U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 12:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I flew Southwest for years when my previous positions required a lot of work travel.
Saving seats for others is pretty much the same as allowing others to cut in the boarding line.

I think while Southwest doesnít have a rule about saving seats, they state it pretty clearly during their boarding announcement:: ďonce on board the aircraft, pick ANY OPEN seatĒ.
ďAny open seatĒ to me, means you have a choice of any seat where nobody is physically sitting.

If you want to board with your family or others together, everyone should upgrade, thatís why itís available as an option.
$15 - $20 for early bird... if you want it, buy it. (For everyone)

Every open seat is fair game down to the last seat.

""allowing others to cut in the boarding line""

the regression of SWA society...
First it was saving seats (was more of a thing a few yrs ago,) Then ... after some scolding.... that curtailed.

NOW.. it is crashing the line by a few spots, instead of keeping it 'numerical'. The new position concept seems to be "Hey, I'm close enough and I WILL get in front of YOU".

3x last week A20 - A25 people were camped out at the A16 position, and exclaim... "What's the difference, I paid my fare!" (2) guy couples were doing this in ELP and said they were PUSHED up to A16 and couldn't help it... I have never seen 'pushing' at SWA (I am used to PUSHING in Asia! (Budget carriers)

Despite the 'entitled scum-bags' (which there are everywhere) SWA boarding is SO much faster and nicer than Legacy carriers. Get on and GO!

My seat mate on a UA flight out of SFO a couple weeks ago made the comment... while SLOW boarding / waiting for people to find THEIR assigned seat... "If we were on SWA, we would have been airborne 10 minutes ago." Let's GO!

Old 03-22-2019, 05:11 AM

3,764 posts, read 3,500,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
$15 - $20 for early bird... if you want it, buy it. (For everyone)
Early Bird is $25 per person.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:27 AM

3,960 posts, read 1,688,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
What does the cost matter? If you have smaller children, you get to board before group B. If you donít, then your kids can survive being in group C and separated. Certainly a husband and wife can be separated.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:06 AM

888 posts, read 458,017 times
Did you save spots for them in the overheads too? Now THAT really torques other passengers up!

Old 03-22-2019, 06:16 AM

9,773 posts, read 4,991,647 times
Quote:
But I can't see why it's selfish to want to sit next to your own family.
It's not selfish to want to sit next to your own family. You just have to pay for it.

You paid extra for the benefit of choosing YOUR (singular) seat early. The rest of your family did not. You're trying to get a benefit for your wife and child for free. That's wildly unfair to the other people who paid properly for the same benefit.

They're cutting in line and not paying for it.

Last edited by hertfordshire; 03-22-2019 at 06:27 AM..

Old 03-22-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
It ranges from $15-25, depending on the length of the flight. Cheaper than the $40 you paid at the airport.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:34 AM

3,764 posts, read 3,500,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It ranges from $15-25, depending on the length of the flight. Cheaper than the $40 you paid at the airport.
Wrong, even the cheapest rate $15 x 3 = $45.
It's cheaper to upgrade one passenger to business select, then save seats for the rest of your party.

It's not cutting in line if you paid for it. Some of these responders are incredibly holier-than-thou.

Sometimes people need to do this type of thing. If I stopped at an empty seat and someone said, "sorry I'm saving that for my wife/daughter/father", I wouldn't get mad or have an attitude. I'd just say "ok, cool" and keep on going.

What kind of sorry, immature, petty person is going to get all bent out of shape over a thing like that? I don't think the angry people at city-data are representative of the general population.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:46 AM

71 posts, read 17,062 times
Quote:
It's cheaper to upgrade one passenger to business select, then save seats for the rest of your party.

It's not cutting in line if you paid for it. Some of these responders are incredibly holier-than-thou.

Sometimes people need to do this type of thing. If I stopped at an empty seat and someone said, "sorry I'm saving that for my wife/daughter/father", I wouldn't get mad or have an attitude. I'd just say "ok, cool" and keep on going.

What kind of sorry, immature, petty person is going to get all bent out of shape over a thing like that? I don't think the angry people at city-data are representative of the general population.
I have always heard if you think it is you against the world bet the farm you are wrong.

After this post by the OP I think Sundaydrive00 hit the nail on the head with post#18.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:05 AM

3,850 posts, read 9,437,792 times
Quote:

Sorry - but it's not being immature or petty, it's the way the system works. You want priority seating then pay for it like the rest of the people who want it. The policy is in place for a reason. If you want assigned seats or the freedom to choose seats, you pay more. Period.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:

I was referring to the per person cost. $15-25 per is less than $40 per. Didn't think I would need to spell that out, but okay.

You did not pay for your wife and child. THEY are cutting in line. You only paid for YOU to get the benefit of choosing a seat early in the process. If you want all three to be able to choose a seat early in the process, you need to pay for all three. They are cutting in line ahead of the other passengers who DID pay for the benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or