U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 07:24 PM

13,240 posts, read 8,115,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I explicitly said it wasn't common, but it's not like parents have no reason at all to want to sit near a teenage child while traveling.

And of course there are all kinds of other reasons, like a child with a hidden issue of some type, such as anxiety, where being near an adult who knows how to keep them calm is every bit as important as being able to keep a much younger child happy on a flight.

When you have no idea of the full story, it's easy to make assumptions about it being no big deal for families to be separated just because your child could handle being seated with strangers. Not every one can.
And if it is a requirement that your child has to sit next to you (for whatever reason), then you need to buy both yourself and the child early bird, or book with an airline that does assigned seats.

And if you have both a child and a spouse that has severe anxiety, or some other hidden issue, then get 3 early birds.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:35 PM

5,973 posts, read 3,934,112 times
Quote:
I explicitly said it wasn't common, but it's not like parents have no reason at all to want to sit near a teenage child while traveling.

And of course there are all kinds of other reasons, like a child with a hidden issue of some type, such as anxiety, where being near an adult who knows how to keep them calm is every bit as important as being able to keep a much younger child happy on a flight.

When you have no idea of the full story, it's easy to make assumptions about it being no big deal for families to be separated just because your child could handle being seated with strangers. Not every one can.
That is when everyone in the party should pay for earlybird seating or a different airline should be chosen. If I had a child who could not sit alone, I'd make sure I arranged for us to sit together. I would not pay for special seating for myself and then assume that I'd be able to block others from sitting where they want because I have this super special extenuating circumstance.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:55 PM

3,992 posts, read 3,673,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
If you want to make sure you get to sit next to your child, go to the back and sit in an aisle or window seat and save the middle. Middle seats in the back are the last to be chosen. Also, your child gets to be near the lavatory, which is usually a good thing. Saving a row of three across up front is bad form.
I said basically the same thing earlier in this thread.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:13 PM

21,927 posts, read 12,738,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
That is when everyone in the party should pay for earlybird seating or a different airline should be chosen. If I had a child who could not sit alone, I'd make sure I arranged for us to sit together. I would not pay for special seating for myself and then assume that I'd be able to block others from sitting where they want because I have this super special extenuating circumstance.
I didn't say anything about buying early bird boarding or even saving seats or anything else along those lines, I was just responding to all the "it's not going to kill you if your teenager has to sit by themselves on a flight" comments, as if there was no possible valid reason why that might not be accurate

Old 03-25-2019, 10:25 PM
Status: "I Have A New Attitude Going Into 2020." (set 17 days ago)

3,631 posts, read 4,208,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
....."If I'm A30, I should be the 30th person on the plane, not effectively the 88th because the other 29 people are all saving 2 additional seats."
This is it in a nutshell, no other explanation, discussion or argument necessary, IMO.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:29 PM

13,240 posts, read 8,115,422 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about buying early bird boarding or even saving seats or anything else along those lines, I was just responding to all the "it's not going to kill you if your teenager has to sit by themselves on a flight" comments, as if there was no possible valid reason why that might not be accurate
And those comments were in response to the OP who was saving seats instead of getting early bird for his wife and son. Because that is what this thread is about.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:30 PM

6,224 posts, read 3,340,108 times
Quote:

So then pay the seat upgrade for the kid, too.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:53 PM
Status: "I Have A New Attitude Going Into 2020." (set 17 days ago)

3,631 posts, read 4,208,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia;54765733[B
]If one buys Early Bird and gets A-12, is it ok for the whole family to stand in line and board before A-13? Because to me, it is essentially the same thing as you are elevating the whole family's ability to select a seat before A-13.[/b] Whether you can "get away with it" aside, it's clearly not in the spirit of the boarding process. Maybe SWA should just require all tickets in a booking to be upgraded.
Another good solution to the subject matter of SWA seating etiquette. When put in this context, "I should be number x, not number additional 3, or 5 or 8 more further down the line" problem solved. I like the suggestion that SWA should require ALL tickets in a booking to be upgraded. Another way to solve this problem.

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 03-25-2019 at 11:42 PM..

Old 03-25-2019, 10:57 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,069,593 times
Yeah, that was grade-A selfish poor form. Your wife was spot-on.

You are lucky you only got disapproving looks.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:00 PM

1,426 posts, read 497,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
If I'm A30, I should be the 30th person on the plane, not effectively the 88th because the other 29 people are all saving 2 additional seats.

A typical Southwest 737 has 24 rows of seats. 48 aisle seats and 48 window seats. If you are A30, you likely have your pick of aisle or window seats, even if the first 29 are saving their entire row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or