U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 12:08 AM

372 posts, read 129,855 times

Advertisements

I normally fly with jetblue or american. I have flown with delta before as well. I spoke to delta airlines rep on the phone and asked about their cancellation policy. Its 24 hours cancellation but if you do it say after midnight, well you actually have close to 48 hours or so. So if you do it in the afternoon, you have till the next day at 11:59pm that they tell me. Now i asked them well you can cancel it as long as the flight is at least 7 days away right? This is the policy with jetblue and american i recalled. Thus say you book a flight that is 2 weeks away. You have 24 hours to cancel it. But say you book a flight that is say 3 days from now, well that 24 hour cancellation cannot work because the flight is within 7 days.

Delta tells me they do not have this policy. Thus say you book a flight that will be in 3 days. Say you book the flight right now. Well you would be able to cancel it till the following night according to them... even though the flight is the next day. This rep confirmed this many times and i thought... how is that even possible. Does anyone know if this is true for those who fly with delta? If so, this is very lenient of them etc if this is true? Im close to sure jetblue and american airlines does not allow any cancellation if your flight departs within 7 days.

Anyone know about this with Delta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 06:28 AM

7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
A quick internet search says Delta has a policy that tickets purchased within 24 hours of scheduled departure are not subject to the 24 hour refund rule. But they give their gate agents and other customer service reps a good amount of flexibility in terms of changing or canceling those tickets for a refund if there is a good reason to make a goodwill gesture about it

Old 03-11-2019, 07:59 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
The law/rule that requires a 24 hour period for refunds states this is only required if it is 7 days before the flight. So AA and JetBlue apparently comply with the law. If this is true about Delta, that simply means they are going above/beyond what the law requires.

I do not have any personal experience...have only purchased flights inside of one week about 3 times ever and never changed/canceled any of those.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:25 AM

12,258 posts, read 18,393,933 times
https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-cancel/cancel-flight

Old 03-11-2019, 01:07 PM

2,069 posts, read 3,501,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Anyone know about this with Delta?
This is true. The purchase does not need to be 7 days in advance of the flight for the 24 hour cancellation policy to apply. This is another reason why Delta is such a great airline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or