U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 10:13 AM

21,339 posts, read 21,917,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
On a recent trip, my family of three took Southwest on a 4 hour flight across the country. I love SW and always try to use them when possible.

This last trip, I didn't get Early Bird seating, and we ended up in the C boarding group for a sold-out flight.

When we got to the airport, I upgraded myself to A-12 for $40, and reserved a row for the family, spreading my stuff around to make it clear. As seats filled up, people began asking if the seats were free. When my wife got there, I joked that I had to fight to defend our seats, and she scolded me for being "insensitive" and "selfish". The people in the row behind us overheard, and apparently gave me a disapproving look.

I don't see how it's selfish to save seats when you're traveling with a child. I don't want us split up, my kid maybe forced to sit with strangers. But maybe there is some unwritten etiquette that you shouldn't save seats for your loved ones on airlines with unassigned seating. Thoughts? Opinions?
you should have given up your seat and moved to the back of the plane, there's no dibs or saves in air travel, you should know that by now and you set a bad example for your children

Old 03-22-2019, 10:16 AM

9,707 posts, read 4,569,501 times
Quote:
I'm not refusing to accept the right answer. I'm definitely going to question a questionable answer. If you don't like being disagreed with, maybe find another discussion to join.

Why is it a "**** move", as you so diplomatically phrase it, to save seats for your family? I can see if someone saves seats for random strangers that they would prefer to have sit near them, for example "I am waiting for a super skinny person to take the middle seat". Now that I would agree is a selfish move. But I can't see why it's selfish to want to sit next to your own family. In fact it's hard to imagine why any decent person would say that unless they themselves have no family and therefore can't relate to wanting to be with loved ones.

You know it was a "**** move". You paid for one early boarding when you could have paid for all your family. Getting A-12 then saving seats was equivalent to getting A-12 and having your wife and kid board as A-13 and A-14.

This is one of those "cheats" that only works as long as most aren't doing it. What if the previous 11 had each saved a row of seats? How can tell a man is traveling with his family and saving seats for them versus a man that is traveling alone and saving seats to have more space if the flight isn't full?

Old 03-22-2019, 10:17 AM

21,189 posts, read 11,808,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
you should have given up your seat and moved to the back of the plane, there's no dibs or saves in air travel, you should know that by now and you set a bad example for your children
Except of course there is - I posted upthread where SOUTHWEST explicitly said it's ok to save seats for travel companions.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Except of course there is - I posted upthread where SOUTHWEST explicitly said it's ok to save seats for travel companions.

As long as it doesn't delay boarding or inconvenience passengers. If another passenger is wanting that seat because other available seats are less desirable, it is both delaying the boarding process and inconveniencing passengers.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,638 posts, read 40,010,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I was referring to the per person cost. $15-25 per is less than $40 per. Didn't think I would need to spell that out, but okay.

You did not pay for your wife and child. THEY are cutting in line. You only paid for YOU to get the benefit of choosing a seat early in the process. If you want all three to be able to choose a seat early in the process, you need to pay for all three. They are cutting in line ahead of the other passengers who DID pay for the benefit.
I agree 100% with Herford...

Wow... what kind of math is adding ALL airfares together for your perks?

From SWA
*EarlyBird Check-In can be purchased at prices ranging from $15 - $25 one-way per passenger. (Clear enough?)

That would be the same as saying... My airfare to x equals 3x the actual fare you paid (per person).

Last I checked... Commercial Airlines sell seats "Per Passenger".

As SWA annouces... "You want to board together as a group? Fall back to furthest position, or buy an upgrade" (To be fair to all).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-22-2019 at 10:33 AM..

Old 03-22-2019, 10:26 AM

21,189 posts, read 11,808,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
As long as it doesn't delay boarding or inconvenience passengers. If another passenger is wanting that seat because other available seats are less desirable, it is both delaying the boarding process and inconveniencing passengers.
So in other words, the second passenger being a spoiled brat is enough to countermand the established practice of allowing seat saving? I don't think so.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So in other words, the second passenger being a spoiled brat is enough to countermand the established practice of allowing seat saving? I don't think so.

You're confused about which one is the spoiled brat.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:55 AM

3,851 posts, read 9,448,416 times
Quote:
I read the linked article, thanks. I guess I'll refrain from saving seats in the future, unless it's really necessary.

If it is necessary, I'll save a row in the very back of the plane, and probably it will not even be an issue.

Thanks to all for your comments (even the snarky ones).
I asked for it, and I got it!

I understand. My husband has a bad hip and the only seat that's comfortable for him is an aisle seat on the left side of the plane. We used to fly SW and I'd pay extra for boarding early even though I was sitting in the middle seat next to him. Then I figured out that we could save a little by getting him the priority boarding and I would take my chances that the middle seat would be available - and if it wasn't, it was no big deal to sit apart.

SW used to be my favorite airline and the open seating concept didn't bother me but now that we're older and have "needs", I travel on airlines that allow me to pre-select a seat and avoid the whole SW boarding fiasco.

I'm glad to see you realize that while it may not be against the rules, it's not really fair to your fellow passengers. And yes, I doubt anyone would fight you for a seat in the back of the plane.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:57 AM

5,453 posts, read 2,840,074 times
Iíve flown SW several times. On one of them, I had already been in my window seat when two parents and one kid decided to sit next to me and in the row behind. That was OK. The part that rankled was how the parents gave me some looks and loud hints (but no actual requests) about being forced to sit in two rows. Oh, WAAAAHHHHHH. I ignored them because I always prefer the window seat. If they had asked me to give up my window seat, I would have said no.

People fly SW because they are, or used to be, less expensive. If that means you donít get the choice of fairly obtaining your preferred seat, oh, well. I donít always get a window seat, and my husband and I have sat in different rows, sometimes quite far apart. That is part of the game, and families shouldnít get special favors beyond the usual one of allowing babyed parents to board in the early queue.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:59 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,677,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You know it was a "**** move". You paid for one early boarding when you could have paid for all your family. Getting A-12 then saving seats was equivalent to getting A-12 and having your wife and kid board as A-13 and A-14.

This is one of those "cheats" that only works as long as most aren't doing it. What if the previous 11 had each saved a row of seats? How can tell a man is traveling with his family and saving seats for them versus a man that is traveling alone and saving seats to have more space if the flight isn't full?
There is where I am with it. Sure, OP, maybe you are special and you have some special circumstance where you and your wife have to have a specific discussion during those four hours of your life. But what about everyone else who also has these extenuating circumstances? Let's say someone is in boarding position B10 and by the time they get on, all that's left for seats are middle seats in the back because everyone else before them had to save an entire row for their assorted family members who are in the C boarding section. Is that really fair?

I get that the thread didn't go the way you were hoping/expecting. But yes, the majority seem to think that you were in the wrong. Perception is really the question, here, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or