U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:52 AM

7,802 posts, read 4,393,390 times

Advertisements

Am I correct that the new enhanced DL, which will be required for domestic flights beginning in October 2020 as I understand it, is NOT necessary if you have a passport? In other words, a PP can still be used for all flights -- domestic and international -- rendering the new enhanced DL unnecessary. Or will we be required to fork out extra for the new one regardless (that is, won't be allowed to just renew the old standard one)?

Confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 10:40 AM

9,819 posts, read 5,020,682 times
Yes, US Passports are Real ID compliant.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:41 AM

Do you know if the standard DL will continue to be an option or if we'll all eventually be forced to "upgrade," passport or no passport?

Old 03-18-2019, 10:48 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,409,707 times
Here is how the State of CT answers 2 of your concerns at:

https://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=4078&q=477752

1. "
DOES THE VERIFICATION WHEN RENEWING COST MORE?
The cost of the driver license or ID card renewals cards is the same whether identity is checked or not."

2. [SIZE=2]CAN I USE MY U.S. PASSPORT INSTEAD OF HAVING THIS ADDITIONAL IDENTITY CHECK DONE?
Yes. A valid U.S. passport can also be used because existing federal standards are built into them. However, people may need to routinely carry a U.S. passport for identity-proving circumstances under the federal standard."[/SIZE]

Old 03-18-2019, 10:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,610 posts, read 39,986,663 times
State dependent.

At the moment my State's 'enhanced DL' is only conditionally valid for TSA / Real ID.

I recommend Nexus (Canadian version of Global Entry, available to USA residents, less expensive than USA Global Entry. )

Old 03-18-2019, 11:03 AM

8,595 posts, read 11,082,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
State dependent.

At the moment my State's 'enhanced DL' is only conditionally valid for TSA / Real ID.

I recommend Nexus (Canadian version of Global Entry, available to USA residents, less expensive than USA Global Entry. )
Nexus is half the price, but has a high PITA value. You also need to travel to the Canadian border to interview with Canada Customs to be accepted.

To the OP, your passport is the gold standard of ID. It should be accepted for anything.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Nexus is half the price, but has a high PITA value. You also need to travel to the Canadian border to interview with Canada Customs to be accepted.

To the OP, your passport is the gold standard of ID. It should be accepted for anything.
I understand that the passport is accepted for all flights. I just wonder if having a passport will EXEMPT one from having to pony up for the more expensive enhanced DL or if we'll all being forced to eventually get that regardless of whether or not we also have a passport. (I'm probably not asking this very clearly.)

Old 03-18-2019, 12:36 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,096,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I understand that the passport is accepted for all flights. I just wonder if having a passport will EXEMPT one from having to pony up for the more expensive enhanced DL or if we'll all being forced to eventually get that regardless of whether or not we also have a passport. (I'm probably not asking this very clearly.)
If you have a domestic flight and non enhanced DL they you will need to have your passport. As long as you are ok with having your passport with you for all instances when you need a Real ID then you wouldn't need to upgrade. But from my understanding the issue with enhanced IDs are more of a your state has them or they don't. If you are in a state that doesn't then you will always need a passport but if you state does offer them, you either just need to wait until your next renewal or you can just renew early.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:37 PM

But do I HAVE to get an enhanced (if my state has them) even if I have a passport?

Old 03-18-2019, 12:44 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,096,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But do I HAVE to get an enhanced (if my state has them) even if I have a passport?
As long as your current license is valid in your state then you don't HAVE to get it. Once the license has expired your new license will likely be the new enhanced version. I haven't heard of a state offering people the option to choose between the old version and the new REAL ID, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Not sure why you are so confused. Is there a reason that you want to avoid getting a READ ID compliant license?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or