U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 02:34 PM

12,338 posts, read 18,445,635 times

Advertisements

OP appears to have left in anger.
I don't get it, she did ask "am I crazy?" in the title. Everyone gave her the correct answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 03:01 PM

6,672 posts, read 1,388,129 times
We drove "only" 2,000 miles with a dog and a cat (two nights in a pet-friendly motel), with the cat on veterinarian-prescribed tranquilizers, and I simply cannot imagine doing it with a two-year-old child!

I am not trying to discourage you -- it IS your choice and I sincerely wish you luck if you go through with it -- but I just don't think you know how difficult it will probably be unless your child is much less "challenging" than most two-year-olds I have known.

And, as others have said, what would you do if -- God forbid! -- you have some kind of accident or major breakdown in the "middle of nowhere"?

Again, sorry if this sounds discouraging, but I truly do hope you think it through.

Last edited by katharsis; 04-03-2019 at 04:04 PM..

Old 04-03-2019, 03:53 PM

38,318 posts, read 14,990,940 times
Good Lord, what's with all the negative posts about travel on a travel forum?

Two year-olds don't have to face backwards with nothing to do or see. They can face forward, have a lap desk to play with things on, carry on with Mama as she drives, sing, ...

It's a long trip, but a doable one. I've done it. So have lots of mothers. We were crazy, of course. But we all survived and life rolled on. It wasn't hell on earth. Far from it.

If all we ever thought about was death and disaster, none of us would ever leave home.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:08 PM

13,752 posts, read 9,866,710 times
FWIW - If you're annoyed at the arbitrary violation of one's privacy in order to fly in a common carrier, feel free to contact your congresscritter and other public servants.
. . .
I've flown with an expired passport as my 'ID'.

I've also had some 'fun' with bringing medical equipment along and politely annoying TSA agents to be careful with it.
. . .
If you want to rile them up, wear religious garb (nun's habit, or hijab should do nicely). They can't quite figure out how to deal with the odd situations.

You can also hum songs, and tilt your head with the music, while asking every agent to help you because you're visually handicapped. (You didn't say you were blind!)
"Can you read that distant sign for me? I'm visually handicapped."
If your baby's diaper is full, you can keep handing him off to officers, while you fish for some document or item. Double score if he upchucks on them.

Such little things can make a trip into a joyful exercise in comedy.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:17 PM

278 posts, read 151,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
OP appears to have left in anger.
I don't get it, she did ask "am I crazy?" in the title. Everyone gave her the correct answer.
No anger here. I've thanked several people privately who have contributed helpfully and respectfully. I feel no need to respond further, because, as you say, my question was answered many times over. :-)

Old 04-03-2019, 06:40 PM

356 posts, read 84,727 times
It's kind of too bad we won't know the outcome, even if some disagree with the logic.
Makes this whole thread sad...just a bunch of opinions (yes, some were over the top) with no response from the OP, which could encourage others to think more about their own opinions.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:53 PM

5,476 posts, read 2,935,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
. . .
If you want to rile them up, wear religious garb (nun's habit, or hijab should do nicely). They can't quite figure out how to deal with the odd situations.
You obviously do not work in an airport. That is an everyday occurrence.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:05 PM

9,840 posts, read 5,048,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Good Lord, what's with all the negative posts about travel on a travel forum?

Two year-olds don't have to face backwards with nothing to do or see. They can face forward, have a lap desk to play with things on, carry on with Mama as she drives, sing, ...

It's a long trip, but a doable one. I've done it. So have lots of mothers. We were crazy, of course. But we all survived and life rolled on. It wasn't hell on earth. Far from it.

If all we ever thought about was death and disaster, none of us would ever leave home.
Car seat recommendations say rear facing until at least 2, but preferably longer.

And when the 2 year old drops whatever they were playing with and has a meltdown? Because as I'm sure you know since you're a mother, 2 year olds drop things A LOT. Is the OP going to pull over every time?

It's going to be extraordinarily boring. How much can mom and kiddo "carry on" for long periods of time for 10 days? More than likely, kiddo will sleep. A lot. Except at night. S/he will be wide awake then.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:59 PM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Right, or traffic, driving more slowly or stopping due to inclement weather, etc. With a toddler, I could see this taking 12 days one-way if you throw in a couple of traffic episodes, a day of torrential downpours, and a day where the toddler has diarrhea or vomiting from eating all of the fast food they're likely to eat.
To add to the above, I could see the Mom missing the wedding because of an extra day on the road d/t car trouble, illness, etc.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:20 PM

361 posts, read 239,075 times
Mom of 5 here. OP if you are still reading this will be literal hell on earth for you. We've driven long distance with a 2 year old a few times. Twice from NY to FL and once from Denver to CO- literally straight with only rest stops. I cannot fathom doing that by myself AT ALL, never mind doing your plan. Making a 2 year sit in a car seat for 9 hours a day for 8-9 days straight and then back again is really unwise idea. You can't tend to him without stopping and he's not old enough to get his own snacks, toys, deal with a non functioning tablet or whatever. Take the train suggestion if you decide to make this trip and I highly recommend staying longer than a week where you are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or