U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,011 posts, read 40,550,228 times

Advertisements

Aug is usually my month for Mtns that are too snowy other times of the yr.
You already seemed to saturate the USA and Canada (Glacier and Beartooth (YNP) are some of favorites)
PNW / Vancouver Island BC and Alaska are all nice in August (step outside your Forest Service cabin and pick fresh wild berries to go with your fresh Salmon!). Age 7 is getting close to age to enjoy limited backpacking, but horse camping would be OK too.

Switzerland is excellent choice, but will be crowded in Aug, ... so if in Europe mtns, I would get off the beaten trail (of Euro tourists).

My kids loved the farm stays we did in Basque region of Spain and in Italian alps. But you might need to get further from population (Eastern Europe / Russia).

Do something memorable, include some natural hot springs!

We stay with locals, so it is always memorable. When with kids, we would pick hosts with kids and animals (Livestock).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 05:42 AM

32,552 posts, read 33,402,572 times
I would suggest Israel as it has a low crime rate and as long as you are not by the Gaza border I think you should be okay. It has lots to offer a tourist including natural beauty, history, architecture and culture.

Also the OP mentioned the Ecuador's poverty would be a turnoff. But one could go the Galapagos Islands (which are part of Ecuador) for a great nature trip and I don't remember seeing any of Ecuador's "poverty" during my visit to Galapagos several years ago.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:06 AM

637 posts, read 506,739 times
So many wonderful responses so far - thank you! Galapagos would be a terrific possibility, and I'd just have to look into cost and August weather. Israel has long been on our bucket list, and if we visited I'd love to combine with Petra.

Visited the Norwegian fjords in 2017 and boy were they wonderful! Bhutan is an interesting option, too.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:06 PM

Is there anywhere in Asia or South America that might work weather-wise in August? Southeast Asia and China seem like a bad idea, and Japan seems like it doesn't get vacation-ruining typhoons, but that it's terribly humid and pretty rainy. I think in general Japan or Singapore would be great for us as we tend to prefer very clean, safe places with my young daughter, but I'm not sure August works well in that regard.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:16 PM

4,929 posts, read 2,057,565 times
The New York State Campground at Moffitt Beach is in the Adirondack Park. Upper New York state can be cool at night in August and beach weather by noon.

On the pricey side https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g...rk-Hotels.html

Old 03-20-2019, 01:54 PM

9,539 posts, read 8,524,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Is there anywhere in Asia or South America that might work weather-wise in August? Southeast Asia and China seem like a bad idea, and Japan seems like it doesn't get vacation-ruining typhoons, but that it's terribly humid and pretty rainy. I think in general Japan or Singapore would be great for us as we tend to prefer very clean, safe places with my young daughter, but I'm not sure August works well in that regard.
Not really, monsoon season. You can expect every single day to be very hot, very humid, and rain at some point.

Or rain for days. Wet, sticky, humid rain.

There is a reason it is called the monsoon season.

What about South America?

I also like the idea of Isreal and Petra.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Not really, monsoon season. You can expect every single day to be very hot, very humid, and rain at some point.

Or rain for days. Wet, sticky, humid rain.

There is a reason it is called the monsoon season.

What about South America?

I also like the idea of Isreal and Petra.

Thanks Blue! We'd love to visit South America, and if we could afford it, Galapagos would be a dream destination. August is winter in South America, and the other issue is with our young daughter we're pretty sensitive and would like to avoid places with high poverty rates, etc. Maybe Buenos Aires or Santiago though.

And I'd love to do Israel and Petra, but isn't it crazy hot there in August?

Old 03-20-2019, 02:19 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,116,678 times
You should reconsider Japan for August 2020. The Olympics are scheduled for the end of July to early August so in addition to seeing Japan you can add being able to experience the Olympics.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
You should reconsider Japan for August 2020. The Olympics are scheduled for the end of July to early August so in addition to seeing Japan you can add being able to experience the Olympics.

Oh wow, good to know! Thanks!

Old 03-20-2019, 03:15 PM

1,087 posts, read 402,072 times
Cairns in Nth Queensland, Australia. It is winter so the weather is lovely in August. You can see the reef, the rainforest, drive up to the Cape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or