U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 01:15 PM

13,636 posts, read 8,559,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Any examples of things that tourists from other countries visiting your area find fascinating but you never give it a second thought? I've got a couple that come to mind from when I lived in Arizona.............2. At a diner near our home e we were eating breakfast when a group of four young Brits came in. They were all excited about eating in a real American diner. The comments they were making to each other were hilarious, everything from the menu to the decor. It really did seem to be a bucket list item for them for visiting USA.
I had a chuckle. I had to host 2 young Brits for about 10 days. I was working in Texas at the time and we took them deer hunting. They saw their first armadillo, rattlesnake, and got close to their first cow (Really! They were city boys.).
But you know the thing they said they enjoyed the most? ............ Breakfast at the Petro Truck Stop on I-20 in Weatherford! They could not get over the size of our big rigs, and when I got one of the drivers to show us around, they were speechless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 01:30 PM

5,431 posts, read 2,756,099 times
I was rereading an old book of mine about a young boy who comes from East Germany in 1959 and goes from his small village to a larger town in West Germany, to New York, and eventually to California. Going from where he shopped at a small market in his hometown to one of the supermarkets in New York was a huge culture shock to him and seeing how people wasted things in the US compared to Germany was eye opening to read about. And this was supposed to be 60 years ago.

Made me appreciate what I have so much more.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:55 PM

233 posts, read 70,168 times
My tenant is from the former Soviet Union and I have socialized with her family members who have visited the US. Many of these people seem to be obsessed with shopping when they have been here.

They find the variety and array of merchandise to be overwhelming. And, they are amazed by the fact that many retailers seem to have sale after sale. Also, that retailers often have coupon offers on top of the sale prices.

Another bonus for them is that returning and/or exchanging merchandise is common the US.

I teased them that the US is a 'shoppers paradise' and that you never have to pay full price for most of the things that you want.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:45 PM

10,511 posts, read 8,753,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
You need to check out the Manneken Pis in Brussels.
It couldn't be any worse than the clowns at the EC I had to deal with year after year.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:10 PM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times
I lived in Las Vegas for 22 years, so you can imagine how blasť I became even after living there 5 years. Thoughts that would run thru my mind:

Why on earth would anyone want to come to Las Vegas?
If you're looking for Sin, there's hasn't been any Sin in Las Vegas since the Mob left, so what Sin are you looking to find here, that you can't find in St. Louis, Missouri?

Old 03-21-2019, 12:31 AM

4,000 posts, read 10,442,185 times
Many decades ago we had a student visitor from West Germany. What she really, really wanted to do was watch a movie at a Drive-In theater.

Alas, we only had one left in town, and for the short time she was here, it wasn't showing any movies were worth watching. We natives weren't willing to waste our money watching a bad movie just so she could have the bad theater experience of a Drive In movie.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:22 AM

7,809 posts, read 6,627,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
To be fair, they weren't talking about grocery stores, but drug stores.

Yes Europeans have a lot of choice, it's just usually separated differently, but that is changing as my above comment stated.
Oh I see, sorry I thought Walmart was a superstore like Tesco's or Asda? The superstores near me sell groceries, clothes, toys, homeware & electricals, there are Opticians and drugstores in them, some sell petrol, there is one Asda nearby that has a hairdressers service and pet shop inside :-D. The Tesco and Asda superstores are open 24 hours as well so you can see why I think they are trying to take over the country!

Old 03-21-2019, 03:26 AM

7,809 posts, read 6,627,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I had a chuckle. I had to host 2 young Brits for about 10 days. I was working in Texas at the time and we took them deer hunting. They saw their first armadillo, rattlesnake, and got close to their first cow (Really! They were city boys.).
But you know the thing they said they enjoyed the most? ............ Breakfast at the Petro Truck Stop on I-20 in Weatherford! They could not get over the size of our big rigs, and when I got one of the drivers to show us around, they were speechless.
We don't have armadillo's in the UK, we have 3 species of snake but only one that's venomous (Adder/Viper), cows on the other hand - we have plenty of those! Talking of trucks have you seen those 'road trains' in Australia! They are incredible, you couldn't have an Australian road train on most British roads, they simply wouldn't get around the bends! :-D

Old 03-21-2019, 03:52 AM

1,090 posts, read 388,072 times
As a regular visitor to the US and a big sports fan, I know that many US sports fan take for granted the frequency with which you can watch top level sport. 162 and 82 game seasons are unheard of to us and the ability to go to major sports pretty much every day of the week is amazing.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:27 AM

66 posts, read 22,911 times
I live about 15 miles east of St Louis MO and I work about 25 miles west of downtown St Louis. So I drive past the Gateway Arch twice each day. I don't understand the fascination.... People want to ride to the top. Even before I got fat, that was the most awful, hot, claustrophobic ride of my life!! Never again.

Different story: My brother's best friend came to the US with his family as refugees from Laos in the late 1970's. His friend still talks about how their host family took them to K-Mart on their first day to pick up some essentials. The kids were speechless - they never knew there was so much "stuff" in the ENTIRE WORLD. And this was just one store! They walked up and down each aisle and could not believe there were so many toys, especially the little Matchbox cars. Literally their entire view of the world changed during that trip to K-Mart. This story still makes me think about how lucky we are to live in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or