U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 10:36 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,450,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
My husband turns 40 in March 2021. And I want to start researching and planning a trip abroad for him but I not sure where to start. He is the adventurous sort and has mentioned wanted to visit some Asian countries as much for the ancient culture as for the modern culture. Crowded but friendly city. Good food and fun experiences, easily travelable. Any suggestions based on your experiences of countries and cities to start researching?

ETA: Hanoi seems to fit what hes looking for. Anyone traveled there?
I love Hanoi. It's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 10:39 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,450,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
He isn't a history buff but will appreciate a few temples and seeing history. He loves busy cities, hustle and bustle. I was thinking 2 weeks. A few days in Saigon and travel north up the country flying and on trains. Stopping in a few cities and ending up in Hanoi. Going to Ha Long Bay for 2 or 3 days for a river cruise. He wants to see busy cities, rice and ride a scooter. I want to ride on a river cruise and see some caves and eat good street food. Taking into consideration cost, ease of travel and activities, I think Vietnam is a good choice. I am also thinking of getting a long layover in Tokyo on either coming or going and taking a train to Shibuya for him to experience that.
You should also check out Hoi An & Sapa (both in Vietnam). Go to Sapa on the overnight train, it's really cool. Awesome experience.

They run Mekong River tours out of HCMC too if you're into that.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:48 AM

3,265 posts, read 5,786,184 times
I spent 2 months in Asia two years ago exploring. Here's a brief list of which cities/areas interested me most, and which ones I felt were disappointing. YMMV.

Wowed by:
Angkor Wat, Cambodia
S21 Museum, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Hanoi, Vietnam
Taipei, Taiwan
El Nido, Palawan, Philippines

Disappointed by:
Chiang Mai, Thailand (too touristy. for a similar city that hasn't been completely overrun yet, I'd recommend Luang Prabang, Laos instead)
Kyoto, Japan (not bad. i just had it built up in my mind; had way more fun in nearby Osaka)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or