U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-27-2019, 11:04 AM
 
Location: interior Alaska
4,485 posts, read 3,318,359 times
Reputation: 13787

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
And yes, I've done road trips with toddlers. But mine was 3 days. Not 7 or 8. OP...it MIGHT make sense to travel at night, when your baby is sleeping. Less distraction, less stops, less traffic, etc. Just a thought.
Not a great idea on the Alcan IME. You want maximum visibility through much of that drive. I think you're imagining a nice freeway cruise - the drive from Alaska to the lower 48 isn't a fraction as rugged as it used to be, especially in summer, but it's still a route that requires the driver to be very attentive. Rough roads, wildlife, hairy mountain sections, lots of road construction, narrow shoulders, lots of truck traffic, etc.

I did a similar route to what the OP is proposing one-way with an older relative and that's a week of my life I'm never getting back, lol. Can't imagine doing it with a toddler, let alone round-trip. And I like road trips. Don't get me wrong, it's doable, but so are lots of tedious, vaguely hazardous things - I wouldn't do it for a wedding. That's what Skype is for. It'd be one thing if the kid were old enough to get something out of the trip, but he's not.

Last edited by Frostnip; 03-27-2019 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2019, 12:38 PM
 
903 posts, read 232,249 times
Reputation: 2052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
If it were me, I'd rent a car. And if given the choice, I'd do a road trip too. Sometimes, it's not practical, with time restraints and such...but heck, I'd take a road trip if I could.


With a road trip, it's JUST her and her child to worry about. Don't have to deal with a squirmy, uncomfortable child on an airplane, with everyone's dissaproval because her kid is acting up. I think she'll be fine.


She WANTS a road trip. She ASKED for suggestions for doing a road trip with a 2 yr. old. What's the point of saying "Don't do road trip"?


And yes, I've done road trips with toddlers. But mine was 3 days. Not 7 or 8. OP...it MIGHT make sense to travel at night, when your baby is sleeping. Less distraction, less stops, less traffic, etc. Just a thought.
I'd rent a car too. I often do for long road trips, although we don't take them often. Better to put the depreciation and wear and tear on someone else's car.

In fairness, though, OP doesn't necessarily say she "wants" a road trip. She just has some strange, vague philosophical aversion to flying which she has no problem vaguely mentioning but refuses to delve into even though it plays a huge role in this discussion. Que sera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 01:56 PM
 
Location: North State (California)
39,538 posts, read 2,987,493 times
Reputation: 12906
Fly. It is the rational thing to do, I think it is very unfair on the child, to drive such a long way.

Plus if you fly, without a stop in Canada, you may be able to use your dl & not bother with a passport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
9,217 posts, read 8,302,227 times
Reputation: 19980
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
Thanks! It is not fear of flying, but unwillingness to go through the procedures currently required to get on an airplane. This is a philosophical principle for us and is non-negotiable; we knew it would make things difficult when we moved, but have so far found the sacrifice to be worthwhile.





!
This is silly. Have principled indignation about something more worthwhile.

Get on a plane and get your son his own seat.

14-16 days of 10-12 hours of driving per day will be miserable for both you and your child.

There is no way this is a good idea for any reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,990 posts, read 8,072,491 times
Reputation: 3287
The train was brought up as an option as well. That could be a happy medium solution between driving and flying. I am not sure I would want to be with a 2 year old on a train for an entire week, but I think it would be easier to entertain him/her, change diapers, interact, have more room to move, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,177 posts, read 11,785,778 times
Reputation: 32183
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The train was brought up as an option as well. That could be a happy medium solution between driving and flying. I am not sure I would want to be with a 2 year old on a train for an entire week, but I think it would be easier to entertain him/her, change diapers, interact, have more room to move, etc.
not really. OP would still have to drive several days to get to the train, and then spend several days on the train going cross country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,990 posts, read 8,072,491 times
Reputation: 3287
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
not really. OP would still have to drive several days to get to the train, and then spend several days on the train going cross country.
Better than 14-16 days of ten hours of driving alone with a 2 year old.

Look, everyone saying "you are dumb not to fly" isn't going to magically make OP conclude "OMG, you are right, my deeply held philosophical beliefs about flying are stupid! Thank you anonymous group of slightly pointed strangers I spoke with online. "

If we, the posters, don't give options that are better than road tripping across a continent alone with a 2 year old, that is what is likely to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 06:11 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Reputation: 33059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
If it were me, I'd rent a car. And if given the choice, I'd do a road trip too. Sometimes, it's not practical, with time restraints and such...but heck, I'd take a road trip if I could.


With a road trip, it's JUST her and her child to worry about. Don't have to deal with a squirmy, uncomfortable child on an airplane, with everyone's dissaproval because her kid is acting up. I think she'll be fine.


She WANTS a road trip. She ASKED for suggestions for doing a road trip with a 2 yr. old. What's the point of saying "Don't do road trip"?


And yes, I've done road trips with toddlers. But mine was 3 days. Not 7 or 8. OP...it MIGHT make sense to travel at night, when your baby is sleeping. Less distraction, less stops, less traffic, etc. Just a thought.
If it were me, I'd fly. Even if I was going alone.

Yep, it's JUST her and her child. No help, plus mom has to drive car as well as tend to child. Yes, she's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
This is silly. Have principled indignation about something more worthwhile.

Get on a plane and get your son his own seat.

14-16 days of 10-12 hours of driving per day will be miserable for both you and your child.

There is no way this is a good idea for any reason.
Agreed. This isn't the "hill to die on".

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The train was brought up as an option as well. That could be a happy medium solution between driving and flying. I am not sure I would want to be with a 2 year old on a train for an entire week, but I think it would be easier to entertain him/her, change diapers, interact, have more room to move, etc.
I think the train would be a good option too, and yes, I've read the post that says Mom would still have to drive to the train, etc. The drive to the train sounds like it would be tolerable. On the train, LO could move about, and the train runs at night, too, so the trip would be shorter, even with a few layovers. When my bro and I were 7 and 8, we took a train trip with my mom from our hometown near Pittsburgh to Milwaukee, about 500 miles. My mom said bro and I went from the drinking fountain to the bathroom the whole trip. It gave us something to do, and she could read a book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 06:27 PM
 
34,380 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Reputation: 29863
How about a Greyhound bus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
Reputation: 8023
Here't the clincher: When you're 90 and there are tubes and beepers everywhere and people are weeping at your bedside, do you want to say you wish you had made drive, or you're glad you made the drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top