U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2019, 08:04 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,034 posts, read 102,707,476 times
Reputation: 33083

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
The homeless very likely never have the disease diagnosed, and have a steady diet of alcohol preventing recovery., plus a compromised liver in the first plave. How many incidents of death are there among those (like the OP) who have access to conditions favorable to recovery? You can die from stubbing your toe if you have no assess to treatment or ignore complicating symptoms and medical advice, but that doesn't make a stubbed toe a "potentially fatal" event against which one must be assiduously on guard.
Right, that's how we know they have it. Yo didn't look at the links, I see. I could provide a lot more.

If you read the CDC link, you'd know the answer to bold #2.

Why would you want to get a disease that could take months to recover from? Could this be the reason?
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...cination-rates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2019, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,470 posts, read 1,698,732 times
Reputation: 8191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Right, that's how we know they have it. Yo didn't look at the links, I see. I could provide a lot more.

If you read the CDC link, you'd know the answer to bold #2.

Why would you want to get a disease that could take months to recover from? Could this be the reason?
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...cination-rates
Healthy young travelers with no history of liver disease or alcoholism and with access to good health care at home are not going to get a fatal dose if Hepatitis A in Europe. Even if they "want to" get the disease..

The vaccination currently runs about $150.

The
incidence of acute hepatitis A
in Romania
is available from 1990 and shows
a steep decrease over the decade
from almost 300/100 000 to values comprised between 50 and 100/100 000 at the turn of the century. Since 2006,
incidence is reported at below 50/100
000 with a decreasing trend .
https://ecdc.europa.eu/sites/portal/...le-romania.pdf

Each traveler can weight the above points and make their own judgment call.

Last edited by cebuan; 03-22-2019 at 12:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2019, 10:06 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,034 posts, read 102,707,476 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Healthy young travelers with no history of liver disease or alcoholism and with access to good health care at home are not going to get a fatal dose if Hepatitis A in Europe. Even if they "want to" get the disease..

The vaccination currently runs about $150.

The
incidence of acute hepatitis A
in Romania
is available from 1990 and shows
a steep decrease over the decade
from almost 300/100 000 to values comprised between 50 and 100/100 000 at the turn of the century. Since 2006,
incidence is reported at below 50/100
000 with a decreasing trend .
https://ecdc.europa.eu/sites/portal/...le-romania.pdf

Each traveler can weight the above points and make their own judgment call.
You don't know that. Death is rare in the healthy, but it does happen. There is practically no risk to the vaccine and IMO, everyone should have it anyway. A good time to get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2019, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,470 posts, read 1,698,732 times
Reputation: 8191
OK, get the shots. And stay off stairways, why expose yourself to risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2019, 09:44 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,034 posts, read 102,707,476 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
OK, get the shots. And stay off stairways, why expose yourself to risk.
Don't bother with a seat belt either. It's all a conspiracy by "Big Auto".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2019, 02:02 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,470 posts, read 1,698,732 times
Reputation: 8191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Don't bother with a seat belt either. It's all a conspiracy by "Big Auto".
Conspiracy is your contribution to the discussion.. Make knowledgeable evaluations of the risks and take common-sense steps to minimize them, considering the cost, time and effort to implement them..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2019, 11:37 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,034 posts, read 102,707,476 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Conspiracy is your contribution to the discussion.. Make knowledgeable evaluations of the risks and take common-sense steps to minimize them, considering the cost, time and effort to implement them..
Baloney! You're the one who brought up falling on the stairs, as if getting Hep A were the equivalent.

Risks of Hep A disease: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...r/none/romania
"CDC recommends this vaccine because you can get hepatitis A through contaminated food or water in Romania, regardless of where you are eating or staying."
Now if you know more than the scientists at the CDC, you should notify them.

Like most diseases, Hep A is no picnic. One can be sick for months with Hep A. See the links in post #5.

Risks of Hep A vaccine: https://www.chop.edu/centers-program...itis-a-vaccine
"The hepatitis A vaccine can cause pain, redness and tenderness where the shot was given. The vaccine can also cause headache in about 5 of every 100 recipients. The hepatitis A vaccine has been given to millions of people without serious side effects."
OMG! /s

Cost: Usually covered by insurance. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/adults/...-vaccines.html
Cash price $67.48 per dose at Costco (don't usually have to be a Costco member to use the pharmacy) 2 doses, at least 6 months apart.

Also available at numerous other pharmacies. Coupons available. Here is a list:
https://www.goodrx.com/hepatitis-a-vaccine

Time and effort: Minimal. Usually walk-in service available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2019, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
23,458 posts, read 28,330,599 times
Reputation: 29067
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
It's not fatal and resolves itself with bedrest and diet.
As has been said, it can be fatal, recovery can be prolonged, and there is a safe and effective way to prevent it. Why risk it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2019, 12:54 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,034 posts, read 102,707,476 times
Reputation: 33083
Was just surfing the web, and came across this: https://newschannel9.com/news/local/...e-vaccinations
"The Chattanooga-Hamilton County Health Department is urging customers of an Ooltewah restaurant to get vaccinated, this after confirming an employee there has been diagnosed with acute hepatitis A."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2019, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,470 posts, read 1,698,732 times
Reputation: 8191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Baloney! You're the one who brought up falling on the stairs, as if getting Hep A were the equivalent.
.
And somehow you think I called that a conspiracy?

Aside from the fact that there certainly is an equivalence. Falling in the stairs can be just as debilitating, and is a risk than can protected against with the same kind of diligence. And accidental falls kill more people every year than Hep-A. In fact, 556,000 per year die from falls, vs. 11.000 from Hep-A -- 50 times as many...

Last edited by cebuan; 03-24-2019 at 07:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top