U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 08:25 PM

38,147 posts, read 14,902,572 times

Advertisements

The ferry from Whittier to Bellingham costs $745. For another $200 you can reserve a roomette with a couple bunks. $315 for an Amtrak ticket from Bellingham to Pittsburg. $1000 if you want a roomette.

If it was me, I'd go for the roomette on the ferry and skip it on the train. $1200 one way.

This would be a terrific trip with a toddler. Think of all the snuggle time and all the opportunities to enjoy and explore the world together.

I've driven the Al Can, ridden the train cross country, and taken the ferry, all with little ones in tow. All are great ways to travel.

But I must say, I have a fondness for the ferry. Truly a unique experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 10:39 PM

4,126 posts, read 3,782,908 times
That kid isn't gonna be snuggling most of the time - he's far more likely to be running up and down the aisles, making friends with everyone on the train, with Mom having to be up and running behind him the entire time. The kid will be a lot happier - the trip will be a TON easier for him, than if he were strapped in a car seat for ten days straight, because he'll be able to do what toddlers need to do all the time - MOVE. Mom, not so much. She'd have to be on duty 24/7 watching the kid, running behind him the entire time, and I don't know how she could sleep, since the kid could get away from her on the train if she falls asleep.

But Mom isn't thinking about his needs. She's focused on her own, rather than his. Or she would never even THINK of putting him through such an awful road trip at the age of two. She'd realize that her philosophical opposition to flying is whacko, and fly, or she'd realize that the road trip would be absolute torture for him, and not go.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, every child is different, and for the OP to even consider this trip, she must have a very exceptionally sedate and sedentary 2 year old. There are those kids, who don't mind sitting in one place for infinite periods of time.

Parents of normally active toddlers wouldn't even entertain this idea.

One of my best friends and I had toddlers, and mine was very difficult to contain even for the length of time it took him to eat a meal in his high chair, whereas hers could be plopped down in front of a TV to watch favorite videos, and he could stay there all day and not get up.

In my opinion, this would be traumatizing for the average 2 year old. They really don't have a great concept of time, and so you can't really say, in 8 days you'll get to get out of the car, so hang on.

Had I done this to my two year old it would have been an excruciating 2 weeks, starting after being in the car about 2 hours.

BTW, I am like the OP in that I love, LOVE long car trips and adventures. Just not with a preschooler.
Honestly, if I had a parent tell me that their two year old was perfectly happy to sit strapped in a car seat for ten days straight, I'd think that there was something seriously wrong with that kid, health-wise!

Old 03-29-2019, 11:14 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
That kid isn't gonna be snuggling most of the time - he's far more likely to be running up and down the aisles, making friends with everyone on the train, with Mom having to be up and running behind him the entire time. The kid will be a lot happier - the trip will be a TON easier for him, than if he were strapped in a car seat for ten days straight, because he'll be able to do what toddlers need to do all the time - MOVE. Mom, not so much. She'd have to be on duty 24/7 watching the kid, running behind him the entire time, and I don't know how she could sleep, since the kid could get away from her on the train if she falls asleep.

But Mom isn't thinking about his needs. She's focused on her own, rather than his. Or she would never even THINK of putting him through such an awful road trip at the age of two. She'd realize that her philosophical opposition to flying is whacko, and fly, or she'd realize that the road trip would be absolute torture for him, and not go.
That would be a lot easier than driving a car through strange territory, plus having to deal with the kid.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Yet another post filled with hateful nonsense, insults, and BS.

My husband was in the military and we traveled all over with our kids. We had a two year old and a four year old when we traveled by car from Texas to Anchorage. Yes, they were both strapped in their car seats. We added more kids to the family and made that trip several more times. Everyone strapped in.

Of course, you have to keep up with your kids on a train and the ferry. Been there. Done that.

But if we hadn't done that, they never would have known their grandparents, their aunts and uncles, their cousins.

Nor would they have soaked in the Laird Hot Springs pools, marveled at the Crazy Horse statue, seen the Yellowstone geysers, ...

Now some parents cannot figure out how to travel with their kids. Which is too damn bad.

We had such good times that our grown kids still want to get together for family trips.

Everyone strapped in, of course.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Honestly, if I had a parent tell me that their two year old was perfectly happy to sit strapped in a car seat for ten days straight, I'd think that there was something seriously wrong with that kid, health-wise!
Malarky.

It's a 4,000 mile trip. 10 days means 400 miles a day or about 6-7 hours a day. Divided into two or three stretches of 2 or 3 hours, it is perfectly reasonable.

Regular stops to run around and eat, things to entertain them in the car such as car seat trays with edible clay, toys, colors, ...

We traveled all over creation with our brood of healthy, happy, energetic kids who grew up to be healthy, happy, energetic adults.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:52 AM

356 posts, read 83,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Malarky.

It's a 4,000 mile trip. 10 days means 400 miles a day or about 6-7 hours a day. Divided into two or three stretches of 2 or 3 hours, it is perfectly reasonable.

Regular stops to run around and eat, things to entertain them in the car such as car seat trays with edible clay, toys, colors, ...

We traveled all over creation with our brood of healthy, happy, energetic kids who grew up to be healthy, happy, energetic adults.
I don't disagree with you, and we travelled a lot with our kids almost from birth.

But a couple key details:

"We" doesn't apply in this case. It's only mom + 1 toddler. IMHO, that's a somewhat different situation.

Let's say it's 10 days out, 10 days back, that's 20 days of what you described for a 1-week visit.

This trip is supposedly for a wedding, a setting that also can present issues for a 2yo and a solo parent.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
I don't disagree with you, and we travelled a lot with our kids almost from birth.

But a couple key details:

"We" doesn't apply in this case. It's only mom + 1 toddler. IMHO, that's a somewhat different situation.

Let's say it's 10 days out, 10 days back, that's 20 days of what you described for a 1-week visit.

This trip is supposedly for a wedding, a setting that also can present issues for a 2yo and a solo parent.
Mom and toddler is indeed different from a back seat filled with kids. And traveling for 3 weeks for a one week visit does seem to be lopsided.

If it were me, I'd stay longer and I'd take the ferry and the train. Save the car trip for a time with hubby and the next toddler would be joining the festivities.

On the other hand, I've always viewed the journey as something to enjoy rather than just tough out until we got to our destination.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Yet another post filled with hateful nonsense, insults, and BS.

My husband was in the military and we traveled all over with our kids. We had a two year old and a four year old when we traveled by car from Texas to Anchorage. Yes, they were both strapped in their car seats. We added more kids to the family and made that trip several more times. Everyone strapped in.

Of course, you have to keep up with your kids on a train and the ferry. Been there. Done that.

But if we hadn't done that, they never would have known their grandparents, their aunts and uncles, their cousins.

Nor would they have soaked in the Laird Hot Springs pools, marveled at the Crazy Horse statue, seen the Yellowstone geysers, ...

Now some parents cannot figure out how to travel with their kids. Which is too damn bad.

We had such good times that our grown kids still want to get together for family trips.

Everyone strapped in, of course.

The operant word is WE. You had TWO adults for these road trips. She's by herself

Old 03-30-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Malarky.

Again, WE. TWO adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or