U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-24-2019, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,159 posts, read 11,761,610 times
Reputation: 32142

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Oh, so it is OK for you to call other people bullies and whiners but not the reverse?
I was clearly talking about someone in a newspaper article. And if someone thinks a 6'2" man intimidating a woman to the point where she was in tears because she was saving a seat for her boyfriend isn't bullying, I really don't even know what to say.

 
Old 03-24-2019, 06:29 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
12,574 posts, read 15,041,157 times
Reputation: 12118
After two decades of flying on Southwest (usually between 30-85 flights a year) for business, I’ve witnessed several incidents of folks trying to “advance their positions” (or the positions of others) in the boarding line.

1/ I was in line boarding a flight in position A9, and a man in front of me, who was traveling with his son (maybe 12 years old or so), wanted his son to board with him. His son had boarding position Cxx. He called his son up to his position to join him.

As the gate agent started the boarding process, he walked up to the agent and asked if his son could board with him. The gate agent politely informed him that this is against Southwest policy and told his son to return to his position in line. The man was unhappy, but it would have been unfair to the other passengers behind them, if the gate agent allowed the son to board with him.

2/ I was boarding a flight out of San Jose airport and in position A16 or so. As the gate agent started the boarding process, a woman came out from behind us and surreptitiously “merged”
into the Business Select boarding group. I glanced at her boarding pass and it was in the high B range. As she approached the gate agent, and handed her boarding pass to her, the boarding pass reader made a loud “buzz” (not the pleasant “bling” noise it normally does).
The gate agent looked at her boarding pass and told her to return to her proper boarding position in the line. She was thoroughly embarrassed.

Based on what I’ve seen over the years, the folks at Southwest request passengers to adhere to their procedures for boarding. I’ve not seen exceptions made.
 
Old 03-24-2019, 06:39 PM
 
903 posts, read 230,278 times
Reputation: 2047
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I was clearly talking about someone in a newspaper article. And if someone thinks a 6'2" man intimidating a woman to the point where she was in tears because she was saving a seat for her boyfriend isn't bullying, I really don't even know what to say.
Just because she got overemotional because her and her little boyfriend's scheme didn't work doesn't mean the man "intimidated" her.

Besides, this is a world of equality. Let's stop worrying about sex and height, eh?
 
Old 03-24-2019, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,159 posts, read 11,761,610 times
Reputation: 32142
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Just because she got overemotional because her and her little boyfriend's scheme didn't work doesn't mean the man "intimidated" her.

Besides, this is a world of equality. Let's stop worrying about sex and height, eh?
Men and women can be equal yet different. And a larger person can be more physically imposing than a smaller one.

Not to mention there was no "scheme" involved, just the normal activity of saving a seat on a plane where people do that all the time and it's allowed by virtue of not being prohibited. His choice to be a jerk in order to get his way doesn't change that.
 
Old 03-24-2019, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,159 posts, read 11,761,610 times
Reputation: 32142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post

Based on what Iíve seen over the years, the folks at Southwest request passengers to adhere to their procedures for boarding. Iíve not seen exceptions made.
I don't believe anyone in the thread has said that Southwest makes exception to their boarding process, just that they don't prohibit people from saving seats for traveling companions that are in a different boarding group. I do know from personal experience that as long as you are in the same boarding group, your pass goes through the scanner even if (for example) B37 ends up boarding prior to B33, because I've seen that happen many times.
 
Old 03-24-2019, 07:13 PM
 
12,581 posts, read 7,520,870 times
Reputation: 23628
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't believe anyone in the thread has said that Southwest makes exception to their boarding process, just that they don't prohibit people from saving seats for traveling companions that are in a different boarding group.
And that is why it's also doubtful that Southwest is really okay with people saving seats. It really is no different then skipping ahead in line and boarding ahead of time. Southwest is against line skippers, and I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the near future they also made an official policy against seat savers.
 
Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,159 posts, read 11,761,610 times
Reputation: 32142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And that is why it's also doubtful that Southwest is really okay with people saving seats. It really is no different then skipping ahead in line and boarding ahead of time. Southwest is against line skippers, and I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the near future they also made an official policy against seat savers.
They serve different purposes. Boarding numbers are for an orderly and quick boarding process. Since the majority of passengers understand the difference between an open seat and a claimed seat, seat saving doesn't delay the boarding process except for the people who feel that they are entitled to whatever seat they want, regardless of whether someone has claimed it. Fortunately, that seems to be the exception rather than the rule and generally there are not delays in boarding caused by it.

fwiw, in my experience, the biggest delay once people are on the plane is finding overhead compartment space, often exacerbated by some people trying to get bags that they can't lift by themselves into a compartment.
 
Old 03-24-2019, 08:10 PM
 
903 posts, read 230,278 times
Reputation: 2047
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Men and women can be equal yet different. And a larger person can be more physically imposing than a smaller one.

Not to mention there was no "scheme" involved, just the normal activity of saving a seat on a plane where people do that all the time and it's allowed by virtue of not being prohibited. His choice to be a jerk in order to get his way doesn't change that.
Except, 95%+ of people are telling you on this forum that you are wrong. Even if "sort of" allowed, it flies in the face of SWA's first-come, first-served boarding process where everyone has an individual boarding number.

So, yes, it is a "scheme."
 
Old 03-24-2019, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,159 posts, read 11,761,610 times
Reputation: 32142
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Except, 95%+ of people are telling you on this forum that you are wrong. Even if "sort of" allowed, it flies in the face of SWA's first-come, first-served boarding process where everyone has an individual boarding number.

So, yes, it is a "scheme."
A handful of people on a CD thread are not "95+ of people" and I'll stick with my personal experiences and observations from flying on Southwest where I have never seen someone try to force someone to give up a saved seat. So nope, I'm not wrong but thanks for playing.
 
Old 03-24-2019, 08:33 PM
 
903 posts, read 230,278 times
Reputation: 2047
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
A handful of people on a CD thread are not "95+ of people" and I'll stick with my personal experiences and observations from flying on Southwest where I have never seen someone try to force someone to give up a saved seat. So nope, I'm not wrong but thanks for playing.
I didn't say 95% of all people; I said 95%+ of people "on this forum." I know from the arguments you've been making on this topic that you like to selectively pick out words that only support your argument, but come on...

(And that doesn't negate that it is a "scheme." But, thanks for playing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top