U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 12:08 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,667,925 times

Advertisements

And claiming a seat that someone else is saving is also not bullying. You can disagree with Southwest not specifically allowing seat saving, but either way, it's neither expressly prohibited nor allowed. That means that if I want that aisle seat that someone is "saving" for someone 40 spots behind me, I have the same right to the seat as the person 40 spots back. And since I'm the one there with my butt in it, it seems like I'd have even more of a right. What would the seat-saver do, call an attendant and say they don't think I should be able to sit in "any open seat"? Good luck with that!

Old 03-24-2019, 12:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,545 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You have two ways of not being such a whiner yourself, both ENCOURAGED (not merely overlooked) by SWA: 1) Upgrade the whole family’s seats, or 2) Make sure all of them are in line to take their allowed seats nearest you.

If only cheaters such as yourself continue flying SWA, I can’t wait to see the whining between all the families fighting to keep intact rows.

I’m sure you will keep repeating your mantra, But It’s Not Prohibited, until it comes to a showdown with a legitimate seat claimer.
Can I count the number of times in the last 2 months I have witnessed a SWA 'seat saver' lose their battle? Far more than I have fingers and toes. .. battle lost,

NO... SWA FA will NOT intervene on behalf of a 'seat saver'. Number of times I have seen that = ZERO.

Number of times I expect to see that ... ZERO.

FA often helps to accommodate handicapped, elderly, and families together and REQUEST someone to give up their chosen seat to allow a late boarding family to sit together. (I see this in 20 - 40 % of my flights and it is always handled very properly / graciously by SWA and those who give up their seats. (sometimes for free drinks, often not).

If you want to fly with a bunch of jerks... there are plenty of airlines catering to that!
(Please don't pollute SWA with jerky behavior, it just makes it hard on ALL of us!)

You will note SWA passengers are often much more 'conversant' than the 'jerky' carriers. I have laughed, just hearing the 'background noise' of people forming new relationships and I have really enjoyed learning about and from other travelers!

Share some LUV.

Quote:
Well, yes, I am pretty passionately against bullying.
This is a good start, especially from someone living in CO. I cannot even begin to share the grief / painful results of the drastic effect of CO bullying, from my / peer experiences 50 yrs ago and still increasingly prevalent today. It is a tragic social burden, many lives destroyed. Bullying is very bad and dangerous in CO (from residents (NATIVES) to disillusioned Nirvana seekers. Ironically DEN is also the only one of 2 locations I have frequent and unfriendly bouts with TSA. (Bully bosses enable bully staff, and everyone suffers)

A Chronic illness

Interesting... I will start quantifying encountering of inbound and outbound DEN flts for 'Seat Savers', then try to discern their origin and reasoning. As a boring engineer... I kinda like a diversion to study Sociology! / feely stuff.

BTW: We have never heard the AGE of the OP kids? (age 25?)

Mine were very happy to sit apart on airplane when we traveled extensively as a family. They enjoyed their SPACE and ability to engage in conversation / learning from others. We enjoyed hearing and learning about their experiences! Kids are such a great avenue of un-intimidated / un-inhibited relationship building. They are GREAT Ambassadors! They should be FA 'assistants'. Recently SWA allowed a kid to distribute Valentine's Day candy to the entire flight. (Good PR!... and a calming / pleasant attitude for the flight (to sooth all the 'seat savers' / people next to you about to go POSTAL!)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-24-2019 at 12:57 PM..

Old 03-24-2019, 12:56 PM

3,850 posts, read 9,438,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Claiming a seat, whether it's for oneself or a traveling companion, is not bullying. You can disagree with Southwest allowing seat saving, but misusing words like that just weakens any argument you make.
Yeah, but you miss an important point. It's OK to save seats in a theater or restaurant - I don't think anyone would even think twice about it. But in the case of SW, people had to pay extra to board early so they could have a better seat selection, whether it's because they preferred a certain place on the plane or they had multiple people traveling that wanted to be together. That's why they charge extra for that privilege. When someone who didn't pay the extra charge reaps the benefit of getting that choice seat, it's cheating the system. It may not be formally "against the rules" but it doesn't make it right or the decent thing to do.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:56 PM

9,780 posts, read 4,995,849 times
Quote:
Well, yes, I am pretty passionately against bullying.

But you seem to lack knowledge of Southwest seating practices. The seat was not open, it was claimed. Southwest has made it clear that is permissible and that a seat can be claimed on behalf of a traveling companion without specifically being occupied at that moment. The bullying man therefore intimidated someone into giving up a seat that was NOT open, simply because he thought he was more entitled to it than anyone else.
No they haven't.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:06 PM

903 posts, read 230,278 times
Quote:
Or they will make the seat saving policy explicit, since so many people seem unable to grasp that the lack of a prohibition is the same thing as allowing it. And then they can advise the whiners to book flights on a different carrier with assigned seating, because whining isn't going to give them their way when someone has already claimed the seat they want - which is of course what already happens, the whiners just like to whine about it.
No, not it's not. There simply is no policy at all. SWA corporate has come out and basically said, "Yeah, we guess you "can" do it, as long as it doesn't impede the flow of boarding." What you are failing to grasp is the last part of that statement, which is the only part SWA cares about. SWA knows that most people are conflict-avoidant and will just move on to another seat. However, you yourself have posted a news article and several posters have given anecdotes that when seat-savers are confronted, they generally lose the battle.

It would surprise me greatly if they made the seat saving policy explicit. Since they obviously implemented Early-Bird boarding to be a profit center, it would seem like they'd actually be losing money by not expressly prohibiting seat saving. But, I'm sure they've done their homework on this and don't see it to be a problem they need to address at this time.

However, what you're failing to truly address is the title and subject of this thread: Southwest seating etiquette. Etiquette rules are generally unwritten but well known rules that most decent members of a society try to adhere to. So, just because SWA doesn't have a policy for or against seat saving, doesn't mean that seat saving isn't a **** move that flies in the face of common etiquette.

Sure, I can go into a Michelin-rated restaurant and slurp my soup out of the bowl and chug my red wine out of the bottle. It's doubtful the restaurant has a policy strictly prohibiting this. That doesn't mean all the other diners won't be staring at me like an uncouth yokel.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:25 PM

21,159 posts, read 11,761,610 times
Well, it's clear to see who has a valid point to make and those (more than one person) who have resorted to personal attacks on the intelligence and character of those who have a different opinion. Kind of sad really, especially since these people are holding themselves out as some kind of paragons of virtue.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:51 PM

604 posts, read 259,871 times
It’s like butting the line. Poor form.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:15 PM

5,410 posts, read 2,816,274 times
Quote:
Well, it's clear to see who has a valid point to make and those (more than one person) who have resorted to personal attacks on the intelligence and character of those who have a different opinion. Kind of sad really, especially since these people are holding themselves out as some kind of paragons of virtue.
Oh, so it is OK for you to call other people bullies and whiners but not the reverse?

Old 03-24-2019, 05:19 PM

9,650 posts, read 4,548,107 times
If one buys Early Bird and gets A-12, is it ok for the whole family to stand in line and board before A-13? Because to me, it is essentially the same thing as you are elevating the whole family's ability to select a seat before A-13. Whether you can "get away with it" aside, it's clearly not in the spirit of the boarding process. Maybe SWA should just require all tickets in a booking to be upgraded.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:19 PM

72 posts, read 17,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Oh, so it is OK for you to call other people bullies and whiners but not the reverse?
^^THIS^^ Also the use of the word bully has gotten out of hand. I see people using it all the time now to try and get their way when there is no bullying happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or