U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:01 AM

2,764 posts, read 4,925,461 times

Advertisements

I made reservations at a hotel recently and found that I will be charged some $90 per day for the length of my stay. This is for food and other things you must pay for and is only a deposit and refundable.
Frankly I have never run into this before. All that was ever required in the past was a credit card be on file to charge to.
I don't know if this practice is becoming common today or not but it appears that all they are doing in collecting interest on your money while you are there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 08:19 AM

933 posts, read 477,017 times
$$$$$$$$$ it's all about this....pure profit! Resort fees (they claim it's for internet, phones, newspapers etc...), rooms with breakfast included, at a ridiculously high price, are common.

I must admit, I've never seen a $90 daily fee. Where is this, so I can avoid it.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:27 AM

Note that this fee (deposit) is in addition to the resort fee which is $45 a day which is as you stated additional profit.
This $90 per day fee is at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort in Honolulu and is charged when you check in apparently.
And as near as I can tell, many of the hotels on Waikiki charge for incidentals in advance via a deposit. I guess a CC on file in no longer any good?
We don't normally stay in hotels other than a night at a time when traveling by car so this is new to me.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:44 AM

933 posts, read 477,017 times
I misread/misunderstood. Got it, this occurs more frequently with resorts similar to HHV.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:37 AM

15,098 posts, read 19,065,067 times
One more reason not to go to Hawaii. One more reason to do Airbnb or VRBO.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:32 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,098,601 times
it's probably a ploy to get people to use those items because it's easier to take something from the minibar when you think have already paid for it vs. knowing that you will be charged if you take an item.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,685 posts, read 40,050,764 times
Probably a necessity for Hotel to cover their exposure and losses from less than honest tenants in a resort area. (frequent in Honolulu)

It has been common for years for hotels to block out your card upon check-in for entire stay amount + incidentals.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:25 PM

3,377 posts, read 2,842,306 times
We recently stayed at the HHV and there were no other daily fees aside from the $40 resort fee and usual taxes. Are you staying in one of the hotel towers, or in one of the Hilton Grand Vacation towers?

Old 03-20-2019, 02:03 PM

9,256 posts, read 8,337,794 times
Yes, hotels for sure are starting to do this.

It's up to you whether or not you want to accept this practice and stay there, or take your money and go elsewhere.

I will admit when we stay at a resort that charges a fee like that, we tend to stay on property more and use it.

Both of us are tired? Let's have a pool day and spend ridiculous amount of money poolside on food and frozen drinks.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
We recently stayed at the HHV and there were no other daily fees aside from the $40 resort fee and usual taxes. Are you staying in one of the hotel towers, or in one of the Hilton Grand Vacation towers?
We will be in the Rainbow Tower. The resort fees are now $45 a day too.

And I new that somewhere I read about the $90 per day incidentals fees charged at check in so I sent an email to Hilton and this is the short of what I got back for a reply.

"As I can check, there is $90 per day charge for the incidentals in the hotel. However, I am also forwarding your message to the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, as they may be better able to assist you."
Other than warehousing your money so they can collect interest on it I still don't understand why they charge it up front when you have a CC on file with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or