U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 12:25 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
The food at Joe's Shanghai in Flushing, Queens. Other than that, fresh dungeness crab from the Humboldt Bay region.
yesss !!! Soup dumplings !!! but I went to the Midtown Manhattan location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 12:26 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times
'Bun Cha' in Vietnam.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:04 PM

275 posts, read 253,257 times
Plantation House, Kapalua, Maui, Hawaii.
Smith & Wollensky, south tip of Miami Beach.
Sulpher Creek Ranch (breakfast) Sulphur Creek Ranch - Home You can only get there by plane or horseback. You can hike it but it's a long ass hike.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:20 PM

3,686 posts, read 1,866,292 times
I'm pretty easy to please.

A hot, fresh, huge piece of native fry bread, covered with butter and powdered sugar.

Bliss!

Old 03-26-2019, 04:51 PM

12,265 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I used to work a lot in Singapore some years ago. The engineers were Indian and Chinese and didnít socialize with each other. Iíd alternate going out to dinner with the two groups. I remember going to an open air Chinese seafood food court where they ordered a half dozen dishes for the table. Part way through the dinner, the waiter brings out a large platter with a stainless cover and opens it in front of me with a flourish. There were probably 100 live prawns jumping around on the platter. I guess my eyes got really big. Everybody laughed and they explained that this was to show that the prawns were fresh.

The Indian I had in Singapore was better than London which is my normal benchmark for good Indian.

Singapore chili crab is a favorite.
I was thinking Singapore as well - that's a good example of where you can find excellent international food of any type, Singapore being an international city. Go to that riverfront area and choose your resteraunt -excellent Mexican? they got it. Tapas? they got it. Indian - of course they got it.
And of course if you want cheaper just go to it's Chinatown or Indiatown areas.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:03 PM

3,983 posts, read 3,252,328 times
None of this is too clever. Having been-there, done-that, got the t-shirt in many parts of the world (except Far East), the "best" anything is a retarded question. Should probably ask: where may I find the ...(whatever)... that is:

1) freshest
2) closest in-spirit to what those who consume it, regionally, on a day-to-day basis
3) prepared with natural ingredients, not the hormone and preservative laden **** Americans eat day in, day out.

That does not imply that pizza in Chicago is any "better" or "worse" than-same in, say, Florence Italy. The latter's style is different, they've been making it for seven hundred years since Dante Alighieri was still in books. So...which is "better?" No one here knows, for-sure. And I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Pizza Hut in Florence, too. Who the hell knows or cares?

I'm 100% sure the Kudu braai in South Africa in Namibia is a helluva lot better than-same here, having eaten it every day for a month some years ago. Oh wait: never had Kudu, in Akron Ohio? Perhaps because it it's their version of a cow, and not a one can be found here? Wow. Who knew?

So here in Seattle, we get frozen (but not too long) King Crab legs harvested from those "Deadliest Catch" waters. It is incredibly delicious, and like $35/lb too so clearly a delicacy. So...Seattle has "the best crab legs in the world." Which makes, like, no sense of course. If those famous commercial shipping boats docked in Prince Rupert BC instead of Ballard not far from downtown Seattle, well, hell: guess Prince Rupert would have "the best" King Crab? Dum de dum dum do dee do do...

Ditto sushi. It's delicious here, and Vancouver BC, due to yet again...the freshness, and talented chefs. No more, no less. Oh, and ditto the Thai, which is to-die for at very many places. And Asian foods in general...you can guess why, maybe?

But couple years ago I had some South Indian at a (ahem) south Indian restaurant that opened here in my town. The guy who runs it with his family is from Tamil Nadu, I've spoken with him because I know maybe 50 words of Tamil. His food is drop-dead delicious. I've had the original in Chennai, and little of it was nearly as good as that. So, guess I don't have to go 9,000 miles for "the best" south Indian? Maybe 1.1 miles from my front door? Wow, think of the airfare savings!

Give me a break.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:33 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
When I was a younger man, one sunny and warm day we were sailing in Oslofjord (Norway) just south of the city, and we pulled up to a shrimp boat. They were boiling freshly caught shrimp on the boat and then putting them on ice. My uncle passed the skipper a few kroner and they shoveled a bag of freshly caught and cooked shrimp into a sack and handed it to him over the gunwale.

Then we spread the shrimp out over some newspaper, shucked the shells and put them on slices of butter smeared baguette, topped with fresh dill fronds ripped off the stalks and a squirt of lemon juice, and devoured them while bobbing in the swells while sailboats passed by and the green hills rose on either side. This was followed by skinny dipping in the cold water then sunning in the warmth of the sun on the boat's deck.

One of the most sublime food experiences of my life.

Another superior meal I had was a bowl of cassoulet accompanied by several bottles of wine in a restaurant inside the walls of the castle in Carcasonne.

Although it is a touristy place, I was there in the off season, probably fewer than 50 people in side the walls, and the restaurant was uncrowded to say the least, the couple of other tables that night were speaking French and Spanish, and squalls of freezing rain and snow were blowing about in the inky night while ladles of rich, crusted broth, beans, and duckfat filled our bowls.

Another set of meals that is memorable was when I was a young teenager on a trip to Tanzania. Every day we stopped along the road, dirt roads in the middle of nowhere, and ate these big, thick slabs of brown bread spread with butter and a stew made of some kind of pulses (lentils, I think?). Served with it was a light pilsner. since we only had gritty water, I was allowed to have one bottle of beer with each meal even though I was only 14 years old. Quite the coup. One day we stopped by a village and bought a huge chunk of what I recall was donkey meat which we stewed up and added to the lentils. Sitting under some spreading boughs of a tree in the middle of the backcountry watching baboons scramble around the huge rock formations while eating donkey and lentil stew, and buttered brown bread was almost humbling.

And as exotic as all that sounds, one of my favorite meals can be had at any of dozens of restaurants in my state, cheese enchiladas smothered in New Mexico red chile sauce served with pinto beans and fried potatoes. Almost brings a tear to my eye every time. :-)

Old 03-26-2019, 11:53 PM

578 posts, read 169,193 times
Abalone feast, fresh-caught and prepared by hubby and friends on every New Year's Eve celebration

Sunday breakfast (biscuits, gravy, fried eggs, bacon, grits, fresh juiced oranges) with family where dad cooks and mom assists (a joy to watch them as they age). These meals were once a tradition and we get them now only on family reunions. (it's southern)

Cabo hideaway in MX, lobster, clams, oysters all in one setting - the best I've ever had.

Prime rib dinner in Dallas

Coq Au Vin in France

I also love the McDonalds Big Mac.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:47 AM

629 posts, read 491,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I pretty much never order lobster roll in a restaurant. There is only one true lobster roll. A New England-style hot dog bun grilled in butter. The lobster meat moistened with a bit of Hellmanís and some fresh squeezed lemon juice to adjust the acid balance. In restaurants, theyíll commit crimes against nature. Celery. Onion. A hard roll. The horror of frozen lobster meat. Iceberg lettuce. Rock hard nitrogen ripened factory tomatoes.

I guess Iím ok with a side of melted butter and a lemon slice instead of mayo but I prefer my butter absorbed into the grilled bun in angeoplasty-inducing quantities.

I love Connecticut style lobster rolls. Served warm on a toasted hot dog bun with butter on the roll and some drawn butter on the side for dipping or to pour onto the sandwich. Love lobster in Maine, but the "Maine style" lobster rolls that are cold and have mayonnaise are just not for me.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:49 AM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
None of this is too clever. Having been-there, done-that, got the t-shirt in many parts of the world (except Far East), the "best" anything is a retarded question. Should probably ask: where may I find the ...(whatever)... that is:

1) freshest
2) closest in-spirit to what those who consume it, regionally, on a day-to-day basis
3) prepared with natural ingredients, not the hormone and preservative laden **** Americans eat day in, day out.
I'm enjoying reading the answers folks give, we don't have to go full food-douche in every thread and talk about preservatives and closest in spirit.

As for thread, best I've eaten is good ole' American BBQ. I've never found it anywhere in the world that is close to how I find it and like it in USA. Close second is a well made som tam, it's amazing how much variation in styles there are and when you find someone who gets it just right it's heaven especially on a hot day with a cold beer. Third is probably the many langzho la mian joints in China, nothing like dude stained in flour pulling noodles from dough as fast as folks can order. Snack mention = biltong, I can buy that **** at every convenience store across southern part of Africa and never get tired of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or