Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 07:51 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times

Advertisements

It doesn't even have to be islanders, folks on the Carribe coast of Honduras, Nicaragua, Colombia, Venezuela, etc. are distinctly more laid back than inlanders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 08:11 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
At times there are articles and discussion threads on the 'friendliest' places you've ever visited.

In all my travels internationally and in parts of the U.S., I don't think any place has struck me as being particularly friendly. I've been to Japan, Thailand, Germany, Mexico, and other places, and I haven't experienced anyone going out of their way to be nice to me.

Anyone else?
You need to go on a quest. My wife and her best friend drove 900 miles and back to rescue a springer spaniel. They came back raving about how wonderful everyone they met was.

"What are you strangers doing in town?"

"We're driving through your state to give a home to a homeless five year old springer spaniel."

The chef came out of the kitchen to meet them. They got free delicacies. They got room upgrades. Their quest moved them to the top of the "good people" list.

I laughed and laughed as they told me the story.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:40 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Most local islanders in the Caribbean are laid back and friendly.
Yes, I had a couple of 15-20 hour layovers in Trinidad, and several people working around the airport virtually adopted me.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:35 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
I suspect that a lot of English-speakers here confuse locals not being fluent in English with being unfriendly.
In Montreal, the locals went out of their way to be unfriendly in English.

From what I could tell, most people were bilingual. That was certainly the case at the conference.

Presumably, the FC in Florida could speak English and they still have a reputation for being arrogant and rude.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 AM

At one time, I traveled all over France by train and on foot. Every once in a while I ran across someone who was deliberately unfriendly. But nothing like Montreal.

Many of the people I interacted with in France did not speak English and still were friendly.

I think this is unique to Quebec.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:42 AM

565 posts, read 671,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
At one time, I traveled all over France by train and on foot. Every once in a while I ran across someone who was deliberately unfriendly. But nothing like Montreal.

Many of the people I interacted with in France did not speak English and still were friendly.

I think this is unique to Quebec.
I think what's unique is the attitude of some English speakers when they come to Quebec. They expect every $12/hour Rivière-du-Loup McDonald's employee to be bilingual, get offended when people don't understand them, and just repeat everything LOUDER, with an angry tone, in English, as if that would help. I've seen a lot of those...

Old 03-14-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
I think what's unique is the attitude of some English speakers when they come to Quebec. They expect every $12/hour Rivière-du-Loup McDonald's employee to be bilingual, get offended when people don't understand them, and just repeat everything LOUDER, with an angry tone, in English, as if that would help. I've seen a lot of those...
Could be. I didn't see that, and that certainly wasn't the case with the group I was with. No one was angry, shouting, or in any way belligerent. We were using our high school French, and our phrase books, attempting to discuss things with conference colleagues, order meals, purchase admission tickets, etc.

It's been several decades and I can still recall how unfriendly everyone was. On the flight home, we were all wondering why they they invited us.

Your explanation certainly doesn't explain the arrogant, rude behavior of FCs in Florida.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 03-14-2019 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-14-2019, 10:28 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
At times there are articles and discussion threads on the 'friendliest' places you've ever visited.

In all my travels internationally and in parts of the U.S., I don't think any place has struck me as being particularly friendly. I've been to Japan, Thailand, Germany, Mexico, and other places, and I haven't experienced anyone going out of their way to be nice to me.

Anyone else?
North Carolina mountains. My wife and I got stuck there at a gas station trying to get back home to Florida at the end of a vacation. A hurricane had hit up north and messed up a processing center where our bank card was located, and we couldn't use our card to get gas to get home. We had no cash and no other cards. The bank offered to wire us money to a Winn Dixie, of which there were none in the area we were stuck in.

A guy at a gas pump near us overheard us talking on the phone with the bank, and came up and offered to give us money for the gas. I was pretty taken aback and explained to him that we didn't have any money and couldn't pay him. He said "I understand, just send me a check when you get home."

So he paid for our gas, we hit the road, and we mailed him the money as soon as we got back.

SS

Old 03-14-2019, 01:19 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I guess it's what you bring to it. I found the people of Montreal and in France to be very friendly and helpful. NYC too.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I guess it's what you bring to it. I found the people of Montreal and in France to be very friendly and helpful. NYC too.
Could be.

I've found the people of France and NYC to be friendly and helpful. In fact, I've found people everywhere I've traveled to be friendly and helpful.

Montreal is the only place that comes to mind for rude, arrogant, unfriendly, and unhelpful residents.

Seems I'm not the only one who has had this experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel