U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 03:26 PM

3,850 posts, read 9,437,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
The title of the topic was: "Southwest seating etiquette".

Is there a rule? Is it prohibited? Not the point here, is it the right thing to do, is it proper etiquette?
Proper manners should be applied to this open seating.
And THAT should be the end of this thread, but for some reason we keep rehashing the same stuff over and over. The OP came to the conclusion that while not expressly prohibited, it was not the most polite thing to do, and yet, people keep berating him and arguing their point that it's not forbidden. Can't we all agree that just because it's not expressly forbidden doesn't make it right?

Old 03-26-2019, 05:39 PM

1,199 posts, read 435,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Still having a lack of basic understanding of logic, I see. There doesn't have to be a policy mandating seat saving, the absence of a prohibition means that it's allowed.
MANDATING seat saving, REALLY!???
Hasn't this gone far enough?

So let's do some real logic:

When you save a seat in a situation where a policy EXPLICITLY STATES that all passengers may take any UNOCCUPIED SEAT, meaning there is no living human sitting in it (god, has it come to this?) your claim to that seat is no more than a request for consideration, a favor as it were, which other passengers may honor... or not.

You may obtain their acquiescence in which case they have been nice.
But if you do not, you must relinquish the seat, as their right to occupy any unoccupied spot overrules your right to save the seat.

Why?

Because when rights collide there is an order of precedence that must be determined.
In this case I believe that an explicitly stated right to perform X TRUMPS an implicitly allowed right to do a conflicting act Y. Of course we could let The Supremes figure it out.. but I don't think they'd hear it.

So be nice to folks, don't get greedy, and you'll likely win the day.
Otherwise, just politely yield the right of way to the other passenger and live with it.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:10 PM

928 posts, read 253,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
So who died and left you boss of the thread?
:
OOOOOH, now we're getting touchy! You're the one complaining that other people continued to discuss the matter after you were (allegedly) done with it... so apparently you think YOU'RE the boss and feel a bit threatened? Whatever floats your boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
If you tried to force your way past someone, that's assault.

You sound like a real fun person to sit next to on a long flight!

If you don't let someone pass, who then tries to step over you, and you physically restrain them, what do you call that? (I'll wait while you consult your thesaurus.) Do you honestly believe it's okay for you to physically block someone's path so you can get your way??? Really???? (I didn't walk into a kindergarten by mistake, right?)

And yup, I'm a lot of fun, because I sit quietly in my seat and mind my own business and let others do the same-- and I don't try to get what's not mine to take. (But I like how you try to resort to personal attacks based on... nothing. You're getting creative! What else can you pull out of thin air?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't think anyone would consider it assault to step over someone to sit down next to them on a plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No sane person would. Are you suppose to stand in the aisle and beg them to live? No, you just go ahead and get in your seat.
That's precisely my point. If I must step over someone to sit down and they try to stop me-- which at that point would require grabbing, tripping, or shoving me, or similar, that's when it becomes assault. The fact that someone would do that at all, let alone over an airplane seat, let alone over an airplane seat they only think they have a right to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
The title of the topic was: "Southwest seating etiquette".

Is there a rule? Is it prohibited? Not the point here, is it the right thing to do, is it proper etiquette?
Proper manners should be applied to this open seating.
This. There are many things that are not technically illegal, but they're still d!ck moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And I do not give authority to someone else to dictate what "proper manners" are when it comes to a common practice such as saving a seat for someone. The fact that some people don't want that to be allowed doesn't change the fact that it's a customary behavior in all sorts of situations, and by declining to make a rule prohibiting it - even though some people have specifically requested that be done - Southwest has determined that it's not improper to do so in this particular venue as well. The people who don't agree with it can disagree but that doesn't mean they have the right to dictate their opinion must be followed by those who don't agree with it. That would of course be most improper etiquette after all.
And the fact that some people want it to be allowed doesn't change the fact that it's customary behavior to not take benefits you did not pay for.

And yup, your penultimate sentence is completely correct. Try it some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
And THAT should be the end of this thread, but for some reason we keep rehashing the same stuff over and over. The OP came to the conclusion that while not expressly prohibited, it was not the most polite thing to do, and yet, people keep berating him and arguing their point that it's not forbidden. Can't we all agree that just because it's not expressly forbidden doesn't make it right?
Well, no, people are arguing with other people in the thread... and the OP, yes, when he got back into it. As I pointed out to the OP, the thread doesn't have to end just because he no longer wants to discuss the topic. When you post a thread on the public internet, you give up the right to control what happens in said thread.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:31 PM

40,201 posts, read 15,174,148 times
Wow. The bickering and personal barbs in this thread are off the charts. How the heck did a thread about airline seating devolve into such a mess? Thread closed.

Everyone note: the next time this happens infractions will be issued to all ToS violators.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or