U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 10:16 AM

42 posts, read 11,637 times

Advertisements

Penang, Malaysia. I loved everything I ate there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 10:23 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,312,423 times
Top ten that come to mind -

Lemon chicken, Loon Fung, Edinburgh
Lamb dopiasa, Shish Mahal, Glasgow
"Cowboy cut" ribeye steak, Land of Magic Steakhouse, Logan, Montana
Pastéis de Bacalhau (Portuguese salt cod fritters), Hotel da Moura, Monsaraz, Portugal
Hainanese chicken rice, Lau Pa Sat hawker centre, Singapore
Cape Malay dinners (various including Bobotie), Noon Gun (now closed, alas) in Cape Town
Silver salmon that I had caught a couple of hours earlier, near Skilak Lake, Alaska
Fesenjan (Persian duck-walnut-pomegranate stew) in Isfahan, Iran.
Beignets at Cafe du Monde, New Orleans. Yep, a cliche. Doesn't matter.
A lemon tart at Hotel La Couleuvrine in Sarlat, France. O. M. G.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:21 AM

3,484 posts, read 1,912,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Hawaii for me. I like fresh fish.
Great fruit too. Ever had fresh Alaskan king salmon?

Old 03-24-2019, 11:23 AM

3,484 posts, read 1,912,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I always thought Turkey until something better came along, and nothing ever did.. .
I haven't been around much, but would have to agree with this.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:38 AM

71,920 posts, read 83,581,802 times
I don't think it would be possible to name just one placer: I have had great fish and seafood all over the world, but certainly Seattle, San Francisco and the Atlantic coast have to be at the top of the list. I know someone remarked the bay area as they live there but most urban cities have great food from all over the world, so I would not say the bay area anymore than Dallas or Los Angeles for starters.

I guess what comes to my mind and it isn't a gourmet dish would be Conge in Hong Kong. If made right it is fantastic. Also impressed with a lot of what we ate in Madrid. For true Mexican food I would say So. Ca even more than Mexico and for bar b cue, Texas has to be at the top of the list, especially good briskett. You want Lobster New England is the spot.

This is why it is hard to name one place.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:09 PM

8,240 posts, read 11,107,651 times
The food at Joe's Shanghai in Flushing, Queens. Other than that, fresh dungeness crab from the Humboldt Bay region.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:19 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
The food in Italy and Sicily

Well except for the desserts. Now the gelato was awesome

Old 03-24-2019, 04:06 PM

13,012 posts, read 6,224,968 times
In the late 60s, when I was a kid, I spent a summer with my aunt and uncle. They were living in West Germany at the time. To this day, I remember the cold cuts I had there---they tasted far better than anything I have had in the US. To this day, I still feel the same way.

Also, they used to have a bakery deliver hot, fresh rolls every morning, just in time for breakfast. Those rolls were still hot when we got them and, like the cold cuts, they were so good that they still live in my memory.

I also miss a food that was easily found in restaurants in Puerto Rico --- pollo frito (fried chicken). The best came from the hole-in-the-wall places. I wish that more PR restaurants on the Mainland had that on their menus. The last time I found it stateside was in a place in MD in the DC 'burbs. It was a mom and pop place. The wife was Puerto Rican and did all the cooking. The husband was Dominican and worked in the front of the house. Sadly, the place didn't last long, as I feared. Most people aren't familiar with Puerto Rican cooking. In the DC area, few people even want to try it.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:35 PM

6,261 posts, read 3,456,069 times
Every meal I have ever eaten in France save one: the tourist trap restaurant on the Eiffel Tower.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:43 PM

13,209 posts, read 6,313,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Great fruit too. Ever had fresh Alaskan king salmon?
You mean wild? They don’t exist anymore. I only had one piece in Vancouver. Everywhere is it’s farmed salmon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or