U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2019, 10:43 PM
Status: "I am Blessed." (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Spurs country. "Go, Spurs, Go!"
3,440 posts, read 3,996,372 times
Reputation: 8953

Advertisements

^^^^^You are absolutely missing the point!

 
Old 03-26-2019, 02:36 AM
 
5,499 posts, read 2,948,692 times
Reputation: 24657
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
So you're saying, if you don't board together, you don't have the right to sit together?
The right??? I am checking the USA Constitution now, I do not see anything about "the right to sit together". IF you wanted to sit together, you either pay for Early Bird, or you upgrade all seats. You are wrong to save three seats. It was unfair to all the other Passengers that had etiquette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Is Southwest seriously going to say "Sorry, you can't sit together; you have to let whatever random person comes along take the seats next to you!" Families would quickly stop flying Southwest and, you may not be aware, Southwest is a rather family-oriented airline.
IF someone wanted "your saved seats" you would have to give them up. IF there was a problem, and you voiced your dismay, you would either have to give up your saved seats, or be escorted off the plane. It is open seating, first come, first serve. This isn't a movie theatre. People pay for early boarding for themselves. What if every one that got early boarding and saved seats? By the time the B group rolled around there would be single seats.

Just play fair.

Last edited by GiGi603; 03-26-2019 at 03:11 AM..
 
Old 03-26-2019, 04:56 AM
 
3,765 posts, read 3,517,934 times
Reputation: 8938
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
The right??? I am checking the USA Constitution now, I do not see anything about "the right to sit together". IF you wanted to sit together, you either pay for Early Bird, or you upgrade all seats. You are wrong to save three seats. It was unfair to all the other Passengers that had etiquette.



IF someone wanted "your saved seats" you would have to give them up. IF there was a problem, and you voiced your dismay, you would either have to give up your saved seats, or be escorted off the plane. It is open seating, first come, first serve. This isn't a movie theatre. People pay for early boarding for themselves. What if every one that got early boarding and saved seats? By the time the B group rolled around there would be single seats.

Just play fair.
The airline doesn't prohibit saving seats, so I doubt this would happen, except in your fantasies.

In the real world, people sometimes need to save a seat. If everyone did it, the airline would change the system. But it's just a few, in my experience.
 
Old 03-26-2019, 06:26 AM
 
9,911 posts, read 5,088,948 times
Reputation: 34262
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The airline doesn't prohibit saving seats, so I doubt this would happen, except in your fantasies.
Nor do they expressly allow it. So if someone came along and wanted the seat you were saving and it became an issue, the flight attendant would have to step in. And because there is no policy, it could go either way. So yes, it could be possible that you are told to give up the seat. And if you argue with the FA, removal from the plane is a possibility. They don't like their authority to be challenged.
 
Old 03-26-2019, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,661 posts, read 3,695,542 times
Reputation: 10621
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The airline doesn't prohibit saving seats, so I doubt this would happen, except in your fantasies.

In the real world, people sometimes need to save a seat. If everyone did it, the airline would change the system. But it's just a few, in my experience.
Right, the few who think they don't need to conform to the basic etiquette that everyone else is following....

So not only did you decide you were more special than the masses, which is bad enough, now you are trying to convince everyone else that you were in the right because you actually ARE that special. LOL
 
Old 03-26-2019, 06:35 AM
 
985 posts, read 275,762 times
Reputation: 2733
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There’s a popular seafood shack by me (very good and pretty cheap by local standards) that posts they expect people to share tables during busy times
Yup. It worked fine in Asia, it was like an unspoken rule. The difference is that there, unlike in the U.S., you just sit at a table that another person/people happen(s) to be at-- but don't feel the need to talk to them and be chit-chatty or feel rude if you don't (which is probably what makes people too uncomfortable and not want to do it. Americans seem to think more than some cultures that they have to be friendly to strangers, because somehow in our mind it jumps straight from "talking to someone" to "rude" with no in-between of "we are two strangers trying to navigate a public place and it's okay if we don't necessarily acknowledge each other").


Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Claiming a seat, whether it's for oneself or a traveling companion, is not bullying. You can disagree with Southwest allowing seat saving, but misusing words like that just weakens any argument you make.
So you admit that his claiming of a seat wasn't bullying, then?


Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I was clearly talking about someone in a newspaper article. And if someone thinks a 6'2" man intimidating a woman to the point where she was in tears because she was saving a seat for her boyfriend isn't bullying, I really don't even know what to say.
Is there a video of or witnesses to this interaction somewhere that puts it across as "intimidation" or "bullying"? Or is it simply a case of, someone was in the wrong, the other person didn't back down, therefore they're a bully? Because the story says he asked her to move the tablet, full stop, and then she was the one who freaked out (and had to be made drunk-- whether by her boyfriend or the guy who wanted the seat, it's not clear-- in order to get herself together, which doesn't suggest she's well-adjusted).


Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Men and women can be equal yet different. And a larger person can be more physically imposing than a smaller one.

Not to mention there was no "scheme" involved, just the normal activity of saving a seat on a plane where people do that all the time and it's allowed by virtue of not being prohibited. His choice to be a jerk in order to get his way doesn't change that.
Again, where does anything say he was a "jerk"? Is there some source, other than the news story already posted, for this that I don't know about? If so, please link it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
A handful of people on a CD thread are not "95+ of people" and I'll stick with my personal experiences and observations from flying on Southwest where I have never seen someone try to force someone to give up a saved seat. So nope, I'm not wrong but thanks for playing.
And other people here are telling you that they HAVE seen it. So...


Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges.

By the time people are up using the restrooms, you have been in the air for awhile. People already have their seats. The only time people will change seats is after it is clear that there is an unoccupied seat.


What the OP is doing is called "pulling a fast one".


Pay for everyone to board early, or travel with airlines that have assigned seating.
And even then, it might not be okay-- they do tell you that you can't move to a premium seat or to business/first class.



Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I know, I even admitted I was wrong, but the haters just keep on hating. It's mob psychology.

Bottom line is that the airline doesn't prohibit seat saving but it's better not to, or at least do it towards the rear of the plane.

But if you absolutely must do it towards the front, sit in the aisle seat. No one's going to get your saved seats if you're physically blocking them.
There are other people in this thread besides you. Not sure if you had noticed (besides, I thought you were done?). No one's actually responding to you anymore, so chill.

So, if you're "physically blocking" someone, exactly what means do you feel you will use to keep them from passing you? Because any I can think of would lead to assault charges if you tried them on me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You really can't use this analogy because the people who wanted your seats that you were saving had paid extra for access to them.
Or, what if the show was going to sell out and you got to the theater early and saved places in line for your friends who didn't want to arrive early? Or, yes-- what if it was open seating and you came to save the best seats for a group of people who didn't want to show up early? Sometimes getting what you want requires sacrifice, whether it's of time, effort, money, or some combination of the three. If you don't want to make the sacrifice, you risk not getting what you want, and you need to be okay with that-- or choose to make the sacrifice. In the OP's case, it wasn't worth $80 to be able to sit with his family, which is fine because I'd do the same thing, because I'll freely admit to being cheap about some things... but... he still expected to get the benefit and would have been angry had he not gotten it. I won't pay extra to be able to choose my seat on some flights... and I'm fine with sitting wherever they happen to put me. I have my preferences and I hope to get them, but I'm aware I could get stuck with the crappiest seat on the plane. If I'm not okay with that, like for long flights, I'll pay up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The OP's kid is probably a teenager. It's been asked several times on this thread how old the kid is, but the OP keeps avoiding those questions.

If the kid was 7 or 8, I think people would be more sympathetic to the OP wanting his child to sit with a patent. But a teenager? They'll be fine for 4 hours sitting away from their parents on a plane.
People *are* sympathetic... and they've said the OP is totally free to buy early boarding for anyone he wants to sit with him. That's the sticking point. He did have options for having the family sit together... he chose not to avail himself of them. I don't understand why so many people are missing the point of this. It's not like OP had absolutely no choice in the matter and those mean SWA people would have forced his family to sit apart no matter what. He just made his choice and could have come up against a situation where he didn't like the consequences of that choice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I explicitly said it wasn't common, but it's not like parents have no reason at all to want to sit near a teenage child while traveling.

And of course there are all kinds of other reasons, like a child with a hidden issue of some type, such as anxiety, where being near an adult who knows how to keep them calm is every bit as important as being able to keep a much younger child happy on a flight.

When you have no idea of the full story, it's easy to make assumptions about it being no big deal for families to be separated just because your child could handle being seated with strangers. Not every one can.
Again... if you know you are flying with a child who needs you near them, then you buy early boarding for both of you to ensure that you are seated together. Problem solved. Or, perhaps you don't make an anxious child board a plane in the first place.
 
Old 03-26-2019, 06:36 AM
 
3,765 posts, read 3,517,934 times
Reputation: 8938
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Right, the few who think they don't need to conform to the basic etiquette that everyone else is following....
You mean, the unwritten rule that no one knows about except the exalted priests of etiquette like yourself, lecturing the rest of us from your high horse.
 
Old 03-26-2019, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,661 posts, read 3,695,542 times
Reputation: 10621
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
You mean, the unwritten rule that no one knows about except the exalted priests of etiquette like yourself, lecturing the rest of us from your high horse.
Right... no one other than almost everyone on this thread knows that you don't pay for a privilege for one person in the party and then sneak in the rest of your party under the same privilege without paying for them.

I mean, what if you were in line to purchase something on Black Friday and the rule was one of this specific item per person, and your family was 80 people behind you? Would you invite them to come up and stand with you because "we are a family and we have the right to stand together"? What if the store in question wasn't monitoring the line and said "you all handle it amongst yourselves"? Would that give you the right to take other people's spots that they had been waiting for because you yourself sprinted to the line while your wife and child parked the car? Surely you know that that is against the rules of basic etiquette. It's the same thing.
 
Old 03-26-2019, 06:47 AM
 
3,765 posts, read 3,517,934 times
Reputation: 8938
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

blah blah blah...

There are other people in this thread besides you. Not sure if you had noticed (besides, I thought you were done?). No one's actually responding to you anymore, so chill.

So who died and left you boss of the thread?

Quote:

So, if you're "physically blocking" someone, exactly what means do you feel you will use to keep them from passing you? Because any I can think of would lead to assault charges if you tried them on me.
If you tried to force your way past someone, that's assault.

You sound like a real fun person to sit next to on a long flight!

 
Old 03-26-2019, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Holly Springs, NC
1,337 posts, read 744,266 times
Reputation: 2030
Let me ask a question, pretend to want an answer, and then tell you why you're wrong.

So you have no manners in real life or online.

The fact that your own wife, who probably knows you better than anyone, said something should have been enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top