U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 07:16 PM

23,463 posts, read 28,348,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
And somehow you think I called that a conspiracy?

Aside from the fact that there certainly is an equivalence. Falling in the stairs can be just as debilitating, and is a risk than can protected against with the same kind of diligence. And accidental falls kill more people every year than Hep-A. In fact, 556,000 per year..
So what?

Hep A can be prevented with a vaccine. If you are at risk of exposure (and traveling to an area where you may be exposed to a food handler with it is a risk factor) why not just take the vaccine?

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...r/none/romania

"CDC recommends this vaccine because you can get hepatitis A through contaminated food or water in Romania, regardless of where you are eating or staying."

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 03-24-2019 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 07:45 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,706,078 times
Be sure to take a snake-bite kit. Snakes kill 8-times many people as Hep-A. Even in Romania, which has several species of venomous snakes.

https://www.romania-insider.com/vipe...-antidote-2018

Why take the risk, when it is so cheap and easy to pick up a snake-bite kit at Walmart and pack it in your luggage?

Hep-A vaccine is only 86% effective, even when administered as a full course at proper intervals (which it is now too late to do) , so if you're worried, you just better not go.

Last edited by cebuan; 03-24-2019 at 07:53 PM..

Old 03-25-2019, 10:58 PM

87,043 posts, read 102,742,261 times
Yes, it's really ridiculous to protect yourself against a vaccine-preventable disease that the CDC recommends for one's travel. /s You must be really afraid of shots. There is help available.
https://www.verywellmind.com/trypanophobia-2671700

Don't know where you got your stat about efficacy. That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence, but for the lurkers, one dose of Hep A vaccine gives >95% of vaccinees immunity, and two doses give 100%. For children, the first dose gives 97% immunity, and two doses give 100%.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pi...loads/hepa.pdf

Old 03-26-2019, 03:48 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,706,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, it's really ridiculous to protect yourself against a vaccine-preventable disease that the CDC recommends for one's travel. /s You must be really afraid of shots. There is help available.
https://www.verywellmind.com/trypanophobia-2671700

Don't know where you got your stat about efficacy. That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence, but for the lurkers, one dose of Hep A vaccine gives >95% of vaccinees immunity, and two doses give 100%. For children, the first dose gives 97% immunity, and two doses give 100%.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pi...loads/hepa.pdf
Thanks for the helpful diagnosis if mental illness. I'll ask a professional for a second opinion.

Stat about efficacy: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12744850

Old 03-26-2019, 09:44 AM

23,463 posts, read 28,348,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Your link is from 2003. It is way out of date.

Katarina gave you the current figures.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:48 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,110,741 times
Just thought I would update- apparently medicare and my additional private insurance do NOT pay for the Hep A or Hep B vaccines. When I inquired about them it seems they are about $150 or so each. I was prepared to go ahead and called my dr to ask how much it would be and if they had it on hand (as I have heard that at numerous pharmacies here, it is back ordered).
To my delight, the dr's office said that if I was not covered, I should check at the county health department as it would be much cheaper. I called, and they said if I am not covered for the immunization by my insurance, it is free to me.
I went and got the first of the Hep A and Hep B earlier this week. I go back in a few weeks for the 2nd Hep B and then in 6 months for the rest of A and B.
But FREE.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:25 PM

2,175 posts, read 742,560 times
I'm pretty conservative about vaccines (age 66 but never bother with pneumonia or the latest flu vaccines, got the old Shingles vaccine but not the latest). When I started traveling to India on business, the local Travel and Immunization Clinic recommended TwinRix, which sounds like what the OP is getting- schedule was similar and it's supposed to be lifelong prevention against Hepatitis A/B. Since any kind of hepatitis, even if you survive it, likely requires strict abstinence from alcohol after recovery, I went with the vaccine. I like my alcohol- in moderation, of course!

Glad you got it provided at no cost, OP.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:42 AM

8,090 posts, read 4,430,473 times
Several of the local county - ATL metro - health departments provide travel vaccinations. We had the Twinrix (Hep A & B) three years ago. Not pertinent to this discussion, but also updated our shingles vaccination with the newer, more effective vaccination. With the increasing rate of homelessness, poor health illegals flooding into the U.S. and prevalence of anti-vaxers amongst the general population, we find less caution is not wise. When in snake country, we wear high top boots, too. Iím with Katerina. Have our high top, waterproofs along on this trip, though not worried about snakes. Ireland is boggy and wet at times - 10, 2 and 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Just thought I would update- apparently medicare and my additional private insurance do NOT pay for the Hep A or Hep B vaccines. When I inquired about them it seems they are about $150 or so each. I was prepared to go ahead and called my dr to ask how much it would be and if they had it on hand (as I have heard that at numerous pharmacies here, it is back ordered).
To my delight, the dr's office said that if I was not covered, I should check at the county health department as it would be much cheaper. I called, and they said if I am not covered for the immunization by my insurance, it is free to me.
I went and got the first of the Hep A and Hep B earlier this week. I go back in a few weeks for the 2nd Hep B and then in 6 months for the rest of A and B.
But FREE.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:31 PM

9,232 posts, read 9,300,397 times
Just a comment about hepatitis A and its prevalence. I had some roommates in college that caught it. I talked to them after they were better. They told me it was worst disease they had ever been sick with. The nausea just goes on and on. Plus, it can do incredible damage to your liver.

For travelers, understand some things. If you are going anywhere where the ocean is chances are you maybe eating some shellfish. Shellfish is a major source of hep A. I just returned from Nice, France and the Riviera. A common dish at restaurants are mussels cooked in a wine sauce.

My wife and I were glad we got our hep A shots long ago.

The peace of mind? Priceless.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:56 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,110,741 times
Well maybe this is the first time I might feel relieved that I am allergic to shellfish. I do eat fish, but about 30 years ago became allergic to shellfish. I was tested recently and they confirmed I am still allergic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or