U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 01:28 PM

9,807 posts, read 5,016,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
"you won't be seated together" - that suggests either assigned seating or they were doing something like filling up each row at a time as people entered the theater, rather than the Southwest model of allowing people to select their preferred seat.
No, it wasn't assigned seating nor were they filling up a row at a time. They simply weren't allowing people to save seats.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:30 PM

9,807 posts, read 5,016,856 times
Quote:
then you need to take it up with Southwest, because they have repeatedly made it clear that they don't have a policy against saving a seat for someone else.
Nor do they have a policy permitting it. You keep ignoring that part.

They neither allow nor prohibit, but if it interferes with the boarding process or inconveniences another passenger, they'll step in and it may not be the result you desire. At that point it's basically at the flight attendant's discretion.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:59 PM

903 posts, read 232,553 times
Quote:
then you need to take it up with Southwest, because they have repeatedly made it clear that they don't have a policy against saving a seat for someone else. Not to mention the absurdity of claiming that everyone in front of you is going to save two seats in addition to their own, because of course that is not what happens.

The real issue is people like the guy in the USA Today article

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...azy/968172001/

If i had been the person he bullied into giving up the aisle seat, I would have said "ok, fine, I'll remove my tablet from the aisle seat and then sit in it myself, which is my right since I boarded ahead of you and claimed it. Your wife is welcome to take the middle seat next me which is now vacant." First come, first served, after all.
Well, a couple things wrong here.

First, there is no policy at all. SWA is banking on the fact that most people are conflict-adverse, especially on an airplane where they could get tossed for being in a conflict even if in the right. Southwest's sole goal is to get that plane turned around as quick as possible. As hertfordshire said, if the non-seat saving passenger really wanted to press the issue, it may not work out for the seat saver in the flight attendant's discretion.

Second, sure my anecdote was somewhat absurd, but that's not the point. It wouldn't matter if 29 people or 1 person ahead of me was saving seats; A30 is supposed to mean I'm the 30th person on the plane, not A88 or even A31.

But, again, it's about making sure that everyone is playing by the same set of rules. If you want to believe you or others are "special," don't be surprised there are people who don't agree.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:22 PM

5,030 posts, read 3,217,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
On a recent trip, my family of three took Southwest on a 4 hour flight across the country. I love SW and always try to use them when possible.

This last trip, I didn't get Early Bird seating, and we ended up in the C boarding group for a sold-out flight.

When we got to the airport, I upgraded myself to A-12 for $40, and reserved a row for the family, spreading my stuff around to make it clear. As seats filled up, people began asking if the seats were free. When my wife got there, I joked that I had to fight to defend our seats, and she scolded me for being "insensitive" and "selfish". The people in the row behind us overheard, and apparently gave me a disapproving look.

I don't see how it's selfish to save seats when you're traveling with a child. I don't want us split up, my kid maybe forced to sit with strangers. But maybe there is some unwritten etiquette that you shouldn't save seats for your loved ones on airlines with unassigned seating. Thoughts? Opinions?
Well, last time I flew a woman was sitting in my assigned seat and I said "Ma'am, that's my seat" (It's a window seat) well, she just looked at me then looked away, I said "Stewardess?" and she came out of it spitting and snarling... Sometimes you have to be pushy and selfish....

Old 03-23-2019, 03:19 PM

3,361 posts, read 2,832,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
First, there is no policy at all. SWA is banking on the fact that most people are conflict-adverse, especially on an airplane where they could get tossed for being in a conflict even if in the right.
Not having an actual policy for this seems like a surefire way to pit customers against each other. I've only flown Southwest once in my life, and I'm probably not their target customer, but everytime I see one of these threads (and I've seen many) it reinforces my inclination to stay away.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:55 PM

12,644 posts, read 7,554,877 times
Quote:
If i had been the person he bullied into giving up the aisle seat, I would have said "ok, fine, I'll remove my tablet from the aisle seat and then sit in it myself, which is my right since I boarded ahead of you and claimed it. Your wife is welcome to take the middle seat next me which is now vacant." First come, first served, after all.
No, you choose one seat and stick with it. Boarding first does not mean every seat is technically yours.

I am glad I do not fly SWA if this is the kind of mentality the passengers have.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:07 PM

5,436 posts, read 2,830,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Not having an actual policy for this seems like a surefire way to pit customers against each other. I've only flown Southwest once in my life, and I'm probably not their target customer, but everytime I see one of these threads (and I've seen many) it reinforces my inclination to stay away.
Yes, not having clear rules is similar to towns that enforce code only when someone complains. It is not a matter of severity of violation, safety aspects, or other material factors, only one of who dares or resists the most.

Most people are self-serving, if not selfish, and leaving these questions to be decided “between the parties” often results in more polite or “nicer”people routinely getting doormatted.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:12 PM

5,436 posts, read 2,830,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Well, a couple things wrong here.

First, there is no policy at all. SWA is banking on the fact that most people are conflict-adverse, especially on an airplane where they could get tossed for being in a conflict even if in the right. Southwest's sole goal is to get that plane turned around as quick as possible. As hertfordshire said, if the non-seat saving passenger really wanted to press the issue, it may not work out for the seat saver in the flight attendant's discretion.

Second, sure my anecdote was somewhat absurd, but that's not the point. It wouldn't matter if 29 people or 1 person ahead of me was saving seats; A30 is supposed to mean I'm the 30th person on the plane, not A88 or even A31.

But, again, it's about making sure that everyone is playing by the same set of rules. If you want to believe you or others are "special," don't be surprised there are people who don't agree.
They are also trying to avoid accusations of being unfriendly to families deadset on sitting together (regardless of line position and seat upcharges). PCness strikes again!

Old 03-23-2019, 10:44 PM

941 posts, read 258,949 times
Quote:
Well it's a good thing you aren't in charge. So vindictive. You sound like one of those store clerks who lock the doors 10 minutes before closing, to prevent last minute shoppers from getting in, because "that's the rules".

I mean, cut people a little slack. And read the thread. The people coveting the saved seats were near the end of the line, not people who paid for early seating.
...because people who work at stores don't want to go home; they just want to stay there half the night while you browse at/past closing time...

Old 03-24-2019, 12:56 AM

38,002 posts, read 55,785,174 times
Quote:
On a recent trip, my family of three took Southwest on a 4 hour flight across the country. I love SW and always try to use them when possible.

This last trip, I didn't get Early Bird seating, and we ended up in the C boarding group for a sold-out flight.

When we got to the airport, I upgraded myself to A-12 for $40, and reserved a row for the family, spreading my stuff around to make it clear. As seats filled up, people began asking if the seats were free. When my wife got there, I joked that I had to fight to defend our seats, and she scolded me for being "insensitive" and "selfish". The people in the row behind us overheard, and apparently gave me a disapproving look.

I don't see how it's selfish to save seats when you're traveling with a child. I don't want us split up, my kid maybe forced to sit with strangers. But maybe there is some unwritten etiquette that you shouldn't save seats for your loved ones on airlines with unassigned seating. Thoughts? Opinions?
You bought 1 (ONE) upgrade and reserved the whole row for free? Try that in Business Class...
I think the flight attendant should remove the rest of your family from the upgraded seats and move them to the proper (cheap) location at the end of the plane.
Asking if your action was a "proper etiquette" is even more ridiculous...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or