U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 11:06 AM

5,696 posts, read 8,604,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
The irony in your comment is just amazing. It was an Indonesian pilot who accomplished a water landing of a Boeing 737 i[/url]
This may be ironic but it is one single incident, perhaps that particular Indonesian pilot was brilliant, there are exceptions. However Garuda and Indonesia in general has one of the worst safety records in aviation, this is a known fact.

For the record I was born in the third world, I am a first gen US immigrant. I have also traveled to 60+ countries. I have a good worldwide perspective on things and i'm uniquely positioned to assess and contrast both the third world and the first world and I stand by my original statement - safety standards are way way higher in the west as opposed to the developing world. Not just in aviation but in everything else as well.

For instance, I am a Scuba diver. When I dive in the US the safety standards are incredible, they ask for everything, my log book, my experience etc. before allowing me on a dive... you will be refused if you don't have the requisite experience and no amount of payment will change that. In Mexico I have not been asked anything except for my credit card when doing some of the most advanced dives. In one case they did not even check if I was a certified diver. In Mexico as long as you pay nobody cares what experience you have...but your credit card better work!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 01:29 PM

3,451 posts, read 1,537,008 times
No. I just figure I'm lucky if there are any flights going on my route at all. That I can afford, and more or less when I need to go.

That said, I DID check my itinerary for aircraft for the next couple upcoming flights ....

Old 03-17-2019, 01:38 PM

7,306 posts, read 15,356,670 times
For the flights out of my small airport, I usually try to pick the mainline flight (ie: United or Alaska) with the full-size plane (which for this airport is an Airbus 320) rather than their regional carrier (Skywest, Horizon) with the much smaller planes (CRJ/Embraer).

The main reason for this is that I usually have to connect through either San Francisco or Denver and the full-size planes get better gate assignments AND when San Francisco gets their usual fog that cuts them down to one runway, the full-size planes have higher slot priority than the much smaller regional planes. Also the overhead bins are bigger on the larger planes and I am sometimes traveling with a musical instrument.

I also watch the booking (always made through the airline directly) carefully, because sometimes there is a last minute substitution which frequently involves switching to a smaller plane with fewer seats. If you are on top of the booking, you can usually make sure you still have a seat and an assigned seat at that.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-17-2019, 03:24 PM

7,684 posts, read 16,109,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post

I also watch the booking (always made through the airline directly) carefully, because sometimes there is a last minute substitution which frequently involves switching to a smaller plane with fewer seats. If you are on top of the booking, you can usually make sure you still have a seat and an assigned seat at that.
There's also the US DOT rule that says you're entitled to a refund or no cost ticket change if there's a change in operating carrier on the ticket and going from a mainline to a regional carrier or vice versa (example- United to United Express) or even regional to regional (example- United Express operated by Skywest to United Express operated by Mesa Airlines) counts as a change of operating carrier in the government's eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or