U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 04:53 PM

56,104 posts, read 54,597,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Our visitors from Azerbaijan were fascinated by squirrels. There are no such animals there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Nope, no squirrels in Australia. Still the favourite thing for my children when we come to America. You'd think after the 10th visit the novelty would wear off, but no.
That's what I figured. There have to be places that don't have squirrels.

But hey, I like squirrels, too, and I've seen them all my life.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:18 AM

2,760 posts, read 4,914,592 times
I take the Grand Canyon for granted, but then again it's only some 125 miles from our house and I get in for free with my disabled vet status.
Makes a nice place to run for lunch if it's not too crowded for the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 04:43 PM

3,510 posts, read 4,962,699 times
A friend of mine from ITALY, was reassigned to Washington D.C. and he was amused by all the loud commercials for mattress stores. And how many mattress stores there seem to be, sometimes located very close together, and none of them doing much business. I think there's a YouTube video trying to explain why this is.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:27 PM

12,647 posts, read 7,559,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
A friend of mine from ITALY, was reassigned to Washington D.C. and he was amused by all the loud commercials for mattress stores. And how many mattress stores there seem to be, sometimes located very close together, and none of them doing much business. I think there's a YouTube video trying to explain why this is.
I think that confuses everyone, not just foreigners.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:45 PM

21,962 posts, read 22,127,476 times
We have a friend from South Africa who was absolutely blown away when he was offered a free refill on his soda at a meal in a restaurant. Apparently that's not something that happens outside of the U.S.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:13 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,642,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
We have a friend from South Africa who was absolutely blown away when he was offered a free refill on his soda at a meal in a restaurant. Apparently that's not something that happens outside of the U.S.
You get free re-fills at certain restaurants in the UK but not all of them, do you get free re-fills at every restaurant in the US?

Old 03-26-2019, 07:29 AM

12,647 posts, read 7,559,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You get free re-fills at certain restaurants in the UK but not all of them, do you get free re-fills at every restaurant in the US?
Just about every restaurant has free refills on soda and iced tea. I've never been to a place that doesn't, but I'm sure there are a few out there who don't.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:34 AM

56,104 posts, read 54,597,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I take the Grand Canyon for granted, but then again it's only some 125 miles from our house and I get in for free with my disabled vet status.
Makes a nice place to run for lunch if it's not too crowded for the day.
Oh, jelly of that. I went to the Canyon once, ten years ago. Western rim. Awestruck.

On the other hand, I've got a fifteen-minute drive to the edge of the continent and the ocean. It never gets old.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:30 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,082,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You think minds get blown at refills. Wait until you get one to go, from pretty much everywhere.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:40 AM

6,504 posts, read 4,085,618 times
The thing that stands out is our proximity to Hollywood--e.g. the Walk of Fame, the sign, etc. It does not live up to the hype in the slightest, and I don't know a single local who will go there under any circumstances except pressure from visiting guests/tourists. But it seems that every tourist is just dying to see Hollywood!

On a happier note, I have been told several times by people visiting for the first time from the Midwest/East Coast during the summer months, how nice it is to be able to spend the whole day and night outside and not be bothered by a single flying insect. We never even think about that; really do take it for granted.

Last edited by saibot; 03-26-2019 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or