U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 06:26 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,666,568 times

Advertisements

Would it be cheaper to just book a new flight altogether?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 06:29 AM

2,072 posts, read 703,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
In Feb. I started a dental procedure that turned into a lengthy ordeal and we had to change our United flights. When I was making the change, I inquired about the change fee and the agent suggested that AFTER I completed my flight, that I apply on-line for a refund of the change fees ($400 for the 2 of us).
Thanks for this- I had no idea it was possible. I agree with you that your status probably helped.

It also validates another rule of dealing with airlines: if you don't like the phone agent's answer, be polite, hang up and call again. Another agent might handle it differently. You got a good one the first time out. It may be that they route the Elite fliers' calls to better agents or it may have been luck.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:58 PM

9,149 posts, read 8,281,799 times
I had to change my son's flight and the change fee from Spirit would have been over $100.

Instead I just booked him a one way flight on Frontier for $40 from WPB to RDU.

I would look at booking a one way ticket or alternate locations.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:01 PM

7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
Do keep in mind that if you no-show one flight segment on a ticket, all subsequent flights on that ticket will also get cancelled. (Airlines do that to prevent what they see as hidden city ticketing abuse)

Old 05-02-2019, 12:33 PM

362 posts, read 227,544 times
Default Quick Update

First thanks for all the replies and a few comments-

We are very infrequent flyers and therefore have no status.

The closest Southwest Airport is two hours away. We were trying to fly out of our home airport and save the four hours driving and the parking fees. Lesson learned.

Now for the update-

The flight out was on American and scheduled for this Friday. Bottom line is there will be a $200 change fee per ticket plus a $50 fee per ticket because we booked through Expedia. The tickets were only $314 each so we have a $64 credit per ticket we can use within a year. Woohoo.

The flight home was on United and scheduled for Sunday. I called yesterday to discuss change fees and learned that our Sunday flight had been changed to Monday. Thanks to some posts on here I knew this was my chance and sure enough we are getting a full refund for the return flights. $628. Woohoo for real this time.

Weird thing was that we had not been notified of the change and I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't called.

Also we have re-booked for another weekend and on Southwest this time.

Last edited by Preston3124; 05-02-2019 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: added text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or