U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 10:12 AM

132 posts, read 57,940 times

Advertisements

Considering the Cabins at Disneys Fort Wilderness Resort as a family vacation in October. Any suggestions or feedback would be welcomed. One question is how does one get to the parks from that resort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 10:33 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,656,614 times
Can't help you with the cabins, but FWIW there's a boat that takes you across the lake to the parks (and to a few other places). I always thought the boat ride was a lot of fun and an extra perk, although someone people in my family didn't like it because you had to wait for it.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:50 AM

5,787 posts, read 8,434,459 times
Having stayed in the cabins up to and including deluxe resorts, I will say my opinion is the best part of the cabins is #1 - the price and #2 - if you're really into the "camping vibe". The worst part is #1 - disconnected, only choices for traveling to other areas are the limited boats and buses that require transfers (bus to hub to park) and #2 - the "camping vibe".

How you feel about this "camping vibe" is where you will find either great value or frustration. If you're into this then the fact that you are staying at something akin to a KOA where folks park their campers, it could be great. There are cool events like BBQ or camp fire gatherings, there is Hoop Dee Do show on site that others travel to from the rest of the park - which BTW floods the main area with people who are all trying to get into and out of at the same time. I think Disney does do a good job running extra buses and boats at these peak times, but it still feels extremely crowded and you will wait to get into or out of your "resort" during the show times.

If you're not into the "camping vibe", you will need to weigh the cost savings as the primary benefit. IMO.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:55 AM

Default Any suggestions of any other resorts then.

We r looking for a fun family time. Our children and grandkids are coming too. We thought the cabins might be fun not for the camping experience but for a fun and relaxed time. Plus in October we thought they might have some fun Halloween happenings.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetz View Post
We r looking for a fun family time. Our children and grandkids are coming too. We thought the cabins might be fun not for the camping experience but for a fun and relaxed time. Plus in October we thought they might have some fun Halloween happenings.
If you're not looking for a "camping experience", why are you looking at the Cabins?

Old 03-23-2019, 11:17 AM

Default It seems like it might make for a fun family time. The cabins seem to be quite nice.

It seems more for a campground feel as a true camping experience. If u have other suggestions for a group family vacation at the Disney properties I’d love the suggestion.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetz View Post
It seems more for a campground feel as a true camping experience. If u have other suggestions for a group family vacation at the Disney properties I’d love the suggestion.
I don't because I can't imagine what would be important to you. You zoned in on the Cabins for a reason.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:47 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,335,087 times
We used to stay there often. It is a completely different experience compared to the typical resorts. You can drive one car to the cabin (I have seen people drive two and jamb them in the parking spot). However, you can't use your car to get to the "Settlement" where the restaurants are located and where you catch the boat. You have to use the internal buses for that. The only park the boat takes you to is the Magic Kingdom. From there, it is possible to take the monorail to Epcot if you wish. To get to the other parks you have to take the internal bus or drive up to the "outpost" which is the main lobby building at the front and then catch the bus to your desired park. That is one thing some people don't like....having to wait on and use two different bus systems. One thing that we enjoyed doing and is very popular is they rent golf carts. You can drive the golf carts all around the resort and there is parking for them at the boat docks. So if you rent a golf cart, you can use it rather than taking the internal bus and you can also just cruise around fort widerness (it is a big complex with many streets). Another thing that is unique to Fort Wilderness is the campfire singalong followed by a movie shown outdoors each night along with an appearance of the characters Chip n Dale. They sale marshmallow and smores kits that you can roast on the campfire. Kids love it.

The only downsides I can think of are having to use two bus systems which I already mentioned and the cabins allow for quite a few people in each cabin (10 if I remember correctly) but they only have one bathroom which makes getting ready take a while in the mornings.

I say go for it. It is a different experience and if you have some kids going, they will love it.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:07 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,907,337 times
For family fun....Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Actually a beautiful, African themed hotel, in the middle of a park with live giraffes, zebra, antelopes etc. right outside your deck door! Have a glass of wine while the kids watch the animals right in front...animals have plenty of room to roam, and there are feeding stations set up on the hotel grounds for observing the animals.

Might be cost prohibitive but just so worth the money. Just a fabulous experience. Would have to take bus into DW.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:27 PM

4,127 posts, read 3,785,985 times
Try renting points to stay at a Disney vacation club timeshare property. These are a better value, more space for less money, and they are very nice to stay at. They're on property, have great themed pools, would be a lot less expensive for a large group than staying at the Disney hotels. You have to educate yourself about it, but essentially what you're doing is using someone else's timeshare and paying them for the privilege. It's a bit complicated.

Here's a recent, comprehensive guide to renting points for a disney timeshare stay.

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/re...n-club-points/

Read the entire thing. I used to do this, grabbing bargains by using points that were about to expire, and staying at whatever disney timeshare had a reservation open for when I wanted to go - and ALL the timeshare properties are lovely, with beautiful pools, and free parking - the family will be very happy to stay there. Plus the apartments have either kitchenettes or full kitchens, and usually laundry in unit, too. They range in size from studios to 2 bedroom apartments, and if I recall, they even have "villas" which are larger.

Disney is incredibly expensive. This is a way to have a bigger room at a lovely resort on property, for cheaper than if you stay at the hotels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or