U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 03:50 PM

9,145 posts, read 8,476,028 times

Advertisements

Just looking at Celerity's website and they gave both Alaskan and Galapagos cruises available in August 2020
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 04:26 PM

23,095 posts, read 29,459,602 times
August is winter south of the equator.

I suggest Peru, with the beautiful mountains, fascinating ruins, delicious food, and reasonable costs. Keep your eyes open for the native hand woven shawls with the wonderful designs.

It might be a good time to go to New Zealand. Although, that is along flight with a 7 year old.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:50 PM

1,546 posts, read 1,349,427 times
It would help to know where home is and/or where you're flying from, also a sense of budget sensitivity.

Either way, August is the perfect time for a safari visit in South Africa. In the Kruger National Park area in the north, it's midwinter and the dry season, so no bugs. It's still pleasantly warm in the days but sweater weather at night. The absence of tree foliage means the wildlife viewing is easier, and the animals come to the water sources, also making viewing easier.

While there are some very high end and expensive lodges on some of the private reserves that abut the national park (no fences so the animals wander to and fro) there are also inexpensive accommodations in the "rest camps" in the parks themselves - air conditioned, cooking facilities, etc. Kruger is a "self-drive" park but you have to stay on the roads; nevertheless the viewing is remarkable. However, I'd strongly urge a couple of nights in one of the private lodges, since those places offer off-road game drives. They're all-inclusive, and are incredibly good value.

I'd combine a few days in the north and then a drive down the "Garden Route" from Port Elizabeth and Addo Elephant National Park to Cape Town. This is a stunning drive (allow three days) on good roads.

Driving is easy in SA, quite safe, and everything is VERY inexpensive by US or European standards, including rental cars, food and lodging. Fair warning: if you haven't been to Africa, you risk addiction.

Google these things:

Panorama Route
Kruger National Park rest camps
https://www.elephantplains.co.za/
Addo Elephant National Park
Hermanus
Cape Winelands
Cape Town Bo-Kaap district
Kirstenbosch Gardens
Victoria and Alfred Waterfront
Robben Island
Simon's Town Boulders Beach

Last edited by Gardyloo; 03-20-2019 at 05:59 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 11:27 PM

14,475 posts, read 7,772,079 times
I’ve done a lot of summer ski trips to Chile. The resorts are self contained. The tourist parts of Santiago are safe. The flights tend to be overnight. Miami, Dallas, and LAX are all about 8 hours. It’s the same time zone as the east coast during DST.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:39 AM

32,552 posts, read 33,402,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post

And I'd love to do Israel and Petra, but isn't it crazy hot there in August?
Petra is in the desert and therefore it is a dry heat which means one can tolerate a higher temperature more easily (than a humid climate) as long as one drinks enough water and has appropriate sum protection. The same goes for Southern Israel. Jerusalem and Northern Israel (Galilee & Golan Heights and even Haifa which is high up although by the coast) are at higher elevations so also not too bad in the summer. Only the Tel Aviv area could be unpleasant due to the high humidity but that is why air-conditioning exists!

Old 03-21-2019, 06:25 AM

638 posts, read 506,739 times
All great and helpful responses - thanks everyone!

We live in the NYC suburbs and therefore fortunately have access to lots of non-stop international routes. I think we'd be comfortable flying in the range of 10 to 15 hours max, but I don't think further than that would really be in the cards.

Re: budget, I don't have a specific number but something reasonable for an international trip. Airfare in the range of $1,000 per person and nice but not fancy lodging. I think we'd be comfortable spending maybe $8,000 soup to nuts for 3 people, but that's just a ballpark.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:34 AM

23 posts, read 18,991 times
Have you considered Singapore? It's a great place for kids your daughter's age. Easy to navigate and it's a very walk-able city. The city is clean and has a great cultural mix. Plus it's close to Malaysia and Thailand; a short flight to Vietnam if you are up for it (Great nature). Needless to say foods are great there. As for Japan, I've been there in August and the weather was absolutely gorgeous. However, weather can't be predicted and it's better to keep an open mind. Last time I went to Switzerland it was so cloudy I didn't see any alps at all; and I didn't think I would encounter a hailstorm while I was in Iran. But, sh*t happens, lol. A great excuse to revisit the country

Oh, and if you are travelling in Aug 2020, you might want to also consider Dubai. The world Expo is going to be held in Dubai next year and it's going to be a great learning experience for kids. I am planning to bring my 8 yr old nephew there actually. The kids would also enjoy the desert safari.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmeow18 View Post
Have you considered Singapore? It's a great place for kids your daughter's age. Easy to navigate and it's a very walk-able city. The city is clean and has a great cultural mix. Plus it's close to Malaysia and Thailand; a short flight to Vietnam if you are up for it (Great nature). Needless to say foods are great there. As for Japan, I've been there in August and the weather was absolutely gorgeous. However, weather can't be predicted and it's better to keep an open mind. Last time I went to Switzerland it was so cloudy I didn't see any alps at all; and I didn't think I would encounter a hailstorm while I was in Iran. But, sh*t happens, lol. A great excuse to revisit the country

Oh, and if you are travelling in Aug 2020, you might want to also consider Dubai. The world Expo is going to be held in Dubai next year and it's going to be a great learning experience for kids. I am planning to bring my 8 yr old nephew there actually. The kids would also enjoy the desert safari.

Hope this helps.

So helpful - thanks meow! I have considered Singapore because I also read that it's the rare SE Asian country with nice weather in August. But as you noted, if we spend 22 plus hours to get there, we're also going to want to visit neighboring countries, and the monsoon-like weather is a real deal breaker for us.

I am very strongly considering Japan. 14 hour non-stop flight from NYC is doable for us for a 2 week vacation, and it seems that the rainy season ends there in mid-July, so August will be hot and humid but not necessarily terribly rainy, which is fine.

And I hear you loud and clear we: weather. We went to Norway during the least rainy time of the year, and it rained at some point every day during a 9 day trip! Still thoroughly loved Norway, but the constant drizzle and gray skies were kind of a downer, and my photos were not nearly as nice as the fjord scenery was in person. Nothing you can do about it, though.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:23 AM

23 posts, read 18,991 times
Lol. Honestly, anywhere in Asian is going to be hot and humid anytime of the year for us New Yorkers; it's simply too cold and dry here, lol.

Japan! I am excited for you if you really are going. I love that country; I spent a year there when I was in college. As a matter of fact, I've already booked a 3-wk family vacation for this summer from 8/14-9/2. ANA and Japan airline had a promotion last month and the ticket was very affordable. We are going to rent a car and drive from Tokyo all the way to Kyoto stopping along the way of course. I will make sure to report back after the trip you end up going there as well

Happy travels!!

Old 03-21-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmeow18 View Post
Lol. Honestly, anywhere in Asian is going to be hot and humid anytime of the year for us New Yorkers; it's simply too cold and dry here, lol.

Japan! I am excited for you if you really are going. I love that country; I spent a year there when I was in college. As a matter of fact, I've already booked a 3-wk family vacation for this summer from 8/14-9/2. ANA and Japan airline had a promotion last month and the ticket was very affordable. We are going to rent a car and drive from Tokyo all the way to Kyoto stopping along the way of course. I will make sure to report back after the trip you end up going there as well

Happy travels!!

That sounds amazing! Have a great trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or