U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 11:45 AM

146 posts, read 67,070 times

Advertisements

You could not drag me on to an airplane kicking and screaming. I will drive there thank you very much, and if I cannot drive I won't go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 11:50 AM

9,804 posts, read 5,012,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
You could not drag me on to an airplane kicking and screaming. I will drive there thank you very much, and if I cannot drive I won't go.
That's sad. So much of the world you're missing out on.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:32 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,015,071 times
I donít usually enquire about it, but I check my ticket to see what aircraft it is, as Iím generally interested in the different models in use. Not just for planes but any vehicle for that matter.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:47 PM

2,930 posts, read 3,051,171 times
Yes I do check, and , I make sure that I'm not flying United, American or Delta.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:12 PM

5,689 posts, read 8,599,419 times
I have full confidence in the 737 Max 8, however I don't have full confidence on the expertise of pilots of certain airlines especially in some countries such as Indonesia, Ethiopia, China etc. where hiring inexperienced pilots and poor training is pervasive.

The United States has the best pilots on the planet, heck one by the name of Sully even did the impossible by landing a plane in the river in one piece, so flying domestically I am very confident in the high standards that are followed in the US. In the developing world, not so much.

Quote:
I hope you know that statistically driving is much riskier than flying.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:58 PM

4,796 posts, read 3,231,718 times
Quote:
https://traveltips.usatoday.com/air-...avel-1581.html

Old 03-14-2019, 07:03 PM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
if I went to the airport today and my flight was on a 737 Max, it wouldn't bother me a bit.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:08 PM

6,204 posts, read 2,865,717 times
Nope. Only get upset when I'm told I have to spin the propellers as part of the priveledge to fly ten ft off the ground. Those puddle jumpers are a hoot!

Old 03-14-2019, 08:23 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,694,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I have full confidence in the 737 Max 8, however I don't have full confidence on the expertise of pilots of certain airlines especially in some countries such as Indonesia, Ethiopia, China etc. where hiring inexperienced pilots and poor training is pervasive.

The United States has the best pilots on the planet, heck one by the name of Sully even did the impossible by landing a plane in the river in one piece, so flying domestically I am very confident in the high standards that are followed in the US. In the developing world, not so much.
The irony in your comment is just amazing. It was an Indonesian pilot who accomplished a water landing of a Boeing 737 in a river in 2002, with only one casualty who was pulled out of the aircraft and drowned. I'm not knocking what Sully did - it was indeed amazing and he is a skilled pilot - but it just goes to show how you Americans are totally ignorant about anything that occurs outside your country and therefore have an inflated opinion of your own country. Sully's water landing was far from the first one. Even the Indonesian incident was not the first one. There have been water landings by Russian pilots in the 1960s on commercial flights

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garuda...sia_Flight_421

Old 03-15-2019, 03:38 AM

6,204 posts, read 2,865,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
The irony in your comment is just amazing. It was an Indonesian pilot who accomplished a water landing of a Boeing 737 in a river in 2002, with only one casualty who was pulled out of the aircraft and drowned. I'm not knocking what Sully did - it was indeed amazing and he is a skilled pilot - but it just goes to show how you Americans are totally ignorant about anything that occurs outside your country and therefore have an inflated opinion of your own country. Sully's water landing was far from the first one. Even the Indonesian incident was not the first one. There have been water landings by Russian pilots in the 1960s on commercial flights

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garuda...sia_Flight_421
Thanks for that general recap on water landings. Did these happen in a metropolis with other boats,high buildings, and barges in a narrow river way? Seems to me that to dismiss so eagerly the condition surrounding the landing does play a part. I tend to have a broader view on the hazards that added to the final.dissent.
I worry more about the ignorant who are passengers that if the plane did warrant an emergency landing would trample and use my body as a life preserver..while I'm still alive!! (Just kidding).
Safety is the issue and comes as a wakeup call to the airline industry and it's manufacturer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or