U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 12:53 AM

10,522 posts, read 8,768,030 times

Advertisements

The all-time "scenic attraction" that I have never understood is the Little Mermaid in Copenhagen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 04:09 AM

910 posts, read 331,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
They're on the same side in most of east Asia -- Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, PNG, the Indian subcontinent. Where do you visit?
Mostly Europe and Nth America these past few years, also China, South America, Vietnam.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:24 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,642,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
In South Florida walking into a CVS or Walmart and the Europeans overwhelmed by the amount of choices we have.

For me walking into a CVS in South Beach (true story) and all the signs are in Spanish.

Going to Hialeah and nothing written in English anywhere. Billboards, car wraps, etc.
This one surprises me, supermarkets in Europe (well parts of Europe) are huge and sell just about everything, Tesco's have different kinds of stores from ones about the size of a 7-11 to ones the size of a small town! In fact I've often worried that Tesco's are going to take over the planet! (Won't be long before the UK is re-named Tescoland). I've heard of Walmart but not CVS, if they 'overwhelm' Europeans they must be the size of a city! I know that you can buy a gun in Walmart but apart from that I would be interesting to know what else they have that perhaps you can't get in an Asda or Tesco superstore? Which gives you the best choices 'over there' CVS or Walmart?

Old 03-20-2019, 05:23 AM

114 posts, read 46,288 times
Having spent time with transplants from the UK, it seems they are really surprised by the size of our vehicles.

One of the guys from England, first time in Texas, was really astonished to see our camping rig. Don't know how common this is in the rest of the US, but 70 feet of truck+camper+boat heading down the highway isn't that unusual here. The truck itself (long bed crew cab) amazed him, and adding a 5th wheel trailer and a ski boat behind it was something he'd never seen. He was also astounded at the amount of fuel used for 3 days of camping here. The total amount for travel, wakeboarding, and running the generator was (according to him) nearly 6 months of normal "petrol" usage for his family.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:52 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,060,097 times
I had the opportunity to spend some time in Italy, 40 yrs ago. On my first arrival in Rome, I went first to Genzano, just south of Rome along the Appian Way to meet up with my friend who had immigrated to The States a few yrs before and was now back visiting family. He had been born & raised in Genzano.

Having been a student of Latin, I was excited to go visit The Forum and asked Sandro to take me there straight away. Arriving there, I looked about in awe & fascination at the ruins. "Sandro, this is amazing!. We're walking on the very stones that Julius Caesar walked on 2000 yrs ago! The oldest thing we have back in Chicago is the Water Tower and that's just a lousy 100 yrs old."...Sandro stopped, looked around with a concentrated furl on his brow as if he had never seen this place before..."Yea, you know, we work slow here, but we do good work."

Old 03-20-2019, 09:06 AM

12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
In South Florida walking into a CVS or Walmart and the Europeans overwhelmed by the amount of choices we have.

For me walking into a CVS in South Beach (true story) and all the signs are in Spanish.

Going to Hialeah and nothing written in English anywhere. Billboards, car wraps, etc.
I think you may be misunderstanding their comments. In Europe drug stores really don't exist in the same way.

Pharmacies are usually just that. Pharmacies that sell prescription and non-prescription drugs, and perhaps a few other items. They are showing up integrated in grocery stores now as well.

Monoprix in France is an example. It sells clothing, groceries, wines, beers, and all sorts of household items, and may have a pharmacy as well.

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-20-2019 at 09:16 AM..

Old 03-20-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This one surprises me, supermarkets in Europe (well parts of Europe) are huge and sell just about everything, Tesco's have different kinds of stores from ones about the size of a 7-11 to ones the size of a small town! In fact I've often worried that Tesco's are going to take over the planet! (Won't be long before the UK is re-named Tescoland). I've heard of Walmart but not CVS, if they 'overwhelm' Europeans they must be the size of a city! I know that you can buy a gun in Walmart but apart from that I would be interesting to know what else they have that perhaps you can't get in an Asda or Tesco superstore? Which gives you the best choices 'over there' CVS or Walmart?
To be fair, they weren't talking about grocery stores, but drug stores.

Yes Europeans have a lot of choice, it's just usually separated differently, but that is changing as my above comment stated.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:43 AM

5,436 posts, read 2,830,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I lived for 10 years in SW desert red-rock country where many movies were made. Foreign visitors walked around slack-mouthed staring at the stunning rock formations and canyons that they recognized from so many Western and other movies.

But I have to say, I never took it for granted. Spectacular country that I was lucky to be a part of.
I once asked the owner of a private campground in the Needles part of Canyonlands NP if tourists thinned out in summerís heat. He said that on the contrary, it was very busy, full of Euro tourists who wanted to experience being a desert rat. Meanwhile, many US residents avoided it due to the high heat.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:48 AM

5,436 posts, read 2,830,519 times
They sometimes marvel at how much territory can be driven without crossing a national border. Or even crossing some of the bigger states’ borders.

I don’t really take it for granted, though, having grown up in one of the small states with many towns in it. LoveloveLOVE having huge areas of space to roam.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
They sometimes marvel at how much territory can be driven without crossing a national border. Or even crossing some of the bigger statesí borders.

I donít really take it for granted, though, having grown up in one of the small states with many towns in it. LoveloveLOVE having huge areas of space to roam.
LOL

Canadians experience that with Americans, thinking they can drive from Toronto to Vancouver in a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or