Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 09:51 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times

Advertisements

My husband turns 40 in March 2021. And I want to start researching and planning a trip abroad for him but I not sure where to start. He is the adventurous sort and has mentioned wanted to visit some Asian countries as much for the ancient culture as for the modern culture. Crowded but friendly city. Good food and fun experiences, easily travelable. Any suggestions based on your experiences of countries and cities to start researching?

ETA: Hanoi seems to fit what hes looking for. Anyone traveled there?

Last edited by LO28SWM; 03-18-2019 at 10:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 11:07 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
I've never been to Hanoi but it does seem like an ancient meets modern culture, crowded but friendly city. Bangkok seems similar but probably easier to get around and no need for VISA assuming you're carrying a US passport.

Plenty of other great options. I personally like Seoul or Taipei for westerners...obviously plenty others depending on your specific objectives and desires.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:32 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
I've spent much time in Asia for business and pleasure, never in Hanoi but in other areas of Vietnam - it would make a great vacation, like to go back and spend more time.

But Asia is a large diverse continent so you have many choices, I would suggest posting in Asia forum as well you will probably get better advice. Lots of expats and locals post there.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:56 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Bangkok

Chiang Mai

Old 03-18-2019, 04:32 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
My husband turns 40 in March 2021. And I want to start researching and planning a trip abroad for him but I not sure where to start. He is the adventurous sort and has mentioned wanted to visit some Asian countries as much for the ancient culture as for the modern culture. Crowded but friendly city. Good food and fun experiences, easily travelable. Any suggestions based on your experiences of countries and cities to start researching?

ETA: Hanoi seems to fit what hes looking for. Anyone traveled there?
Check out Gabriel Traveler's recent videos on youtube of Hanoi.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...briel+traveler

Old 03-18-2019, 05:40 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
To add to my post above - personally I would recommend Saigon (and don't call it Ho Chi Minh City, none of the locals call it that unless they are government lackeys). It's a totally different culture than the north. More hustle, more bustle, and they love Americans.
I would also recommend Hue City, formally the imperial capital of Vietnam and, although heavily damaged from the war (thanks to the NVA and VC invading this peaceful town and massacring a number of it's population decades ago) still full of glorious religious and historical sights.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:27 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times
I think Vietnam sounds like a really interesting place to visit. I've heard there are touristy spots but also areas off the beaten path where the locals are friendly. I have loads of time to research but you guys have given me some ideas

Old 03-18-2019, 07:02 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Vietnam is great. Good food, nice folks, easy to travel in, cheap, lots of history.

One thing it lacks compared to it's neighbors is ancient (or modern) spectacular man-made things. It's got some (mostly up north) but there are far better temples and ruins in neighboring Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand. Myanmar as well. Not sure if that interests him or not but something to consider.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
How long of travel time do you have?

I would certainly do the regional variety and cultures of countries surrounding Thailand (as per above).

Lots to see and do, and quite close to each other travel time. (You can add Malaysia for additional flavor (including food)).

You can get regional flights very inexpensive and ez from these places, just beware of visa requirements when planning.

You can find plenty of history, terrain, and culture.

Beaches, jungles, & steep mtns (not too tall, but steep) .

I have had pretty good luck using Singapore based Agoda.com for booking lodging in Asia.

They have a very easy site and good customer service (when needed). They have bailed me out several times (when I made mistakes). I also use Agoda in Europe and USA if needed.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:11 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Phuket
Bangkok
Kyoto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel