U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 07:20 AM

8,644 posts, read 19,081,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
So you're saying, if you don't board together, you don't have the right to sit together?
On Southwest, yes. This is just one of the many reasons i won’t fly SW.

If someone had early bird boarding or upgraded, they could take the seats he was saving. Instead of being a cheapskate, the OP could upgrade the whole party or fly a better airline

Old 03-22-2019, 07:23 AM

645 posts, read 241,738 times
Quote:
What kind of sorry, immature, petty person is going to get all bent out of shape over a thing like that? I don't think the angry people at city-data are representative of the general population.
If I was a passenger on that flight and you did that, would I care? Not really, but I have bigger things to worry about than my seat on a flight. But it doesn't make it right. You need to pay the early bird upgrade for ALL passengers in your group using the privilege.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:01 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,672,995 times
I have only read the first page of responses so far. I fly Southwest fairly frequently. While I think it's okay to save a middle seat for one person, particularly a child under the age of 10 or so, saving an entire row is pretty ballsy and borders on rude. If you all wanted to sit together, you should have paid for all of you to have the early seating. I'm not sure how old your child is, but your wife absolutely could have sat by herself for four hours.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:52 AM

3,764 posts, read 3,504,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I was referring to the per person cost. $15-25 per is less than $40 per. Didn't think I would need to spell that out, but okay.

You did not pay for your wife and child. THEY are cutting in line. You only paid for YOU to get the benefit of choosing a seat early in the process. If you want all three to be able to choose a seat early in the process, you need to pay for all three. They are cutting in line ahead of the other passengers who DID pay for the benefit.
No, they're not. The passengers who are coveting my row are the ones who didn't pay for early bird or business select, so are coming in at the end of B or beginning of C when most of the aisle/window seats near the front of the plane are taken. No one is entitled to any particular seat, so it's not like the people ahead of them were "cheated" out of it. What you want and what you are entitled to are different things. I didn't think I would need to spell that out, but okay.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I have only read the first page of responses so far. I fly Southwest fairly frequently. While I think it's okay to save a middle seat for one person, particularly a child under the age of 10 or so, saving an entire row is pretty ballsy and borders on rude. If you all wanted to sit together, you should have paid for all of you to have the early seating. I'm not sure how old your child is, but your wife absolutely could have sat by herself for four hours.
We were sharing food, and wanting to have some discussions during the flight. Suppose you're apart in the line, and some stranger plops his butt down in the seat you wanted spouse to have, and says "I was here first so I get this seat. Your spouse absolutely can sit by themself for four hours." Would you consider that good etiquette? I wouldn't, and I think most decent people wouldn't.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:00 AM

5,784 posts, read 4,838,667 times
The thing with having a child sit separate from the parent is twofold...1) that child might annoy the passengers he/she is next to, and 2) the adult stranger sitting next to the child is weird (pervy) or has unrealistic expectations of how a child should behave. I could see both of these happening in today's weird world of air travel. And yes I know children fly unaccompanied minor all the time. But unaccompanied minors are seated near the flight attendants and are watched over by them (I flew that way as a child).

Personally I couldn't care less where I'm seated, as an adult, and I don't see what all the fuss is about saving a seat for a family member. In fact I'd MUCH rather that passengers with children sit with their germy, noisy, wiggly, seat kicking kids. I fly SW (and others) all the time and pretty much every seat is just as awful as the next, unless you get exit row or bulkhead seats. Now saving those would be unfair.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If you wanted everyone to sit together, you should have paid to upgrade everyone. Southwest seating is first come, first serve. Those who boarded the flight before your wife should have had priority over those seats, especially as many of them might have also upgraded or paid the early bird.

Southwest doesn't have an official policy on seat saving, so do what you want. But I'd rather not start off a 4-hour flight by pissing off the rest of the passengers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...azy/968172001/

I know there have been other threads aboutbpeo0pe needing to sit with each other for their 4-hour flight. I don't think it's a big deal to be a part for a few hours. If your child is too young to sit alone, then that is something for the flight attendant to help resolve. But again, if it's that important to sit all together, pay the extra amount to all board together. Or at least board with your child who can't sit alone.
I read the linked article, thanks. I guess I'll refrain from saving seats in the future, unless it's really necessary.

If it is necessary, I'll save a row in the very back of the plane, and probably it will not even be an issue.

Thanks to all for your comments (even the snarky ones).
I asked for it, and I got it!

Old 03-22-2019, 09:15 AM

21,177 posts, read 11,791,368 times
The official word from Southwest about this - confirming that they are fine with saving seats for traveling companions. As I said upthread, I personally think no more than 3 (one half of an aisle) is appropriate to save, because who would want the middle seat between two people traveling together anyway? But if you need more than that, a second person in the party should also have arranged for early boarding.

All the "it won't kill you to sit apart people" are ridiculous IMO. Yes, of course it won't kill anyone, just like it won't kill the people who also didn't pay for early boarding to select a different seat than the one someone is saving.

https://www.southwestaircommunity.co...ght/true#M1380

Old 03-22-2019, 09:58 AM

9,807 posts, read 5,016,856 times
Quote:
We were sharing food, and wanting to have some discussions during the flight. Suppose you're apart in the line, and some stranger plops his butt down in the seat you wanted spouse to have, and says "I was here first so I get this seat. Your spouse absolutely can sit by themself for four hours." Would you consider that good etiquette? I wouldn't, and I think most decent people wouldn't.
Well if he were an azz about it, that wouldn't be good etiquette. But if he simply sat in an available seat, as is his right? Nothing wrong with that.

As long as your child is with one of his/her parents, I don't see the problem. If you're going to only upgrade one person, that's your choice to take the gamble, and you shouldn't count on being able to sit together.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:02 AM

5,672 posts, read 3,649,479 times
To me, seat-saving is borderline rude. But then again, so is someone insisting on sitting in an exact specific seat that someone else is trying to save, when other seats of the same type are still available. So my compromise would be that it's probably OK to save one seat, especially a middle one; but not any more than that.

As far as a parent wanting to sit next to their child, I think that most people are willing to try and accommodate that, especially if you ask nicely. I was on a Southwest flight once when I had tried to cheap out by not getting the early-bird thing but checking in exactly 24 hours before the flight. But wouldn't you know it, there was some kind of glitch on my end, and by the time I was able to check in, we were in the C group. (This was for a 6-hour cross-country flight.) So my wife and young daughter managed to snag two seats together, but the only thing I could get with my son (age 9 at the time) was him getting the left-side window next to a couple traveling together, and me getting the middle seat across the aisle from him. Right then, I very politely asked if the couple would be willing to switch with me and the man sitting next to me in the aisle. That way, I could sit next to my son; the man next to me would still have an aisle seat, just on the other side of the aisle; and the couple would still be sitting together, just on the other side of the aisle. Everyone played musical chairs and made the switch, and everyone was happy.

Oh, and lesson learned; now I always get early-bird for all four of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or