U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2019, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,173 posts, read 1,573,758 times
Reputation: 1343

Advertisements

If you want to sit together you should pay for early boarding for all passengers.

 
Old 03-21-2019, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Various
1,100 posts, read 391,703 times
Reputation: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
But maybe there is some unwritten etiquette that you shouldn't save seats for your loved ones on airlines with unassigned seating. Thoughts? Opinions?
My thoughts is that there is an unwritten etiquette on this. I've flown Southwest plenty and just accept being split up is a possible outcome, and would never dream of trying to do what you did.

If i felt strongly enough that being split up was a bad outcome, I would buy a ticket on an airline that would eliminate this outcome.

The Movie example is not analogous as people do not pay differing prices to gain priority access to the cinema (at least not in any cinema I've been to in the USA).

I wouldn't see any problem with someone moving your property aside to take the vacant seat.
 
Old 03-21-2019, 08:13 PM
 
77 posts, read 18,790 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I'm not refusing to accept the right answer. I'm definitely going to question a questionable answer. If you don't like being disagreed with, maybe find another discussion to join.

Why is it a "**** move", as you so diplomatically phrase it, to save seats for your family? I can see if someone saves seats for random strangers that they would prefer to have sit near them, for example "I am waiting for a super skinny person to take the middle seat". Now that I would agree is a selfish move. But I can't see why it's selfish to want to sit next to your own family. In fact it's hard to imagine why any decent person would say that unless they themselves have no family and therefore can't relate to wanting to be with loved ones.

Actually it's easy to envision just this type of circumstance. For example, you are coming from work and the rest of your family from home, and meeting at the gate. You have no idea when they're going to get to the gate, so you get on the plane as early as allowed in order to secure seats next to each other. This probably happens all the time. Is Southwest seriously going to say "Sorry, you can't sit together; you have to let whatever random person comes along take the seats next to you!" Families would quickly stop flying Southwest and, you may not be aware, Southwest is a rather family-oriented airline.
Your envisioned circumstances are both irrelevant. I guess the only thing that really matters is have you badgered you wife enough to get her to change her mind?
 
Old 03-21-2019, 08:25 PM
 
3,764 posts, read 3,505,017 times
Reputation: 8938
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Your envisioned circumstances are both irrelevant. I guess the only thing that really matters is have you badgered you wife enough to get her to change her mind?
No amount of badgering has ever changed her mind on any subject.
 
Old 03-21-2019, 08:31 PM
 
77 posts, read 18,790 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
No amount of badgering has ever changed her mind on any subject.
Sounds just like my wife.
 
Old 03-21-2019, 09:25 PM
 
12,647 posts, read 7,559,525 times
Reputation: 23808
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
So you're saying, if you don't board together, you don't have the right to sit together?
Yes. If you want to sit together, then pay the extra money for everyone to board together. Or fly on an airline that allows you to choose your seat ahead of time.
 
Old 03-21-2019, 09:29 PM
 
12,647 posts, read 7,559,525 times
Reputation: 23808
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
But I can't see why it's selfish to want to sit next to your own family. In fact it's hard to imagine why any decent person would say that unless they themselves have no family and therefore can't relate to wanting to be with loved ones.
I have a family, but I know we'll all survive being apart for 4 hours.

And what happens if your saved seats mean another family who boards before your wife has to sit apart? Why does your family trump another's family?
 
Old 03-21-2019, 09:35 PM
 
12,647 posts, read 7,559,525 times
Reputation: 23808
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm not sure why your wife scolded you, I could see another passenger doing it but it seems weird that she would.
Maybe she was looking forward to some time apart?

She probably spent her time in line practicing her fake disappointment "Oh no, someone sat next to you? No, no, don't get up you were here first, well find another seat somewhere else. See you in 4 hours" as she fist pumps her way to the back of the plane.
 
Old 03-21-2019, 09:59 PM
 
800 posts, read 468,093 times
Reputation: 2658
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I'm not refusing to accept the right answer. I'm definitely going to question a questionable answer. If you don't like being disagreed with, maybe find another discussion to join.

Why is it a "**** move", as you so diplomatically phrase it, to save seats for your family? I can see if someone saves seats for random strangers that they would prefer to have sit near them, for example "I am waiting for a super skinny person to take the middle seat". Now that I would agree is a selfish move. But I can't see why it's selfish to want to sit next to your own family. In fact it's hard to imagine why any decent person would say that unless they themselves have no family and therefore can't relate to wanting to be with loved ones.

Actually it's easy to envision just this type of circumstance. For example, you are coming from work and the rest of your family from home, and meeting at the gate. You have no idea when they're going to get to the gate, so you get on the plane as early as allowed in order to secure seats next to each other. This probably happens all the time. Is Southwest seriously going to say "Sorry, you can't sit together; you have to let whatever random person comes along take the seats next to you!" Families would quickly stop flying Southwest and, you may not be aware, Southwest is a rather family-oriented airline.

Selfishness comes from truly believing that your special circumstance is greater than those around you justifying your behavior. You chose to board separately from your family, you were free to board later with them or pay to upgrade everyone. You chose the cheap way and decided your need for seats was greater than others with a similar boarding position and equal right to choose any unoccupied seat. Then you come here and ask for opinions and get bent when you disagree. It's truly laughable.
 
Old 03-21-2019, 10:54 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
12,597 posts, read 15,066,993 times
Reputation: 12144
I flew Southwest for years when my previous positions required a lot of work travel.
Saving seats for others is pretty much the same as allowing others to cut in the boarding line.

I think while Southwest doesn’t have a rule about saving seats, they state it pretty clearly during their boarding announcement:: “once on board the aircraft, pick ANY OPEN seat”.
“Any open seat” to me, means you have a choice of any seat where nobody is physically sitting.

If you want to board with your family or others together, everyone should upgrade, that’s why it’s available as an option.

Last edited by ccm123; 03-21-2019 at 11:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top