U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 02:47 PM

13,195 posts, read 8,071,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am not a 1970s rock band. If I trash the room or throw the TV out the window, we'll talk then.
Its not because they think the room might be trashed, but for those little expenses you might end up adding to your hotel bill. Things like the mini bar, room service, premium movies, or meals from the hotel restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 02:51 PM

13,195 posts, read 8,071,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I ran into the hold process the first time about 20 years ago.
As stated, as I understand it this is not a hold.
I am trying to get clarification but I am not having much success.
Hilton Corporation is so big they don't respond well to customers questions.
Have you called the hotel directly? I would think the front desk staff would be the most knowledgeable person to talk to in regards to the resort's fees and policies.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:56 PM

7,110 posts, read 3,348,528 times
Quote:
I ran into the hold process the first time about 20 years ago.
As stated, as I understand it this is not a hold.
I am trying to get clarification but I am not having much success.
Hilton Corporation is so big they don't respond well to customers questions.
Hilton has an 800#. If your an honors member they respond rapidly.
You are misunderstanding. It's a hold plain and simple.
Each entity under the hilton brand has its own policy for holds. Ours is 20$ for the entire stay. If the guest doesn't utilize any of that...it's released thru their card holder once we close their folio. You might be staying at a franchise that pays a fee to be under the brand name. They can have their own limits set...

Old 03-21-2019, 08:06 PM

4,803 posts, read 1,268,430 times
Quote:
I made reservations at a hotel recently and found that I will be charged some $90 per day for the length of my stay. This is for food and other things you must pay for and is only a deposit and refundable.
Frankly I have never run into this before. All that was ever required in the past was a credit card be on file to charge to.
I don't know if this practice is becoming common today or not but it appears that all they are doing in collecting interest on your money while you are there?
They probably aren't collecting interest as a hold doesn't put the money in their account. They probably use it to unfreeze some of their own cash reserves, however.

At 3 and 4 star hotels, I've seen it common practice to hold AN ADDITIONAL NIGHT'S RATE FOR EVERY NIGHT you are staying. Company bought your lodging, but use your own card for "incidentals"? There's a week's stay, frozen until a few days after you check out.

That's why I say always ALWAYS carry at least one CREDIT card. It's not your money.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:36 PM

923 posts, read 289,934 times
Quote:
We will be in the Rainbow Tower. The resort fees are now $45 a day too.

And I new that somewhere I read about the $90 per day incidentals fees charged at check in so I sent an email to Hilton and this is the short of what I got back for a reply.

"As I can check, there is $90 per day charge for the incidentals in the hotel. However, I am also forwarding your message to the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, as they may be better able to assist you."
Other than warehousing your money so they can collect interest on it I still don't understand why they charge it up front when you have a CC on file with them.
Maybe they have had recent issues with people taking things and maxing out the card so no charges can be made. This way the hotel can freeze a certain amount in case you take the robes and other "loaned" amenities. I mean, look how people act on airlines these days. It's a whole new crowd, which is one reason I'm no longer a fan of traveling --but that's another thread.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:42 PM

923 posts, read 289,934 times
Quote:
I am familiar with the hold process, and maybe they misquoted me. but it's my understanding that I will be charged $90 per day when I check in and that anything I don't use will be refunded within 48 hours of departure.
I would prefer to be wrong.
yes, I've had that sort of thing happen even when renting cars. $90 a day is a bit steep, but it sounds like a luxury resort. Just make sure to bring an extra card or two if you're close to your limit. My advise is to never ever use a debit card or anything tied to actual cash.

Come back to tell us how your experience was, okay? Bonne voyage!

Old 03-22-2019, 04:11 AM

1,428 posts, read 2,138,773 times
Some misconceptions that need to be cleared:

1) This isn't a "fee" - it's a hold on the card for a certain amount. It's analogous to providing a security deposit when renting an apartment.

2) The authorization/hold is different from charging a coffee or groceries to your card. While the money is subtracted from your available credit, it doesn't go to the merchant. They aren't collecting interest on it. The authorization primarily is to have a functioning card on file for expenses or damages.

3) Using a debit card for these is a bad idea

4) The amount per hotel varies. A Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express may take nothing beyond the room charge, as they tend to have a bare minimum of chargeable amenities (i.e. a bar or restaurant). A 5-star property with a cafe, two restaurants, a bar, and a spa with US$250+ massages? Expect significant holds.

5) You can leave cash as a deposit.

6) Please don't hold up the check-in queue arguing with the unlucky minimum wage front desk clerk. I have been on a plane or in a car for several hours, and I really want to put my bags down, use the bathroom, and take a shower.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:45 PM

2,828 posts, read 5,134,795 times
OK, it took a few days but I finally got an answer directly from the hotel.
I will not be charged on check in, just a hold on the card for $900 for the 10 day stay after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or