U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:02 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,686,746 times

Advertisements

My grandmother collects postcards, so we pick them up wherever we happen to be.

The last postcard I received was from Paris; one of my former exchange students went and sent it to me. Maybe I get 1-2 postcards per year, generally from students who are traveling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 07:35 AM

776 posts, read 846,836 times
Even when I was a kid in the '90s, the postcard already felt like something that was on the way out since long distance phone communication was starting to become quite affordable by then, and sending a handwritten letter wasn't that much more expensive. I only saw them as things you send when entering one of those contests where you could win prizes, which died out shortly into the new millennium. IMO the postcard "jumped the shark" when they shifted to the larger continental-sized pieces in the '70s, and when visiting those antique malls, it seemed like there was a drastic reduction of written messages and postage cancels sent during that decade filled with those buzzsaw edges on some of them. Nowadays, they're just gift shop fodder like apparel, mugs, and plastic toy replicas. Even as collectibles, they aren't doing to well lately, which is a shame as there can be some invaluable social history on those that were written. But it's definitely becoming something of a dying pastime, I sent probably one or two for one of those contests, but never for personal communication. But they're joining those rectangular prism-shaped matchboxes as travel memorabilia of yesteryear.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:07 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,970,020 times
It has to be years since I have received a single post card. I still send them but only to my twins, they get a big kick out of them.

Post cards probably started losing popularity with Face Book, selfie sticks and Smart Phones. You can send a picture in front of a landmark pretty much anywhere in the world as long as you have cell service.

Before Smart Phones my girlfriend and then wife used to send postcards back to our house to have a remembrance of places we traveled. We must have a box full.

Which is part of another popular thread on the retirement board....how to part with things when you have retired and downsizing.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:59 AM

776 posts, read 846,836 times
Like I mentioned, domestic postcards declined first since phone charges were falling fast, meaning that it wasn't too expensive outside of business hours to "reach out and touch someone", but due to expensive international phone call charges, you're right in that those foreign ones lasted longer, probably up until the turn of this century until their decline due to the Internet and the rise of digital cameras (this was a little before Facebook, but the newest postcard with a message I've seen in my collection is from 2001. Most of the US-based postcards from the 1980s, '90s, and early 2000s I see are from overseas.

My favorite era for postcards though is the early 20th century, back when you can really see the world as it was right as industrialization was giving rise to the modern society, and this also was when postcards were also a work of art if they weren't "real photo" copies. A close second are the early chromes of the 1950s/1960s mostly due to being a sucker of nostalgia of this era, in particular the non-scenic or non-touristy landmarks, especially businesses, main streets, restaurants, and hotel cards.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:30 AM

3,519 posts, read 4,976,489 times
I still see racks of new postcards sold in gift shops all over the East Coast U.S. when I travel. Don't know how many actually get mailed, or just kept as a souvenier.

DELTIOLOGY is the word for postcard collecting. Large antique stores, or antique malls, generally have antique, used post cards for sale, often organized by State. The largest one in the U.S. today is supposed to the Mary Martin's located in Havre de Grace or Perryville, Maryland. There is also an annual antique postcard convention in York, Pennsylvania.

My father had a collection of 3,000 both old and new, travel postcards. The oldest ones showed scenes such as beaches with people in full-body bathing costumes, and privacy changing booths......Masonic lodge hall buildings, and main streets of towns with city halls, theaters, etc. .....one that showed ruined French buildings destroyed by German soldiers in W.W. One.....birthdays and Christmas greetings.....comical cartoons of old people at the beach.....a photo of the Model T Ford assembly line, and a steel factory. Some racially offensive cartoon ones, showing black children eating watermelon, or chased up a tree by an alligator. The technology went thru various styles --- early cards would have a border or frame around the picture, with a caption written of what it was. Later ones would have a rough matte' finish. Newer ones a glossy finish and sharper images. Then there were accordian-style folding sets with 10 or so views of a particular place or city or scenic attraction, that fastened with a tab.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:33 PM

28,289 posts, read 39,967,233 times
Today.

Wedding announcement.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:08 PM

3,001 posts, read 6,494,277 times
I send postcards frequently! Always when I travel and often just for fun. I like the fact that I'm only responsible for a few lines of conversation! My (grownish) kids send and receive them too.

I love the old 60s-70s ones from Holiday Inns or motels and look for them in antique stores.

The best ones though are the ones with good things written on the back of them by complete strangers!

Old 03-19-2019, 06:49 AM

1,919 posts, read 968,213 times
The last time I sent postcards was five years ago. I addressed (properly) and stamped (properly) 16 postcards and dropped them in a mail box in front of a post office in a South American city. Not ONE of the post cards ever reached their recipients. Not one.

Obviously someone peeled off the stamps and tossed the cards.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:55 AM

32,149 posts, read 33,059,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
The last time I sent postcards was five years ago. I addressed (properly) and stamped (properly) 16 postcards and dropped them in a mail box in front of a post office in a South American city. Not ONE of the post cards ever reached their recipients. Not one.

Obviously someone peeled off the stamps and tossed the cards.
I know that 20 years ago people used steal mail in Ecuador. So now I am wondering which South American city this happened in.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:15 PM

1,919 posts, read 968,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I know that 20 years ago people used steal mail in Ecuador. So now I am wondering which South American city this happened in.
You guessed it! It was Quito.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or