U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 06:37 PM

21,176 posts, read 11,797,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I can bet you that the bride and groom would be less than thrilled with a two year old at their wedding.
I'm sorry but this is incredibly presumptuous. I've been to lots of weddings where young children were welcomed, esp. if they are the nieces or nephews (or even sometimes the children of) the bride and groom.

I've seen flower girls and ring bearers as young as 2 although my personal feeling on that is it's adorable when it works but you have to be prepared to accept that it might not work out and either do without or know they will end up being accompanied by a parent down the aisle. But then again, if the parent is a brother or sister or very close family member or friend, that probably is ok anyway.

I've been to several weddings where there were sitters who had activities to keep the little ones happily occupied during the reception and even private rooms where the little ones could go with a sitter when they were ready to sleep so their parents could relax and enjoy the rest of the event.

And while of course the bridal couple is always free to specifically exclude children if that's their preference. I doubt very much the OP's brother would be planning a child-free wedding and bother to tell his sister that when she was figuring out whether she'd be able to attend or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 07:36 PM

1,441 posts, read 1,121,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I wonder if the OP is on a No-Fly list.
That occurred to me also.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:02 AM

34,389 posts, read 41,490,319 times
Wonder if after all the advice we have posted the op has changed her plans about driving with 2 year old cross country.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:21 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,684,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wonder if after all the advice we have posted the op has changed her plans about driving with 2 year old cross country.
I have a feeling we'll never know. Doesn't look like she's coming back.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:25 AM

1,994 posts, read 2,638,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Well, her original question ("Am I Crazy?") has been answered again and again, in the affirmative.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:34 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,895,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
Thanks! It is not fear of flying, but unwillingness to go through the procedures currently required to get on an airplane. This is a philosophical principle for us and is non-negotiable; we knew it would make things difficult when we moved, but have so far found the sacrifice to be worthwhile.

It is unclear to me whether those of you who say it's not worth it are speaking from experience. I have heard horror stories and also stories from people who said a trip on this scale was a great experience for all involved.

We will need passports, because the drive requires going through Canada. No way around that, except for taking the ferry, which is prohibitively expensive. We expect this way to be slightly more expensive than flying, but not terribly so, especially since visiting both families would require another flight or a rental car.

This is helpful! I was thinking a hotel every other night, with a shorter day of driving on check-in day to allow for some rest and unwinding. We also have an extra day planned to visit friends about halfway through on the way there; it's probably a good idea to figure in a full day of rest on the way back somewhere too. I appreciate the responses!
Unwilling to go through 10-15 minutes at most a half hour of procedures to get on a plane but willing to put her toddler through 10 days of hell and again 10 days back!!!!

Are you crazy you ask? Well I don't know you, so can't say, but I will say your idea is totally crazy and unreasonable. As an adult I wouldn't put myself through that let alone a two year old. If it was a see America road trip with unlimited time stopping and staying put at points of interest along the way sure.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:08 AM

5,788 posts, read 4,841,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
Thanks! It is not fear of flying, but unwillingness to go through the procedures currently required to get on an airplane. This is a philosophical principle for us and is non-negotiable; we knew it would make things difficult when we moved, but have so far found the sacrifice to be worthwhile.

It is unclear to me whether those of you who say it's not worth it are speaking from experience. I have heard horror stories and also stories from people who said a trip on this scale was a great experience for all involved.

We will need passports, because the drive requires going through Canada. No way around that, except for taking the ferry, which is prohibitively expensive. We expect this way to be slightly more expensive than flying, but not terribly so, especially since visiting both families would require another flight or a rental car.

This is helpful! I was thinking a hotel every other night, with a shorter day of driving on check-in day to allow for some rest and unwinding. We also have an extra day planned to visit friends about halfway through on the way there; it's probably a good idea to figure in a full day of rest on the way back somewhere too. I appreciate the responses!
8 days in a car (round trip) with a 2 year old? No thanks. I've done a 2500 mile trip one way (5 days of driving 10 hours per day and staying in a hotel every night), with my 86 year old, slightly demented, MIL, and that was bad enough. I can't imagine it with a 2 year old. I'm not sure what you find so objectionable about taking off your shoes and have your carry on x-rayed, but it's certainly your right to make yourself miserable to follow your principles.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:59 PM

38,222 posts, read 14,933,179 times
People on this thread have certainly have had some miserable travel experiences.

Hopefully, staying home is more to your liking.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:16 PM

12,649 posts, read 7,559,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
People on this thread have certainly have had some miserable travel experiences.

I love traveling, and also enjoy road trips. We typically take a 2-week vacation and drive to a few destinations.

But 20 days of almost nonstop driving all day with a 2-year-old? Sleeping at rest stops so that the toddler is not only strapped in all day, but all night as well? Yeah, that would be miserable.

Toddlers aren't going to want to be strapped into their car seat for that long. They're going to get restless. Even with toys and food to entertain the kid, I don't know a single kid that isn't constantly dropping toys, food, or their sippy cup somewhere where they can't reach it. Being alone what do you do without another adult to reach back and pick these things up? Stop every 20 minutes? Listen to the kid scream for the toy until the next planned rest stop?

Old 03-31-2019, 07:23 PM

13,106 posts, read 24,895,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Didnít get that impression at all. I love to travel but would not do a car trip like that with a two year old. Maybe you need to teteD the thread if thatís what your getting out of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or