U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 07:05 AM

1,973 posts, read 1,304,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You know it was a "**** move". You paid for one early boarding when you could have paid for all your family. Getting A-12 then saving seats was equivalent to getting A-12 and having your wife and kid board as A-13 and A-14.

This is one of those "cheats" that only works as long as most aren't doing it. What if the previous 11 had each saved a row of seats? How can tell a man is traveling with his family and saving seats for them versus a man that is traveling alone and saving seats to have more space if the flight isn't full?
This is exactly why what the OP did is a crap move- if everyone on the plane did this, boarding would be a complete mess and take forever.

He's just cheap.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:10 AM

43,534 posts, read 52,616,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

If you are early to the movie theater and you save a seat for your spouse, who is coming 30 minutes later, are you being selfish? What if you save two seats for your spouse and your child?
You really can't use this analogy because the people who wanted your seats that you were saving had paid extra for access to them.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:31 AM

3,764 posts, read 3,499,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I can't believe this thread is still going like the energizer bunny.
I know, I even admitted I was wrong, but the haters just keep on hating. It's mob psychology.

Bottom line is that the airline doesn't prohibit seat saving but it's better not to, or at least do it towards the rear of the plane.

But if you absolutely must do it towards the front, sit in the aisle seat. No one's going to get your saved seats if you're physically blocking them.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:20 AM

3,207 posts, read 1,634,501 times
I have flow SW Air for years and avoid it if I can. When I do, I get the early bird seating so we don't have to go through this kind of thing. Not sure if anyone remembers, but SW used to line up all the passengers against the wall depending when you got there and assign you a number starting at 1, there were no zones, first come, first serve. Next was the zone system with 3 pie shaped areas, A,B,C and you would go to your assigned area and jostle for a good position boarding the plane, it was people at their worst, finally we have the current system for better or for worse, which generates income for SW Air.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:10 AM

726 posts, read 550,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
How old is your child? If the child is younger than about 6, certainly people are willing to accommodate that.
don't they usually let families with young children go first anyways? The last few southwest flights I was on they always had the kids and their parents board first (with the people with disabilities, etc).

Old 03-25-2019, 09:25 AM

9,773 posts, read 4,991,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
don't they usually let families with young children go first anyways? The last few southwest flights I was on they always had the kids and their parents board first (with the people with disabilities, etc).
They let families with children 6 and under board after the A group, not during pre-boarding.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:30 AM

3,960 posts, read 1,688,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
They let families with children 6 and under board after the A group, not during pre-boarding.
This is not entirely true. They let ONE parent board with each child under six. They will not let an entire family board with a child under six. In the last flight I took (in December) they sent the rest of the family group to sit back down. That said, I am not sure what happens if one parent is flying with two kids- one of whom is 7 and one is 3. I assume they donít make the 7 year old sit on her own alone in group C. However, if it is a case of two parents and an 8-year-old and a 2-year-old, only one parent will be allowed to board with the 2-year-old child and the other parent will have to stand in line with the 8-year-old child.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:40 AM

21,155 posts, read 11,754,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
This is not entirely true. They let ONE parent board with each child under six. They will not let an entire family board with a child under six. In the last flight I took (in December) they sent the rest of the family group to sit back down. That said, I am not sure what happens if one parent is flying with two kids- one of whom is 7 and one is 3. I assume they donít make the 7 year old sit on her own alone in group C. However, if it is a case of two parents and an 8-year-old and a 2-year-old, only one parent will be allowed to board with the 2-year-old child and the other parent will have to stand in line with the 8-year-old child.
I fly with my elderly mother sometimes who uses a wheelchair in airports, and also with my son. He's now 14, but as recently as a couple of years ago, they had him board early with us when I was boarding with my mom. If another adult with with us, they let the other adult board with my mom, and then my son and I boarded separately according to our assigned boarding groups.

I'm surprised to hear they are splitting up family groups in the way you are describing because I've definitely seen older kids/entire families be allowed to use family boarding as long as there were younger kids too. But I'm not going to claim I paid so much attention that I know for sure there weren't perhaps 2 children under 6, so they would let both parents board early and then weren't going to make a 7 or 8 year old wait on their own.

I suppose it's up to the discretion of the gate agent - the last time we flew with my mom, my son definitely looked young-ish. I mean, he was clearly well over 6, but clearly not a teen either. At this point, if we do go with my mom again, I would expect them to have him wait on his own while I board with her. She takes the aisle seat so she has some extra room and I take the window. But I guess I'll still be a jerk according to the people on this thread if I then go ahead and save the middle seat between us for him.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:43 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,665,305 times
For those who think seat-saving is fine, where do you draw the line? Let's say you pay extra to get into boarding group A and the rest of your party is in boarding group C. Which of these is okay?

Saving an entire row for two companions has already been established as fine and dandy.
How about saving two rows for a party of 6?
What if everyone in that party of 6 prefers aisle seats? Is it okay to say, sit in 12C and save 12D, 13 C and D, and 14 C and D?
What if it's a family reunion and 10 of you are flying? Can you save 10 seats so everyone can sit together? How about 10 aisle or window seats?

What if you get on in boarding group A, which you have paid extra for because you have a 45-minute connection and want to get a seat as close to the front of the plane as possible but the 12 people in front of you have decided to save the first 12 rows? Would you be fine with that?

Yes, this is getting absurd, but so is the premise that if you get on first, you have fair game to claim any seats you want for any number of companions who did not pay to get on in a timely manner.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:41 PM

9,773 posts, read 4,991,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That's technically the policy, but *most* gate agents will use their discretion and allow the whole family to board together, especially if one of the children needs to be carried (and the other parent is needed to wrangle bags). I can't say I've ever seen a gate agent uphold the "one adult" rule, to be honest. I'll have to pay attention to the announcements this weekend. (I purchased Early Bird, so I'll likely be in Group A and won't be able to witness the family boarding.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or