U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 01:22 AM

11,697 posts, read 6,286,279 times

Advertisements

As far as Asia goes, I've traveled to the Philippines (Manila and Subic Bay), Malaysia (Kota Kinabalu), India (Delhi, Mumbai, Chandigarh, Jaipur, and a few other cities), China (Beijing), and South Korea (Seoul), Japan (Fukuoka, Sasebo, Okinawa).

Based on your criteria, I'd recommend Malaysia. Kota Kinabalu was wonderful . . . good food, nice people, culture, decent population, etc. And friends who have traveled to the main part of Malaysia have had good things to say, too.

India was a great experience for me, and this is high on my list, too. People were friendly there, but you also had pretty aggressive begging/hagglers, which may put your DH off. If it doesn't, then I'd put India above Malaysia, both for the overall better culinary experience and for a richer cultural experience. There is a lot of new vs. old to see there, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 05:46 AM

4,410 posts, read 1,669,820 times
I agree with Hanoi. I'd also suggest my own city of Cebu, Philippines. It's a safe and friendly city of 3 million, half the price of Manila, with nice beaches.. For "big ticket" destinations, I prefer Tokyo. Non-urban locales wouuld be Siem Reap, Cambodia, for Angkor Wat, and maybe Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, on unspoiled Borneo island.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:37 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,448 times
Depending on how much time you want to devote for your trip you can visit several countries as travel in the region is very affordable and easy. For example from Bangkok you can fly to another city within Thailand for as little as $15 or Myanmar, Cambodia, Malaysia, Philippines, Macau, India, Indonesia, Singapore and about 10 other countries for less than $100 one way.

Personally I have only been to Thailand and absolutely love it. I can't wait to go back and at the same time I also want to explore other places in the area.

Although you have plenty of time before you can start booking, be sure to start researching the airlines that fly to that region so that you don't get tempted by a bad airline with a great fare. If possible try to take advantage of airlines like Qatar and Emirates that offer stopover programs which usually include a day or two in their home city and a free hotel room.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:52 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
Siem Reap and Bangkok. Cambodia is fantastic, and very affordable.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:45 PM

4,410 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Depending on how much time you want to devote for your trip you can visit several countries as travel in the region is very affordable and easy. For example from Bangkok you can fly to another city within Thailand for as little as $15 or Myanmar, Cambodia, Malaysia, Philippines, Macau, India, Indonesia, Singapore and about 10 other countries for less than $100 one way.
Yes, I was going to suggest just flying to Bangkok, and everywhere else just there-and-back RTs from BKK. I even went to Sri Lanka and Darwin, Australia cheaply that way.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:01 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,458,211 times
Kuala Lumpur. I have no idea why people aren't suggesting it.

Edited to delete most of what I said since I think you're looking for something different than what I was suggesting.

Good luck.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:20 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,994,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Siem Reap and Bangkok. Cambodia is fantastic, and very affordable.
I second that. Go see the Angkor Wat - you wont regret it!

Old 03-24-2019, 09:10 PM

371 posts, read 284,397 times
If he loves cities, I would recommend a trip to Bangkok,then fly to one of the islands in the south of Thailand for a few days at the beach, then a flight to Kuala Lumpur, then a train ride to Singapore. Flights in Thailand are very cheap, and the food in all three of these countries is amazing.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:18 AM

903 posts, read 330,269 times
Just got back from three weeks in Vietnam, flying out of Hanoi. Enjoyed it very much but you would not want more than a few days in Hanoi itself. Only thing is it is absolutely inundated with tourists, the number of tourists has tripled in the last ten years.

A few people have suggested Sabah, Malaysian Borneo. We had an amazing holiday there where it is easy to combine Eco tours with some luxury hotels at affordable prices. But Kota Kinabalu is not a big busy city, if that is what is wanted.

My personal favourite city in Asia for food would have to be Singapore but there is not much of historical importance there. I love Hong Kong but the same thing applies.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:56 PM

322 posts, read 112,905 times
He isn't a history buff but will appreciate a few temples and seeing history. He loves busy cities, hustle and bustle. I was thinking 2 weeks. A few days in Saigon and travel north up the country flying and on trains. Stopping in a few cities and ending up in Hanoi. Going to Ha Long Bay for 2 or 3 days for a river cruise. He wants to see busy cities, rice and ride a scooter. I want to ride on a river cruise and see some caves and eat good street food. Taking into consideration cost, ease of travel and activities, I think Vietnam is a good choice. I am also thinking of getting a long layover in Tokyo on either coming or going and taking a train to Shibuya for him to experience that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or