U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 07:28 AM

916 posts, read 469,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Yes, use the check in kiosk or have the airline clerk print it. I pay enough for my seat without having to buy some fancy paper. I use my phone for concert tickets.
+1 This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 09:57 AM

21,334 posts, read 21,906,527 times
still haven't bought in or accepted the use of smart phones for ticketing exchanges, I load the ticket image onto my phone and then scan the phone screen and then print out the scan and present that document to the ticket agent, nobody touches my phone

Old 03-12-2019, 12:28 PM

21,179 posts, read 11,803,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I’ve had technical issues with both my phone and on the airline’s end with electronic boarding passes so still always print a paper one as a back up. Some airlines will also still ask you to mail in the paper one if there is an issue with frequent flyer miles crediting correctly for a ticket so the paper one remains crumpled in my purse until the miles post
this

Old 03-12-2019, 12:51 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,201,002 times
Quote:
I’ve had technical issues with both my phone and on the airline’s end with electronic boarding passes so still always print a paper one as a back up. Some airlines will also still ask you to mail in the paper one if there is an issue with frequent flyer miles crediting correctly for a ticket so the paper one remains crumpled in my purse until the miles post
We take a screen shot of the boarding pass on our phone and keep it in photos until we see the mileage credit. If they need verification it can be emailed or printed out.

I think most travel agencies order their ticket stock through ARC, if they even still do that.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:27 PM

7,229 posts, read 12,680,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Today most of us typically print our own boarding passes and concert tickets at home, but an inconvenient side effect of this is that our tickets and boarding passes now look like every other sheet of 8x11 paper that we have.
I'm confused ... why don't you simply get the boarding pass from the printer and put it, you know, with your suitcase and other travel "stuff"? I have never confused a printed boarding pass with, say, an exam or class handout I've printed, so this assumption that this "side effect" is burdensome is puzzling to me.

And like some others who have posted in this thread, I have sometimes had trouble with the boarding pass on my phone not being "read" correctly, so I almost always have a printed copy as well. Most hotels will print them for free, which is handy for your return trip.

Quote:
For an upcoming trip I was wondering if anybody sells boarding pass card stock. In the past, I've used electronic copies on my phone as well as folded up 8x11 sheets of paper, but I've always thought a good old fashioned oblong piece of cardboard would be better than either of those, especially when I'm rummaging in my backpack for it, or my wife is doing the same in her purse.
As others have said, you can buy card stock at just about any office supply store.

I am curious, just how much paper are you and your wife carrying that you would somehow lose your boarding pass in the masses? I have a folder labeled "travel docs" that fits in a suitcase pocket, and that's where mine goes.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:04 PM

11,141 posts, read 8,551,921 times
Use the kiosk

Old 03-12-2019, 05:08 PM

900 posts, read 795,700 times
Quote:

I've never had any issues with boarding passes either on my phone, or printed on 8.5x11 paper. However, I sometimes find it a hassle to stop whatever I'm already doing on my phone just to find the image of my boarding pass. The image may rotate when I don't want it to, or even time out, depending on how long it takes me to reach the scanner after I've pulled up the image while waiting in line.

Although electronic passes work just as well, I agree it's a good idea to hold on to these things, just so you can verify you're being credited with your miles. That six-character booking number is always the easiest way of accessing your travel history.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:46 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,457,526 times
Quote:
Today most of us typically print our own boarding passes and concert tickets at home, but an inconvenient side effect of this is that our tickets and boarding passes now look like every other sheet of 8x11 paper that we have.

For an upcoming trip I was wondering if anybody sells boarding pass card stock. In the past, I've used electronic copies on my phone as well as folded up 8x11 sheets of paper, but I've always thought a good old fashioned oblong piece of cardboard would be better than either of those, especially when I'm rummaging in my backpack for it, or my wife is doing the same in her purse.
Seems like a waste of money

Old 03-13-2019, 10:02 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,201,002 times
I suppose attrition will take care of those hanging on to their paper tickets.

https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/story?id=4976367&page=1

Old 03-13-2019, 10:08 AM

21,179 posts, read 11,803,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I suppose attrition will take care of those hanging on to their paper tickets.

https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/story?id=4976367&page=1
boarding passes aren't the same thing as tickets. They still scan the code on the electronic boarding pass or on the piece of paper if you print it out at home or at the kiosk as you get on the plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or