U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 01:29 PM

12,581 posts, read 7,520,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
don't they usually let families with young children go first anyways? The last few southwest flights I was on they always had the kids and their parents board first (with the people with disabilities, etc).
The OP's kid is probably a teenager. It's been asked several times on this thread how old the kid is, but the OP keeps avoiding those questions.

If the kid was 7 or 8, I think people would be more sympathetic to the OP wanting his child to sit with a patent. But a teenager? They'll be fine for 4 hours sitting away from their parents on a plane.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:41 PM

21,159 posts, read 11,761,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The OP's kid is probably a teenager. It's been asked several times on this thread how old the kid is, but the OP keeps avoiding those questions.

If the kid was 7 or 8, I think people would be more sympathetic to the OP wanting his child to sit with a patent. But a teenager? They'll be fine for 4 hours sitting away from their parents on a plane.
Try reading this twitter thread before saying oh, they are teens, they'll be fine sitting away from their parents on a plane. I'm not claiming incidents like these are common place, but they aren't non-existent either

Old 03-25-2019, 01:43 PM

1,827 posts, read 782,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
On a recent trip, my family of three took Southwest on a 4 hour flight across the country. I love SW and always try to use them when possible.

This last trip, I didn't get Early Bird seating, and we ended up in the C boarding group for a sold-out flight.

When we got to the airport, I upgraded myself to A-12 for $40, and reserved a row for the family, spreading my stuff around to make it clear. As seats filled up, people began asking if the seats were free. When my wife got there, I joked that I had to fight to defend our seats, and she scolded me for being "insensitive" and "selfish". The people in the row behind us overheard, and apparently gave me a disapproving look.

I don't see how it's selfish to save seats when you're traveling with a child. I don't want us split up, my kid maybe forced to sit with strangers. But maybe there is some unwritten etiquette that you shouldn't save seats for your loved ones on airlines with unassigned seating. Thoughts? Opinions?
What you should have done is booked A-12 for both you and your child or your wife and your child then sit in isle and window. Chances are no one will sit in the middle. If someone does try to sit in it move over so you have window and middle and let them have isle and whoever in your party boarded last can sit somewhere by themselves.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:03 PM

12,581 posts, read 7,520,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Try reading this twitter thread before saying oh, they are teens, they'll be fine sitting away from their parents on a plane. I'm not claiming incidents like these are common place, but they aren't non-existent either

And what are to odds of that happening? Yes, there are creepy people in the world, but I'm not going to let stories like this dictate my life. Creeps can be anywhere, should parents of teenagers never let their children leave the house?

Old 03-25-2019, 03:01 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,666,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And what are to odds of that happening? Yes, there are creepy people in the world, but I'm not going to let stories like this dictate my life. Creeps can be anywhere, should parents of teenagers never let their children leave the house?
Exactly. Teenagers are vastly safer on an airplane than left unattended at a friend's house with no parents home (or sometimes WITH parents home), walking to the corner store, or getting behind the wheel or in the car with another teen driver. I'm somewhat overprotective, and I have let my teens fly unaccompanied all over the country and, in fact, my son flew unaccompanied to Australia. My biggest concern is that they will catch some virus on the plane.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:12 PM

21,159 posts, read 11,761,610 times
I explicitly said it wasn't common, but it's not like parents have no reason at all to want to sit near a teenage child while traveling.

And of course there are all kinds of other reasons, like a child with a hidden issue of some type, such as anxiety, where being near an adult who knows how to keep them calm is every bit as important as being able to keep a much younger child happy on a flight.

When you have no idea of the full story, it's easy to make assumptions about it being no big deal for families to be separated just because your child could handle being seated with strangers. Not every one can.

Last edited by emm74; 03-25-2019 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-25-2019, 03:27 PM

8,207 posts, read 2,424,643 times
Quote:
On a recent trip, my family of three took Southwest on a 4 hour flight across the country. I love SW and always try to use them when possible.

This last trip, I didn't get Early Bird seating, and we ended up in the C boarding group for a sold-out flight.

When we got to the airport, I upgraded myself to A-12 for $40, and reserved a row for the family, spreading my stuff around to make it clear. As seats filled up, people began asking if the seats were free. When my wife got there, I joked that I had to fight to defend our seats, and she scolded me for being "insensitive" and "selfish". The people in the row behind us overheard, and apparently gave me a disapproving look.

I don't see how it's selfish to save seats when you're traveling with a child. I don't want us split up, my kid maybe forced to sit with strangers. But maybe there is some unwritten etiquette that you shouldn't save seats for your loved ones on airlines with unassigned seating. Thoughts? Opinions?
If you want to make sure you get to sit next to your child, go to the back and sit in an aisle or window seat and save the middle. Middle seats in the back are the last to be chosen. Also, your child gets to be near the lavatory, which is usually a good thing. Saving a row of three across up front is bad form.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:30 PM

8,207 posts, read 2,424,643 times
Quote:
So you're saying, if you don't board together, you don't have the right to sit together?
That's right, you don't. But it's not a problem for two people if you do what I said in my comment above.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:37 PM

1,199 posts, read 435,162 times
emm74:
It is true that without a clear cut policy you can CLAIM any number of seats you want, as it is NOT PROHIBITED.

But by extension, without a clear cut policy, other passengers can then CLAIM that seat as it is NOT OCCUPIED and that is EXPLICITLY ALLOWED.

See how logic works?

And as far as etiquette goes, saving seats in the situation described is rude, but putting up a fight to keep them would be wrong.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,541 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
What you should have done is booked A-12 for both you and your child or your wife and your child then sit in isle and window. ....
Yes... it would have been best etiquette to buy the Early Bird for the Wife and kid, and the papa (whoever) takes what's left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or