U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 01:04 AM

10,515 posts, read 8,762,464 times

Advertisements

I just came back from a week-long trip to the Fontainebleau (France, not Miami) area to go bouldering (free climbing small rocks) with my kids. I didn't shave until I got back. at 75, that was the least of my worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 01:19 AM

9,150 posts, read 3,003,072 times
Pro football players all seem to have several days of growth on their faces on game days. I think there's a myth that it makes their facial skin less likely to be injured-----more slippery, perhaps?

Old 03-20-2019, 07:15 AM

5,672 posts, read 3,645,631 times
To answer the OP's question . . . I don't like shaving, and if I had my druthers, I wouldn't do it at all on vacation. However, I find that if I skip more than one day, it's harder for me to shave without scraping my face up. Therefore, when I'm on vacation, I trend to shave every other day. (I'm stuck with shaving because I don't want to wear a beard.) However, if I expect that I will be photographed to any great extent on any particular day, I will shave that morning so that I'll look "proper" for the pictures.

The only legitimate reason I can think of for someone complaining about the OP's brother not shaving is if he was somehow associated with his cousin's tour company in some official capacity, because having a scruffy-looking "employee" (or helper or assistant to an employee) might negatively affect the company's image. But if the OP's brother was simply a paying customer, and not officially connected with the company in any way despite the OP's cousin working for them, then I don't see it as anyone else's concern.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:33 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,635,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
My cousin got a job with a tour company, and to help her get started in her new career some of my siblings booked a 5-day tour of Tuscany. It wasn't a fancy tour by any means, but it also wasn't bargain basement. We ate at farmhouses along the way, and at restaurants in Florence and in Sienna. It was mostly a pleasant time touring the countryside.

After we got back, we found out another company complained to the tour company because my brother didn't shave every day.

At first we all thought this was hilarious. I mean, it's not like he has a fast growing beard. But then I started to wonder if the other passenger had a point. A little stubble doesn't bother me, but maybe other people really don't care to see it. Now that I think about it, after 5 days other people would probably have noticed it.

Was he being tacky? I hate to ask him to shave when he's on vacation, because that's part of relaxing for him. But I also don't want our family to be "the Ugly Americans."
Wow! Its your brothers face so really I think its up to him whether he wants to shave or not - it really isn't anybody else's business, I'm sure most people couldn't care less either way, I hope that it hasn't ruined the memory of the tour.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:13 AM

8,947 posts, read 8,406,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
To answer the OP's question . . . I don't like shaving, and if I had my druthers, I wouldn't do it at all on vacation. However, I find that if I skip more than one day, it's harder for me to shave without scraping my face up. Therefore, when I'm on vacation, I trend to shave every other day. (I'm stuck with shaving because I don't want to wear a beard.) However, if I expect that I will be photographed to any great extent on any particular day, I will shave that morning so that I'll look "proper" for the pictures.

The only legitimate reason I can think of for someone complaining about the OP's brother not shaving is if he was somehow associated with his cousin's tour company in some official capacity, because having a scruffy-looking "employee" (or helper or assistant to an employee) might negatively affect the company's image. But if the OP's brother was simply a paying customer, and not officially connected with the company in any way despite the OP's cousin working for them, then I don't see it as anyone else's concern.
Agreed. Companies do not have oversight over paying customers personal hygiene.

On vacation I shave every 2-3 days, depending on whim, weather and activities. If I am going out to a nice dinner or scuba diving, I shave. If I am poking around a town or heading out to a pub, probably not.

I don't do organized tours, cruises or the like for vacations though, so it is possible that my viewpoint does not apply.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:09 AM

1,463 posts, read 635,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Maybe it's not a good look for your husband, but to say anyone who doesn't shave looks dirty? A bit judgmental... Men can still look nice with facial hair.

Would you say Tom Brady has a slovenly appearance at the Met Gala?

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpre...y-fauxhawk.jpg
Yes I would, if not perhaps slovenly, then definitely scruffy, maybe you dont use that word over there, but it means untidy, not caring about your appearance.
Im just a doddering old guy though, what do I know, other than at his age, on the assumption that I was as good looking then, as he obviously is now, I would have thought that Id have had more chance with the girls if I looked clean and presentable, (see, I said that I was old!).
I employed the street smarts of one of my nieces, at 31, shes more likely to have her finger on the pulse.
She said, Hes definitely an attractive guy, if he hit on me at the bar, Id be happy to make small talk with him, but I dont like that face furniture look, and if he asked me out, Id tell him straight out, yes, but do me a favour and lose the fuzz, if he couldnt live with that, it would be my loss, but his too.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:58 PM

12,632 posts, read 7,551,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I would have thought that Id have had more chance with the girls if I looked clean and presentable, (see, I said that I was old!).
Considering Tom Brady is married to one of the highest paid models in the world, I don't think he's having any trouble with the ladies.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:14 PM

1,463 posts, read 635,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Considering Tom Brady is married to one of the highest paid models in the world, I don't think he's having any trouble with the ladies.

Good luck to him, Gisele is beautiful, but I didn’t do so bad at his age myself, and I wasn’t pulling down $20 or $30 mill per year, but I never had a girl complain about getting her face scratched by my stubble either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel