U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 10:30 AM

1,172 posts, read 477,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Chapel of Bones.
Utilizing remains for art or structure.

Zero desire to pay to see it. Macabre isn't for my liking.
There are several “chapel of bones” type attractions in Europe. Have seen the Capuchin Crypt in Rome, which was plenty creepy, as well as St. Michael’s in Dublin (which technically doesn’t qualify, but is listed below). A link to some of these here:

https://www.bootsnall.com/articles/b...es-europe.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 12:31 PM

9,354 posts, read 6,251,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I saw it a decade ago, and looks like it's still at Luxor. A world-traveling friend had never heard of it, so I checked on it today.

Who has seen it, and how did you like it? I was in there so long, totally fascinated, the attendant had to come and find me as DH was worried. He wouldn't go in it 'cause he thought the bodies might have been executed. Doubt that.

https://www.luxor.com/en/entertainme...xhibition.html
No, it came out years ago when we saw it in Cincinnati that there were so many young fit bodies, they had to have been executed.

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news...ese-prisoners/

Old 03-24-2019, 02:00 PM

15,066 posts, read 18,997,066 times
We went to the traveling exhibit in Raleigh just last month. DH was initially not willing to go, but eventually changed his mind. We went with another couple.

I'll probably catch flack for this, but it was fascinating. AND educational. We learned a lot about our bodies - why our joints ache, what happened to my brain when I had a stroke, etc. Yes, we knew all this stuff before, but seeing it as it is displayed is incredibly informative.

I could have spent hours in that place, but others wanted to go to lunch.

The area with the fetuses was in a separate room, with warnings outside. I openly admit that I found that area disconcerting, even disturbing. Yet, still compelling and enlightening.

There were school groups there, and a few parents with older children. They seemed as fascinated as I was.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:49 PM

3,983 posts, read 3,252,328 times
Old news, but still fresh to some I see.

I saw it in 2007, I remember taking a date to the Seattle expo, whom is today a friend. We were better friends than lovers. She liked it. I found it vapid and ghoulish, more for shock value than as abstract art. I'm not squeamish but see why it was protested by certain pressure groups as potentially disrespectful of the departed.

Pass. Waste of my money (though not time, see previous paragraph first sentences).

Old 03-24-2019, 05:22 PM

2,076 posts, read 703,003 times
I wanted to go to the one in KC years ago but DH and I were concerned about the source of the bodies. If I could be confident that they were obtained ethically I'd go.

For those of you who are interested in this type of exhibit, I HIGHLY recommend the Surgeons Museum in Edinburgh- they have rooms full of tumors of every possible type, bones with signs of ankylosis, rickets, arthritis, osteomyelitis.. everything possible. I spent a couple of hours in there.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:56 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
I saw it in either Kansas City or Des Moines many years ago.. It's.. Interesting.. Not something I'd pay money to see again. I can certainly see how some people would find it creepy.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:39 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
saw it when it was at the Tropicana years ago, found nothing at all appealing to it and I left after a few minutes. I have no doubt that grave robbers are using these poor souls for our amusement and their profit.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:57 AM

5,410 posts, read 2,816,274 times
I wonder if that show was in Denver before 2010? There was a show we saw with gross bodily scientific exhibits and good explanations, but I think its title included the word Gross. Kids adored it and, in some cases, sort of trashed the hands-on items.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:43 AM

3,427 posts, read 1,524,633 times
Fascinating to see the varying replies. I know this is a sensitive topic with strongly-held beliefs.

I guess it's whether you think a dead body is sacred (throw me to the crows or fishes). If you are not a medical student, you would never get the chance to see how our bodies are "fearfully and wonderfully made". I was totally engrossed in how our bodies operate--the very elaborate systems that keep us alive.

It's important to see a fatty liver, or a smoker's lung.

I don't like gratuitous violence or horror movies, but the science of this exhibit was compelling.

But I understand it's different for everyone.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:31 AM

1,405 posts, read 813,165 times
Oh you mean the Chinese political prisoners? Yea. Ghoulish but, informative.

...odd, how even without the skin, the height, build and, even underlying muscular structures of the upper cheekbones very clearly show the bodies to be overwhelmingly Chinese.

...heh, even our art is manufactured in China now apparently...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or