U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 03:02 AM

9,251 posts, read 10,902,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You bought 1 (ONE) upgrade and reserved the whole row for free? Try that in Business Class...
I think the flight attendant should remove the rest of your family from the upgraded seats and move them to the proper (cheap) location at the end of the plane.
Asking if your action was a "proper etiquette" is even more ridiculous...
This entire scenario is so easily avoided on Southwest by doing early check-in for everyone in the family. It's been a while since I've flown but I believe it's 24 hours in advance? I've never had a problem getting into the A que with family and/or friends. I've never had to pay for an upgrade. If one person in a party does pay for an upgrade then it's ridiculous for them to attempt to save seats for family members or friends who are in the C group. If one is traveling with one's child, don't you check the kid in when you check yourself in? This is ridiculous. Say I did pay $40 for an upgrade, a person who wants the window seat next to me (that I'm trying to save for friend/family) might have also. Why is my $40 worth more than his?

Old 03-24-2019, 03:36 AM

1,090 posts, read 388,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

If i had been the person he bullied into giving up the aisle seat, I would have said "ok, fine, I'll remove my tablet from the aisle seat and then sit in it myself, which is my right since I boarded ahead of you and claimed it. Your wife is welcome to take the middle seat next me which is now vacant." First come, first served, after all.
You seem strangely passionate about this, but also seem to struggle with the open seating nature of SW. The tablet seat was an open seat. Man claimed it - it is his.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:39 AM

1,090 posts, read 388,575 times
Quote:
If you go to a first run movie, there may not be assigned numbers, but there certainly is an established queue with people lined up to enter the theater and select their seats in a particular order based on their place in line. And if someone else gets the center seats in the first row of the balcony or whatever another person's specific preference is, the first people still get to keep those seats, even if they've tossed a jacket onto one of them because someone else in their group was waiting in line to buy the popcorn.

For whatever reason, some people seem to think that wanting something automatically entitles you to get it, even if someone else is already using it. I swear some people seem to wish they could go the next step and get to tell the first person to move not just from a saved seat, but even from an occupied seat, because hey, the second person wanted that seat so why shouldn't they get what they want?
Is the established queue established on the basis of extra money people paid? No?

The people displaying the "why shouldn't I get what I want" attitude is the person paying for 1 upgrade and wanting 2 for free. Fortunately it seems the vast majority of people here understand the etiquette.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:53 AM

7,679 posts, read 16,092,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
If a restaurant is crowded and there is nowhere to sit, yes, you should be prepared to share a table.
There’s a popular seafood shack by me (very good and pretty cheap by local standards) that posts they expect people to share tables during busy times

Old 03-24-2019, 08:13 AM

2,974 posts, read 3,955,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There’s a popular seafood shack by me (very good and pretty cheap by local standards) that posts they expect people to share tables during busy times
We have done this in Europe where it seems more prevelant and we have offered to do this here in our area (minus the twins). We have a much older demographics here and a lot of tourists in our age group so it can make for interesting and enjoyable table conversation.

Again though, Southwest has a system in place based entirely on believing passengers having good faith, common sense and being courteous to others. We might not see it now but we will see first ticket bought will be first seated at time of purchase and you will receive a seat assignment as with other airlines.

While not the same thing, but years ago Seaworld use to have a somewhat honor system in place for their meal plans. I have friends with family's of four or more who would buy one adult and one child ticket and then just keep going back up to feed everyone.

We never did. Now you are only allowed one trip in a certain time frame. My daughters in the past would go up several times to get hotdogs and eat them without the bun. Did not matter because it was unlimited and we paid for them.

People learn to game the system and businesses learn and tighten things up.

Southwest will come to a point and say enough is enough, rather than risk bad press they will tweek the system and the only ones boarding early will be those with therapy turkeys.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:15 AM

5,410 posts, read 2,816,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We have done this in Europe where it seems more prevelant and we have offered to do this here in our area (minus the twins). We have a much older demographics here and a lot of tourists in our age group so it can make for interesting and enjoyable table conversation.

Again though, Southwest has a system in place based entirely on believing passengers having good faith, common sense and being courteous to others. We might not see it now but we will see first ticket bought will be first seated at time of purchase and you will receive a seat assignment as with other airlines.

While not the same thing, but years ago Seaworld use to have a somewhat honor system in place for their meal plans. I have friends with family's of four or more who would buy one adult and one child ticket and then just keep going back up to feed everyone.

We never did. Now you are only allowed one trip in a certain time frame. My daughters in the past would go up several times to get hotdogs and eat them without the bun. Did not matter because it was unlimited and we paid for them.

Southwest will come to a point and say enough is enough, rather than risk bad press they will tweek the system and the only ones boarding early will be those with therapy turkeys.
The gamers ruin it for the majority who play by the codes of common sense and common courtesy.

BTW, in Philadelphia’s airport, that is Emotional Support CHICKEN from Popeye’s. Not turkey.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:15 AM

21,159 posts, read 11,761,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
You seem strangely passionate about this, but also seem to struggle with the open seating nature of SW. The tablet seat was an open seat. Man claimed it - it is his.
Well, yes, I am pretty passionately against bullying.

But you seem to lack knowledge of Southwest seating practices. The seat was not open, it was claimed. Southwest has made it clear that is permissible and that a seat can be claimed on behalf of a traveling companion without specifically being occupied at that moment. The bullying man therefore intimidated someone into giving up a seat that was NOT open, simply because he thought he was more entitled to it than anyone else.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post

Or they will make the seat saving policy explicit, since so many people seem unable to grasp that the lack of a prohibition is the same thing as allowing it. And then they can advise the whiners to book flights on a different carrier with assigned seating, because whining isn't going to give them their way when someone has already claimed the seat they want - which is of course what already happens, the whiners just like to whine about it.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:42 AM

5,410 posts, read 2,816,274 times
Quote:
Or they will make the seat saving policy explicit, since so many people seem unable to grasp that the lack of a prohibition is the same thing as allowing it. And then they can advise the whiners to book flights on a different carrier with assigned seating, because whining isn't going to give them their way when someone has already claimed the seat they want - which is of course what already happens, the whiners just like to whine about it.
Not nearly as likely as SWA going all-reserved-seating. It is much less subject to the problems resulting from line-cutters. Making the rules less subject to bullying BY line-cutters would make life easier for SWA.

You have two ways of not being such a whiner yourself, both ENCOURAGED (not merely overlooked) by SWA: 1) Upgrade the whole family’s seats, or 2) Make sure all of them are in line to take their allowed seats nearest you.

If only cheaters such as yourself continue flying SWA, I can’t wait to see the whining between all the families fighting to keep intact rows.

I’m sure you will keep repeating your mantra, But It’s Not Prohibited, until it comes to a showdown with a legitimate seat claimer.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Not nearly as likely as SWA going all-reserved-seating. It is much less subject to the problems resulting from line-cutters. Making the rules less subject to bullying BY line-cutters would make life easier for SWA.
Claiming a seat, whether it's for oneself or a traveling companion, is not bullying. You can disagree with Southwest allowing seat saving, but misusing words like that just weakens any argument you make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or