U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 06:09 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,516,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Do people actually book flights using online travel sites? It doesn't save any money compared to using the airline site and it provides an awful lot of opportunity for something to go drastically wrong. Hotels? Sure. You can often find much cheaper rates, particularly gaming Priceline "Name your price" on a prepaid.

I used to do it many years ago- like orbitz, expedia.

Once I booked thru Disney as they gave a better rate then airline website for flights to Orlando.

But later on, I figured out that in case of cancellations / delays / change of flights/ international travel - better stick to booking from Airline site only otherwise you become the first passenger to get stuck. They can easily say "Call your agent " in any foreign country. When you miss your connection, they give priority to their own passengers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 10:56 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,093,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Here's my view on these things.. If a reasonable person were looking at the fare and would deduce it was 'too good to be true'.. Then I don't feel an airline is under any obligation to honor that fare.

They SHOULD, in the interest of good customer service, probably toss a voucher or so out.

But.. Look at it this way.. Flight from Point A to Point B is $1000, you find the fare for $50.

No question that's a mistake. If you book it, the airline is obligated to refund your money if they cancel the ticket, but that's it.

Next example.. You find a fare that is normally $250 and you can book it for $79

You know.. That's NOT outrageous, that's not an obvious mistake.. The airline would be obligated (in my eyes) to honor that fare.

I have zero sympathies for these people who watch and wait for a mistake and then book it.. And those people exist. You can find forums where they discuss them.
I am one of those people but I never look for sympathy when a fare doesn't stick. I have won some (Abu Dhabi for 218 R/T, Business Class to Bangkok for $650 r/t, and one way from the Maldives to NYC for $100) and I have lost others, Ethiopian Airlines and Delta cancelled a couple recently.

But there are times when something that looks like an error fare is really a sale by the airline. Recently I snagged DC to Australia for under $500, DC to Tahiti for under $500 and NYC to Kenya for about $300. These were all legit fares offered by the airlines. They is to be be flexible and ready to pounce when they come up, that is usually harder to do than finding a great fare.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:01 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,093,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Do people actually book flights using online travel sites? It doesn't save any money compared to using the airline site and it provides an awful lot of opportunity for something to go drastically wrong. Hotels? Sure. You can often find much cheaper rates, particularly gaming Priceline "Name your price" on a prepaid.
For the most part you are better off booking through the airline's site but occasionally the fare is only available through the OTA so you have to book through them to get it. Also some OTAs are starting to offer perks that make it worth booking through them vs. directly through the airline. For example Orbitz will give you orbitz bucks back which you can use towards hotel bookings and if you reach a certain level they will reimburse you baggage fees on flights that you book through Orbitz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or