Quebec for, LOL.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:53 AM

6,973 posts, read 3,872,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Friendliest-
Charleston, S.C
Dern Near every Mid west town I visited...
Mobile, Ala.
Bar Harbor, Maine
antwerpen, Belgium

Any place in Jamaica! From the tourist areas to the Mountain retreats...Lovely place!! No worries

least friendly:
NYC and all its boroughs....
Most NJ towns...
Houston, TX ( Got assaulted there ...)
Miami, FL
Interesting that you got mugged in Houston, but it's New York that gets bolded - what did they do to you?

Old 03-13-2019, 06:42 AM

3,664 posts, read 3,523,119 times
Friendliness of Locals also depend on who you are.
Black or Chinese or Arab or White American will have different experience of the same Locals !!!

Old 03-13-2019, 07:01 AM

6,595 posts, read 1,361,653 times
Wisconsin, no question about it. (I have been to or through about 35 states, btw, and lived in four of them.)

Btw, I do agree about Montreal and the province of Quebec being generally unfriendly -- but the people in Ontario and B.C. were very friendly for the most part, we thought.

Also, the people of Alabama seemed to be friendly, but they were fake friendly and very hypocritical in my experience. I lived in Montgomery for eight months in 1973, and absolutely hated it.

Last edited by katharsis; 03-13-2019 at 08:03 AM..

Old 03-13-2019, 08:02 AM

26,528 posts, read 62,986,490 times
Cave City Kentucky off season. everyone was awesome. Our waitress even invited us to a barbecue.

I find people are generally friendly almost everywhere if you engage them respectfully and are not trying to monopolize their time when they are too busy. East coast may be an exception at times, but not always. One time in New York city, a place notorious for rudeness and people generally not caring about others, we arrived late at the Museum of Natural History. My daughter who as about 16 really wanted to see a special display they had about unicorns, but it was closing in five minutes. We talked to the security guard asking him if he had seen it and could he describe it to us since she would not be able to see it. He was very friendly and helpful and eventually called his boss who took us up a back elevator and gave us a tour of the exhibit after it had closed.

Anywhere I go, I love learning about what life is like for the people who live there. It seems most people love talking about themselves if you are actually interested and not playing games or being condescending. they will usually open up even if they are initially suspicious and soon you will have a new friend, even if it is only for an hour. I would agree with the stereotype that New York and Boston are much more difficult to find friendly people, but did not find that as much in Maine, New Hampshire, Connecticut, etc. I think living in a big crowded city tends to make people more unfriendly. Still even in big crowded cities, there are lots of friendly people. It just might be more work to find them.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:30 AM

3,664 posts, read 3,523,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Cave City Kentucky off season. everyone was awesome. Our waitress even invited us to a barbecue.

I find people are generally friendly almost everywhere if you engage them respectfully and are not trying to monopolize their time when they are too busy. East coast may be an exception at times, but not always. One time in New York city, a place notorious for rudeness and people generally not caring about others, we arrived late at the Museum of Natural History. My daughter who as about 16 really wanted to see a special display they had about unicorns, but it was closing in five minutes. We talked to the security guard asking him if he had seen it and could he describe it to us since she would not be able to see it. He was very friendly and helpful and eventually called his boss who took us up a back elevator and gave us a tour of the exhibit after it had closed.

Anywhere I go, I love learning about what life is like for the people who live there. It seems most people love talking about themselves if you are actually interested and not playing games or being condescending. they will usually open up even if they are initially suspicious and soon you will have a new friend, even if it is only for an hour. I would agree with the stereotype that New York and Boston are much more difficult to find friendly people, but did not find that as much in Maine, New Hampshire, Connecticut, etc. I think living in a big crowded city tends to make people more unfriendly. Still even in big crowded cities, there are lots of friendly people. It just might be more work to find them.

In Big cities, many people we encounter are also outsiders / non-native to that city.

Born and Brought Up Locals of that big city turn out to be more friendlier.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 AM

629 posts, read 493,127 times
Most friendly - west of Ireland; Portugal; Norway; Iceland.

Least friendly - Spain; Germany.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:51 PM

10,224 posts, read 12,262,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz22 View Post
most local islanders in the caribbean are laid back and friendly. Generally, the less busy and crowded the place is, the friendlier it is.
this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or