U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 09:14 AM

21,159 posts, read 11,768,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
You, yourself, posted a news article that shows this is not true. Why do you keep repeating this?

(You also keep ignoring the "if it doesn't impede boarding" context of that statement.)
I most certainly did not post an article saying this, the only article I posted about about a bully choosing to ignore common courtesy due to his own entitlement. It did not show that seat saving was not permitted just because he behaved like a spoiled brat who had never heard the word no before.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:18 AM

9,780 posts, read 5,000,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Still having a lack of basic understanding of logic, I see. There doesn't have to be a policy mandating seat saving, the absence of a prohibition means that it's allowed.
No, it doesn't. Only in your flawed logic.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
No, it doesn't. Only in your flawed logic.
lol! Sure, try to get a prosecutor to go ahead and take someone to court and explain to the judge how they broke a law that doesn't exist.

Seat saving policy is obviously not a law, but the logical analysis is the same. You can't break a rule that doesn't exist. Thus, saving a seat is not prohibited.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:10 AM

12,582 posts, read 7,530,391 times
Quote:
lol! Sure, try to get a prosecutor to go ahead and take someone to court and explain to the judge how they broke a law that doesn't exist.

Seat saving policy is obviously not a law, but the logical analysis is the same. You can't break a rule that doesn't exist. Thus, saving a seat is not prohibited.
What are you even going on about? You dont get arrested for not following a company's policy. You may be asked to leave, but unless you refuse to leave your not going to be arrested.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:12 AM

5,459 posts, read 2,921,256 times
Quote:
The title of the topic was: "Southwest seating etiquette".

Is there a rule? Is it prohibited? Not the point here, is it the right thing to do, is it proper etiquette?
Proper manners should be applied to this open seating.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
The title of the topic was: "Southwest seating etiquette".

Is there a rule? Is it prohibited? Not the point here, is it the right thing to do, is it proper etiquette?
Proper manners should be applied to this open seating.
And I do not give authority to someone else to dictate what "proper manners" are when it comes to a common practice such as saving a seat for someone. The fact that some people don't want that to be allowed doesn't change the fact that it's a customary behavior in all sorts of situations, and by declining to make a rule prohibiting it - even though some people have specifically requested that be done - Southwest has determined that it's not improper to do so in this particular venue as well. The people who don't agree with it can disagree but that doesn't mean they have the right to dictate their opinion must be followed by those who don't agree with it. That would of course be most improper etiquette after all.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What are you even going on about? You dont get arrested for not following a company's policy. You may be asked to leave, but unless you refuse to leave your not going to be arrested.
Reading comprehension fail of course, when I explicitly said it wasn't a law but the logic is the same. Southwest doesn't have a rule against it, so there is nothing to enforce on their part, which means that it's allowed.

Just like there's no rule against wearing a purple sweater. Someone may hate purple and want to demand that I remove my purple sweater so they don't have to look at it. Just because there's not a rule saying I'm allowed to wear purple doesn't mean that person gets to have their way.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:41 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,667,925 times
There are all kinds of things that there aren't laws for that are considered extremely rude. For example, there is no law that says kids who are sledding down a hill have to take turns. One kid could sled down and then run up the hill and sled again without letting those waiting in line go. The other kids will, of course, protest. But who is there to enforce a rule? Even eight-year-old children understand the unwritten etiquette.

I can't get in line at the grocery store with my full carriage and then see someone I know with a full carriage and invite her to skip the line and get in front of me. Is there a written law/rule about this? I have never seen a rule posted about how to stand in line at the grocery store. I doubt anyone would do anything about it other than complain. So therefore it's fine. No rule posted.

How about the 10 items or fewer lines? In that case, it's actually posted, but people go around it all the time. It's never enforced as far as I'm aware. I actually got in that line once by accident a few years ago; they had moved them from the first three lanes down to the last three, and I totally didn't even notice and just got in the last lane like I always do. I put all of my stuff on the belt and the employee said nothing, but the guy behind me complained. Only then did I realize it. I apologized and offered to let him go in front of me (he was the only person behind me), but the cashier had already started ringing up my stuff. Obviously I knew I was wrong and even if the store wasn't going to enforce the rule (which they routinely break if there are not many people in the store and nobody in that line), I felt terrible and rude. I apologized again as I left. And then I did not come on this forum and say, "well, there was only this one cranky guy behind me and I didn't know the lane had changed anyway and besides, the cashier didn't care, so tell me that it wasn't rude and that I was in the right."

There are etiquette rules that are just part of our culture, and in the USA, we wait in line in an orderly fashion and we don't save spots for people in lines where there is a limited amount of whatever is being sold. In this case, it's a limited number of aisle and/or window seats and seats toward the front of the plane.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:59 AM

9,780 posts, read 5,000,424 times
Quote:

It is not prohibited. It is not expressly permitted. If it causes a problem, the FA is going to use his/her discretion. Which may not be in the favor of the seat saver.

I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you to comprehend.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:56 PM

5,459 posts, read 2,921,256 times
Quote:
And I do not give authority to someone else to dictate what "proper manners" are when it comes to a common practice such as saving a seat for someone.
The OP was saving two seats. That is where it becomes not so nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or