U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 02:12 AM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Places charging higher fees for tourists than nationals
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
That doesn't bother me; my feeling is that in many of these places the locals pay taxes to support them and I don't. In developing countries such as India where the average income is tiny, I'm particularly willing to pay more.
I agree with Athena here. The upkeep/marketing/preservation of these sites if often higher than what could be supported by charging fees in-line with local incomes. It wouldn't be right to deny sites like Bagan, Angkor Wat, Machu Picchu, Taj, etc. to locals by charging everyone higher fees, it's their country's heritage site and often a point of national pride. That $30 pass is nothing for Dieter who just flew from Germany, but for a local restaurant worker who wants to take family it's almost impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 03:23 AM

4,366 posts, read 1,660,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
These folks are also the most likely to resort to extreme levels of hyperbole to describe these interactions that millions of other travelers get through just fine.

Lining up like we've been doing since kindergarten becomes herded like cattle.
Having a bag checked is gross violation of civil rights.
Body pat-down which is less than 2% of passengers is TSA molesting/groping people.
Somehow all ticket agents and TSA are mean and nasty.
Somehow every fellow passenger is overweight and smells.
etc.
Exactly The real reason we shouldn't allow guns on planes.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:25 AM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times
Unwarranted Noise! Encountering a vehicle with an ear-splitting loud stereo system and car alarms. I was staying on an upper floor of a hotel in Quito on a Saturday night, and the car alarms were going off everywhere!

Old 03-16-2019, 03:44 AM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Unwarranted Noise!
I don't get where they have the ear-splitting big speakers on the sidewalk out front of stores playing music, does that really draw people in to shop? We had a carpet shop across from our guest house in Mandalay that would do this every day, seriously who's going to decide to buy a carpet because a song they like can be heard a block away?

It seems mainly a thing in developing countries where noise ordinances aren't common.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:08 AM

4,366 posts, read 1,660,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I don't get where they have the ear-splitting big speakers on the sidewalk out front of stores playing music, does that really draw people in to shop? We had a carpet shop across from our guest house in Mandalay that would do this every day, seriously who's going to decide to buy a carpet because a song they like can be heard a block away?

It seems mainly a thing in developing countries where noise ordinances aren't common.
There was one in Brazil, that had giant speakers in the doorway, facing out. The quietest place for blocks around was behind the speakers inside the store, an incentive to go inside. Also in Brazil, a flat-bed sound truck with speakers so big, they required a separate Cummings diesel engine mounted on the flatbed to drive them.

But this not a 'travel annoyance", it is an annoyance within the Brazil experience, which is I went to Brazil for.

Last edited by cebuan; 03-16-2019 at 05:40 AM..

Old 03-16-2019, 08:32 AM

5,247 posts, read 5,166,992 times
I think the one thing that bothers me the most are aggressive vendors or sellers.

When we went to Barbados, as soon as we stepped out of the door, we were asked repeatedly if we wanted to buy drugs. It was always a no but usually they would start walking behind you and still keep asking you. Then a few feet later, there would be someone else. This happened every day, day after day. It kind of puts a damper on the experience. Then on the beach, I don't mind being asked, but after I said no, one started putting his wares on me and then later I was at a different beach where this guy told this woman she was stuck-up because she didn't want to buy anything. (She was as NICE as could be to him.)

In Costa Rica they only bothered us in one place (Tamarindo) for very similar things (drugs, random crap).

Old 03-16-2019, 08:41 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
always wondered why they have the steering wheel on the wrong side of the rental cars in England and what's with the excessive honking, flashing of brights, yelling and obscene hand gestures?

Old 03-16-2019, 09:04 AM

7,095 posts, read 3,456,394 times
We have mitigated some of our previous annoyances by getting Global Entry, which also puts us in TSA pre-check for US domestic flights.

Since age 60, we only book 1st or biz class on most flights (we will fly cattle car class for non-stops under 90 minutes duration).

We gave up on getting a good night's sleep in hotels or motels, decades ago. We went the B&B route and were happy with that. However now, for any stay over 2 nights we book a home or apartment with at least 2 bathrooms; we believe NOT sharing a bathroom has contributed to our marriage's longevity (40+ years). Why should we be less comfortable on vacation than we are at home?

Old 03-16-2019, 10:19 AM

1,172 posts, read 477,617 times
Lots of great replies on this thread. Some of mine:

Obnoxious tourists who don’t act with respect to their fellow travelers.
Noisy and unruly children, especially on planes, trains, buses, etc.
Panhandlers, hustlers, touts, aggressive vendors (I steer clear).
Shopkeepers, waitstaff, and such who try to cheat you (I usually catch this, though).
Crooked taxi drivers.
Thieves, pickpockets, etc. (haven’t run afoul of this, thank heavens).
Travel delays.
Getting sick during a trip.
Unreliable public transportation (I don’t drive nowadays).
People who foul up the TSA lines (this is a great reason to have Global Entry and the like).
Noisy hotel guests when you’re trying to sleep.
Hotel showers/tubs with slippery floors and no grab bars.
Attractions that have hours of “10-4 or if we feel like it” (yes, I do my homework on this).
Restaurants and hotels that are supposed to be good but aren’t (good research tends to eliminate these, but not always).

That being said, I try to roll with the punches as much as possible. Stuff happens sometimes.

Last edited by bachslunch; 03-16-2019 at 10:30 AM..

Old 03-16-2019, 01:25 PM

3,425 posts, read 1,524,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Right there with you! People who get into line with a giant chip on their shoulder, 'ready to rumble' if a TSA agent so much as looks sideways at them.

And the people doing the most #itching are usually the ones doing the least traveling. The frequent flyers typically have no problems with TSA. We recognize that they're just doing a job, and people treat them like dirt. I've NEVER had a problem, and frequently find myself enjoying pleasant and even amusing exchanges with them while in line.
"Ready to rumble", LOL. Snorts coffee. I haven't had any real trouble either, and I ALWAYS get called out of line for "the wand". (artificial joints?) But so what. I don't care. TSA has a hard job.

Airlines are OK for the most part. I expect to get jammed in the seat since I won't fork over the big bucks for selected seats. So, no expectations. I just hunker down and read my Kindle. A few hours of discomfort, oh well. Take a Xanax,

I didn't find Rome obnoxious. Only a couple panhandlers. My biggest problem there was finding the "Hop-on, Hop-off" locations. Tried running out in the street to flag one down and that didn't work, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel