U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 02:14 PM

3,431 posts, read 1,527,565 times

Advertisements

I saw it a decade ago, and looks like it's still at Luxor. A world-traveling friend had never heard of it, so I checked on it today.

Who has seen it, and how did you like it? I was in there so long, totally fascinated, the attendant had to come and find me as DH was worried. He wouldn't go in it 'cause he thought the bodies might have been executed. Doubt that.

https://www.luxor.com/en/entertainme...xhibition.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 02:53 PM

37,971 posts, read 55,724,604 times
Concerns have been raised (especially among Catholics) about the bodies' origins, about the ethics of having human remains on display, and about the ethics of allowing children to view displays containing human remains. But the exhibit is continuously shown around the world.

I saw a similar exhibit in Houston few years ago. It was called "The body worlds".
Very interesting and educational.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Worlds

vs
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodies:_The_Exhibition

Bodies the Exhibition Disclaimer
This exhibit displays human remains of Chinese citizens or residents which were originally received by the Chinese Bureau of Police. The Chinese Bureau of Police may receive bodies from Chinese prisons. Premier cannot independently verify that the human remains you are viewing are not those of persons who were incarcerated in Chinese prisons.

This exhibit displays full body cadavers as well as human body parts, organs, fetuses and embryos that come from cadavers of Chinese citizens or residents. With respect to the human parts, organs, fetuses and embryos you are viewing, Premier relies solely on the representations of its Chinese partners and cannot independently verify that they do not belong to persons executed while incarcerated in Chinese prisons.
http://www.premierexhibitions.com/ex...ion-disclaimer

http://www.premierexhibitions.com/ex...ion/learn-more
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 03-23-2019 at 03:30 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 03:17 PM

37,971 posts, read 55,724,604 times
However, I also found this disclaimer:
"Dr. Gunther von Hagens, the inventor of plastination and the impresario behind the Body Worlds exhibitions, says that every whole body exhibited in North America comes from fully informed European and American donors, who gave permission, in writing, for their bodies to be displayed. The science museums that have hosted Body Worlds also make this assurance."
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=5637687

NOTE: the public should be aware that Body Worlds should not be confused with its competitor, BODIES... The Exhibition.

Gunther von Hagens' Body Worlds is now in St. Paul, Minn., Houston and Boston.

BODIES... The Exhibition is in Tampa, Fla., Atlanta, Las Vegas and New York City.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:53 PM

1,172 posts, read 477,867 times
I realize these kinds of exhibits are popular with a lot of people. Things like this creep me out big time, so I’ve never been and don’t plan to go.

YMMV.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:08 PM

13,161 posts, read 20,780,088 times
I saw Bodies in Atlanta. I took my son, who was heading to med school. He was fascinated, but I honestly didn't see the appeal for the average person, like me.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:32 PM

14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Bodies the Exhibition Disclaimer
This exhibit displays human remains of Chinese citizens or residents which were originally received by the Chinese Bureau of Police. The Chinese Bureau of Police may receive bodies from Chinese prisons. Premier cannot independently verify that the human remains you are viewing are not those of persons who were incarcerated in Chinese prisons.

This exhibit displays full body cadavers as well as human body parts, organs, fetuses and embryos that come from cadavers of Chinese citizens or residents. With respect to the human parts, organs, fetuses and embryos you are viewing, Premier relies solely on the representations of its Chinese partners and cannot independently verify that they do not belong to persons executed while incarcerated in Chinese prisons.
http://www.premierexhibitions.com/ex...ion-disclaimer

http://www.premierexhibitions.com/ex...ion/learn-more

One of my issues with that Bodies exhibit is that toward the end of the run, they were exhibiting some of their materials in public places without any warning to those walking by. For example, they had an exhibit in the middle of the walkway between the A and B terminals at Chicago Midway Airport.

I have seen cadavers at the morgue as well as in dissection theatres in a medical school. However, having to see a cadaver not 30 yards from eating establishments is rather tasteless.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:17 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,468,798 times
I've seen it a few years ago and liked it. To me things like this are an opportunity to learn about the world we live in. We all die and these can be any one of us so it's interesting to learn about. I did find out about the source of the bodies and it does not appear permission was given for their bodies to be displayed like this. Ethically, I do not think it's right to display bodies without one's permission so I wouldn't see it again, but that's just my opinion. Others may feel differently.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:33 AM

6,192 posts, read 2,856,740 times
Chapel of Bones.
Utilizing remains for art or structure.

Zero desire to pay to see it. Macabre isn't for my liking.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:11 AM

1,984 posts, read 2,633,656 times
I saw it some years ago in Chicago. I found it fascinating, although I was a bit uneasy about where the bodies came from. The body of the woman with a fetus inside her was the most bothersome. I kept thinking, why is this woman and her baby dead?

Old 03-24-2019, 09:19 AM

3,486 posts, read 1,912,254 times
I saw the dead Chinese several years ago in Seattle and found it fascinating and thought provoking.

How many thousand miles of blood vessels in a human body? It's astonishing. Anyone with even a smattering of interest in anatomy should appreciate the exhibit.

Also reaffirmed my desire for maintaining a lean body. A small serving of body fat, with lots of skin please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or