U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-29-2019, 11:32 AM
 
Location: interior Alaska
4,476 posts, read 3,314,870 times
Reputation: 13767

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
The train might actually work. Seattle to Harrisburg ticket is under $1,000 for a room with beds. Total travel time 45 hours, switching trains in Chicago and Pittsburgh.

Of course there's the matter of getting from Alaska to Seattle in the first place.
That part's not so bad. Three days driving, or four days on the ferry, give or take where in Alaska you're leaving from. (The ferry all the way to Washington is super spendy if you're bringing a vehicle, but quite reasonable just as a passenger.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2019, 12:23 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Reputation: 33053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
That part's not so bad. Three days driving, or four days on the ferry, give or take where in Alaska you're leaving from. (The ferry all the way to Washington is super spendy if you're bringing a vehicle, but quite reasonable just as a passenger.)
I think the OP lives in Anchorage. Could she take a bus (Greyhound, etc) to Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 12:36 PM
 
1,827 posts, read 783,587 times
Reputation: 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
Lest you think I have disappeared, I have purposefully not engaged in discussing why we won't fly because it is irrelevant to the question at hand. It's also quite apparent that my concerns (all of which center on the safety and well-being of my child, incidentally) would be dismissed or outright mocked if I shared them. I have been through the border crossing and know what to expect. Suffice it to say that I find that the risk involved in the latter to be acceptable while the former is not.

I have a well-maintained and reliable vehicle with fewer than 30k miles on it, and I have AAA plus. I don't fall for overblown sensationalism and I'm not inclined to make decisions based on emotional appeals to fear, so no, axe murderers at a rest stop are not particularly going to factor in my decision any more than worrying about a landslide sweeping us off the road in the Rockies.

Once again I thank those of you who have offered helpful advice and raised concerns respectfully. You have given me many things to consider and I appreciate it.
Take a look at trains. You could drive to Spokane, get a train from Spokane to Chicago (fastest trip is 37 hours) then take a train from Chicago to Pittsburg, PA and have someone pick you up in Pittsburgh. It is about 9 hours by train from Chicago and 3 1/2 hours by car to Gettysburg or you could rent a car in Pittsburgh and drive yourself. I think the cost of all this would be as much or less than the cost of gas, wear and tear on the car, hotel rooms etc. plus on the train you can give you son undivided attention and walk him if he gets restless. Kids 2-12 are 50% off adult fare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 12:55 PM
 
3,964 posts, read 1,693,299 times
Reputation: 8067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
That part's not so bad. Three days driving, or four days on the ferry, give or take where in Alaska you're leaving from. (The ferry all the way to Washington is super spendy if you're bringing a vehicle, but quite reasonable just as a passenger.)
If the OP is just going to take the Amtrak, she might as well take the ferry from Alaska. It is supposed to take 40 hours from Anchorage to drive, which I think is SUPER optimistic with 3 days of driving and a 2-year-old since the OP is going to need to get up, stretch, walk around, change diapers, etc. 4 days is far more realistic. I canít even imagine this part of the drive will have that many places to stay... which I can imagine would be problematic if a two year old gets cranky and just canít take it anymore. What then if you are out in the middle of nowhere in BC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 02:07 PM
 
10,089 posts, read 4,030,213 times
Reputation: 25533
Well, every child is different, and for the OP to even consider this trip, she must have a very exceptionally sedate and sedentary 2 year old. There are those kids, who don't mind sitting in one place for infinite periods of time.

Parents of normally active toddlers wouldn't even entertain this idea.

One of my best friends and I had toddlers, and mine was very difficult to contain even for the length of time it took him to eat a meal in his high chair, whereas hers could be plopped down in front of a TV to watch favorite videos, and he could stay there all day and not get up.

In my opinion, this would be traumatizing for the average 2 year old. They really don't have a great concept of time, and so you can't really say, in 8 days you'll get to get out of the car, so hang on.

Had I done this to my two year old it would have been an excruciating 2 weeks, starting after being in the car about 2 hours.

BTW, I am like the OP in that I love, LOVE long car trips and adventures. Just not with a preschooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 02:26 PM
 
9,780 posts, read 5,000,424 times
Reputation: 33752
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, every child is different, and for the OP to even consider this trip, she must have a very exceptionally sedate and sedentary 2 year old. There are those kids, who don't mind sitting in one place for infinite periods of time.
Even if they don't mind it, it's not healthy for a developing child to sit in one position for that long for that many days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 03:42 PM
 
Location: interior Alaska
4,476 posts, read 3,314,870 times
Reputation: 13767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I think the OP lives in Anchorage. Could she take a bus (Greyhound, etc) to Seattle?
If there is such a bus service, I'm not aware of it. But if she lives in Anchorage she could easily take the ferry directly from Whittier to Washington state. I checked on the AMH site and it'd be $745 for an adult and a toddler without a vehicle, which is more than bare-bones driving, but not crazy, and the agreeable thing is that's it's a fixed cost you can budget for - it's less than driving plus a surprise car repair, say.

Last edited by Frostnip; 03-29-2019 at 03:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 03:58 PM
 
Location: interior Alaska
4,476 posts, read 3,314,870 times
Reputation: 13767
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
If the OP is just going to take the Amtrak, she might as well take the ferry from Alaska. It is supposed to take 40 hours from Anchorage to drive, which I think is SUPER optimistic with 3 days of driving and a 2-year-old since the OP is going to need to get up, stretch, walk around, change diapers, etc. 4 days is far more realistic. I canít even imagine this part of the drive will have that many places to stay... which I can imagine would be problematic if a two year old gets cranky and just canít take it anymore. What then if you are out in the middle of nowhere in BC?
In the summer there's lodging and gas at pretty regular intervals. But yeah, I'd err on the side of longer, especially as from Anchorage it'd take about a day just to get out of Alaska, driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
11,043 posts, read 3,984,632 times
Reputation: 13557
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
Lest you think I have disappeared, I have purposefully not engaged in discussing why we won't fly because it is irrelevant to the question at hand. It's also quite apparent that my concerns (all of which center on the safety and well-being of my child, incidentally) would be dismissed or outright mocked if I shared them. I have been through the border crossing and know what to expect. Suffice it to say that I find that the risk involved in the latter to be acceptable while the former is not.

I have a well-maintained and reliable vehicle with fewer than 30k miles on it, and I have AAA plus. I don't fall for overblown sensationalism and I'm not inclined to make decisions based on emotional appeals to fear, so no, axe murderers at a rest stop are not particularly going to factor in my decision any more than worrying about a landslide sweeping us off the road in the Rockies.

Once again I thank those of you who have offered helpful advice and raised concerns respectfully. You have given me many things to consider and I appreciate it.
So...….you'll go through border crossing inspections, but not the brief look of your ID at an airport? When was the last time you got on a plane? I'm not trying to be rude, just trying o understand. We travel a lot on planes and security is not a big deal. They look at your ID, you may OR MAY NOT go into a screen machine for literally 2 seconds and that's it. You can refuse the machine screen and they will do a 2 second pat down, If you even want to call it that. Going in and out of Canada I think may be more intrusive.

At any rate, I have driven 15 hours with a toddler and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! Seriously! Plus, that is an insane amount of miles and wear and tear to put on your vehicle. Another concern to consider is that by sitting for that many hours, blood clots can form in your legs. And this can happen at any age!

If it's not a fear of flying, then just do it. It will be much more enjoyable for everyone involved, and you will have much more time to visit because the travel time will be quicker.

Last edited by CGab; 03-29-2019 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,375 posts, read 1,663,688 times
Reputation: 7957
The train and bus are both just variations in the same problems. A week with little or no freedom from a secure seat, looking forward to having to do it over again.

Fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top